• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX

Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Uber the winter storm warning until Tuesday!? Guess they issue those for rain now!? 

WHAT IF SOMEONE HYDROPLANES! :lmao:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, burrel2 said:

Every model wasn't too cold for Charlotte if you don't base a model busting or verifying off the clown map predictions which honestly mean nothing in terms of what a model is actually showing.

For instance, some clown maps don't account for warm air above 850mb... some of them don't account for surface temps being above freezing...

As an example: If the GFS is showing a moderate snow sounding at noon with all layers below freezing except the surface temperature is 34 degree's for 3 hours. It's clown maps will show 3 inches of accumulations, but in reality there be 0 accumulation due to the 34 degree surface temperature and solar insolation.

If that verified exactly as the model predicted, there would be 0 accumulation, but Mack would be on here a few hours later crying about how terrible GFS did with his snowstorm.

Good post. I have No idea why anyone even looks at snow accumulation maps unless temps start below freezing and you know for sure everything will stick. 

5 hours ago, burrel2 said:

To talk further about this specific storm in charlotte. A lot of models were showing a possible "sleet" sounding, but in reality the low level cold pool may not have been deep enough to freeze the water droplets leading to plain rain.  The skew-T could have been dead accurate by that models prediction, but the clown map/precip type map is not sophisticated enough to read a sounding and accurately describe would is falling from the sky with that sounding at every point location in the region.

So precip type map may show all of charlotte in the sleet color zone, when in reality it's simply raining there, but the model did not bust on it's analysis,(other than the precip type maps).

Over ne ga, the hrrr showed too much sleet. It showed gainesvlle getting 6 hours of it but in reality they only got a little bit during the heavier rates. And it showed sleet making down to here and unless there was a little in the heavier showers, i never saw any. It was pretty obvious it was in error as it showed the max temp above ground getting to near 40 at the time it was showing it and the warm layer was deep. 

The fv3 over did the snow a bit a little bit but otherwise did an ok job as  snow got down to cornelia and surrounding areas for an hour or two. Nam on the other hand failed to show it. Nam was too warm yesterday but in the end was about right as far as the lowest temps went.  FV3 was actually a degree or two TOO cold. 

1 hour ago, lilj4425 said:

Yeah. I can’t wait for some cold rain. :axe: Just what we need...more rain. 

lol...What makes it worse is the best chance is further to the south AND the rich will get richer as those who got a lot today will get even more. So that means there could be a zone that has been exceptionally screwed and tortured where they watched areas to the north get snow last night/this morning and then watch areas to the south get some tonight/tomorrow morning.  In my case, I fear i'm going to be in a situation where it's snowing a couple of counties over while it's dry here. I'd be happy just seeing a little bit falling through the air but will be lucky to even get that. 

I’m going to be in Greensboro, NC for Christmas.  I need this. :weenie:

After getting repeatedly screwed where we live especially last night, I am for this, just make suppress it and make it stronger than currently advertised. We need a south of I-85 storm. You northern folks already got yours. It’s time for people farther south to cash in. Sorry, but not sorry. Lol.

10 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

After getting repeatedly screwed where we live especially last night, I am for this, just make suppress it and make it stronger than currently advertised. We need a south of I-85 storm. You northern folks already got yours. It’s time for people farther south to cash in. Sorry, but not sorry. Lol.

Yep. NWGA and coastal areas got it big last year. NC gets it big every year. Need an ATL to GSP to FLO to CAE big dog. 

41 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yep. NWGA and coastal areas got it big last year. NC gets it big every year. Need an ATL to GSP to FLO to CAE big dog. 

Valentines weekend 2010 and don’t forget about last years coastal event

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearhead302 said:

Somebody page brick and orangeburg so they can get this thread started up now

Yall laugh at the brickster, but he just got double digit snowfall when everyone was telling him to ignore models. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Oh how I wish for a repeat of that...

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Yall laugh at the brickster, but he just got double digit snowfall when everyone was telling him to ignore models. 

And I have a flizzard for the last hour or so (and it is still going on)

1 hour ago, ryan1234 said:

Mother nature doesn't care who "wins" in snowfall.

Signed,

I got 16" today. :lol: You guys can have the next one, unless it's on Christmas, in which case we'll take that one too and you guys can have the next one...:lol:

2 hours ago, JoshM said:

Merry Christmas!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_52.png

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't have an imagination. Anyone else see the green Godzilla carrying a big blue fish with a green tail?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

33/rain in Matthews again 
This is maddening 

It really is a really personal h*ll isn’t it? I don’t think I’ve ever woke up and been so disappointed by the lack of any snow, what’s so ever. I would of been happy with an inch or 2.

1 minute ago, ryan1234 said:

It really is a really personal h*ll isn’t it? I don’t think I’ve ever woke up and been so disappointed by the lack of any snow, what’s so ever. I would of been happy with an inch or 2.

It really is disappointing. I hope this doesn’t happen all winter

It really is disappointing. I hope this doesn’t happen all winter

I hope not either. Depending on how this winter goes will determine whether or not I decide to move to somewhere that actually does see snow. Aka north of 85.

59 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Radar looks awful for the Charlotte area. Starting to fill in nicely RDU, GSO, Asheboro. 2nd round cancel?!

It's all zr right now I don't think you're missing out