joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you're right, Jon, (as every day is precious now) but I'll put $5.00 on February 3 - 5 as the kicker.  Phil

Well, it's likely a 10-day type shot wrt timing, model could be too soon. So yeah, last few days of Jan thru first week of Feb is the time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, packbacker said:

This winter is getting progressively warmer...typical Nina.  I think Feb could be really ugly and thus timing won't have anything to do with it.   I imagine if I plotted the Feb's of Nina's that were AN in the SE for Dec/Jan it wouldn't be pretty.  We had our chance at a snowy Nina...

Pack,. I wonder if all those Febs were snow busts though 

Just now, BIG FROSTY said:

I do too, I think we have a few good chances coming before March breaks warm!!! 

I do too. I think we have a chance at the end of the month into the first of February then another chance at the end of February. I think will all the early summer calls there will be a cliche in the pattern. I think as we get into March we see a warm up but then cold with big blocking coming through but too late for most in the SE. I could be wrong but thats how I think it will evolve.

25 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I do too. I think we have a chance at the end of the month into the first of February then another chance at the end of February. I think will all the early summer calls there will be a cliche in the pattern. I think as we get into March we see a warm up but then cold with big blocking coming through but too late for most in the SE. I could be wrong but thats how I think it will evolve.

JB thinks LATE spring for eastern half of nation? IDK Just passing info along!! Joe D'Aleo said cold may return week after next, which puts into the last week... I feel good about the pattern MJO looks COLD on GFS, JMA, Euro Phase 1 coming up......

5 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

12z ECMWF Ensemble showed a cooler looking pattern returning by last week of January. Perhaps rushed, but lines up with my thinking.

I very much agree with this, not sure why everyone jumped on me for saying about the same thing the past few days.

Instead of perhaps, I am very much confident it is too quick its a like the north-west trend thing, happens all the time. Watch second or third week of February no sooner.

3 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Wasn't the winter of 2010-11 a La Nina year?  That was one of the best years for cold and snow in recent memory around here.

I believe that was an east based La Niña and at some point mid winter it began shifting more into being central based.  As soon as that occurred the blocking broke down and winter basically ended after 2/1 for most of the eastern US

14 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I believe that was an east based La Niña and at some point mid winter it began shifting more into being central based.  As soon as that occurred the blocking broke down and winter basically ended after 2/1 for most of the eastern US

-VP has been buried on 120e so far this winter but GEFS shows that changing and I would guess EPS does too with what it's hinting.  You buying shift of trop forcing...#ninopattern?

IMG_3926.GIF

IMG_3927.PNG

1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

Pack,. I wonder if all those Febs were snow busts though 

Well even the dud Nina winters has snow in Feb...2013, 2012, 2008 and 2006 had a big western NC snow.  Come end of Jan we will be well AN (southeast).   Feels fortunate to have any snow/ice up to this point actually. 

5 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Does anyone remember the Jan 1985 cold wave ? It was an incredible -24 in Knoxville ! That's almost hard to believe. There must have been a thick snowcover in order to support those kind of temps.

i was attending the Professional Academy of Broadcasting that year in knoxville, went to Ky. for the weekend and the pipes in the apartment above our had burst and flooded ours......we left the heat on, they had not....so yes we recall that one.

3 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Does anyone remember the Jan 1985 cold wave ? It was an incredible -24 in Knoxville ! That's almost hard to believe. There must have been a thick snowcover in order to support those kind of temps.

Actually there was no snow cover at least not here in NC where we recorded -4 here at PGV....most stations in NC were snow free and recorded their record lowest temps ever....

That was cold! 10º here.

But - perspective - the 1985 month of January stared and ended here near 80º.

Jan 21 1985 history for here:

Temperature  
Mean Temperature   19 °F    
Max Temperature 28 °F    
Min Temperature 10 °F    

All it takes is one blast to skew averages!

Still progging a N Jan when all is averaged in, and BN and wet Feb ....

histGraphAll.gif

1 hour ago, Timothy Clyde said:

I very much agree with this, not sure why everyone jumped on me for saying about the same thing the past few days.

Instead of perhaps, I am very much confident it is too quick its a like the north-west trend thing, happens all the time. Watch second or third week of February no sooner.

The last week of January has ensemble support though linging with the MJO. Also you where wrong about the snow amounts here in the mountains. You said the models where showing fantasy snow in the mountains and said they where wrong. No you where wrong with no facts to back your statements up.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Three years ago we had -13 degrees with no snow cover. It's not that hard to believe. It's all about patterns. We have just been stuck in absolutely crappy patterns for awhile.

Just now, Met1985 said:

Three years ago we had -13 degrees with no snow cover. It's not that hard to believe. It's all about patterns. We have just been stuck in absolutely crappy patterns for awhile.

Yeah but you are high in elevation. It's just hard to imagine a lower elevation area in the south being -24.

Archived