• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
Jonathan

Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

I remember a few years ago we had a basically all sleet storm. It was kind of amazing in its own way. We had something absurd like 5" of sleet but the really crazy thing was the foot deep sleet drift on my back deck where it had rolled down the roof and piled up. I don't remember how long exactly but it took forever for it to melt. Feels like it may be time for another one of those. Also instead of snow cream we tried to make snow icees from the sleet. Do not recommend. Maybe get some fruit flavored syrup instead of vanilla/sugar/milk or something.

2 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I've just come to the sudden reallization that I'm a terrible parent. We had told our son it may snow today. He got up this morning and looked out of his window, then came into our room to dejectedly report "Daddy, all I see is rain." 

I tell you, teaching my son to be a snow lover AND a Gamecock fan while living in the upstate is setting him up for a life of heartache... what am I doing! :facepalm:

I feel you pain.....

I just do not get all the negativity. Sure it may or may not snow/sleet/ice or whatever but some people get so happy when the negative forecasts verify or start coming in. That's when their post counts start going up and and they seem to become giddy. I would hate to to through life that way. It must be down right miserable.

9 minutes ago, Cornsnow said:

I just do not get all the negativity. Sure it may or may not snow/sleet/ice or whatever but some people get so happy when the negative forecasts verify or start coming in. That's when their post counts start going up and and they seem to become giddy. I would hate to to through life that way. It must be down right miserable.

If you follow a winter weather forum, there’s a 100% chance you are a snow weenie deep down inside. 100%. People show heartache in their own ways. They’re projecting. There’s a lot of bitterness built up for years and years of disappointment. Missing out on the “big one”. Insanity, really. Having lived where they live for most, if not all, of their lives and every year they somehow think things will be different. Time marches on.

7 minutes ago, Cornsnow said:

lilj and mack...cough cough 

11 minutes ago, Regan said:

Wow. Everyone jumped the cliff over the Euro. 

That's because it is euronating on our snow event.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

If you follow a winter weather forum, there’s a 100% chance you are a snow weenie deep down inside. 100%. People show heartache in their own ways. They’re projecting. There’s a lot of bitterness built up for years and years of disappointment. Missing out on the “big one”. Insanity, really. Having lived where they live for most, if not all, of their lives and every year they somehow think things will be different. Time marches on.

Southern boy born and raised and not a young one at that now that I am older. I've been burned plenty by the warm nose and severely disappointed. It is just not really a way to go through life. It's miserable and has to suck. As much as people say that is only how they react to snow I am sure there is at least a small reflection of how that corresponds to how they are in daily life. That's all I am saying .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

That's because it is euronating on our snow event.

Someone said it went from 8-12 to 4-6 snow/crud for Wake?  Not shabby. Frankly, I think. January will be stormy. I think Jonathan Wall tweeted about Jan 3-21 being interesting and maybe this is just an appetizer.  I’m not gonna complain about this one if it’s busts. The kids don’t need to be missing school for snow yet. Only so many make-up days. School is out June 11 and we fly out the 15th to the Dominican. 

1 hour ago, Dunkman said:

Oh we're all going to be in here for this one I think!

Hey, man, you're going to have a nice storm as long as you haven't bought into some of the "historic" storm hype (maybe for the northern mountains).  Looks like a typical 6-8" snow/sleet/ice mixed bag for the Triad still to me.  A front end thump of snow that's exciting followed by an infuriating length of sleet after that that makes you wonder what could have been.  See: February 2014, December 2009, etc.... :lmao:

Wouldn't be surprised if the precip arrives earlier than expected, either, which seems common with these.  The timing with regards to the time of day seems decent for the Triad, at least, not that the sun angle is any significant overriding factor this time of year, anyways.

How I’m feeling right now is I’m ready to fw. If it’s gonna do it, do it. If not don’t. Riding this rollercoaster is exhausting. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

I’m hearing taps being played. Throwing in the towel. 

You've thrown in the towel so many times with this storm I'm surprised you have any left. You've made it clear how pessimistic you are about it. 

Just now, UpstateSCBud said:

You've thrown in the towel so many times with this storm I'm surprised you have any left. You've made it clear how pessimistic you are about it. 

:D It is the vent thread after all. 

2 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

Hey, man, you're going to have a nice storm as long as you haven't bought into some of the "historic" storm hype (maybe for the northern mountains).  Looks like a typical 6-8" snow/sleet/ice mixed bag for the Triad still to me.  A front end thump of snow that's exciting followed by an infuriating length of sleet after that that makes you wonder what could have been.  See: February 2014, December 2009, etc.... :lmao:

Wouldn't be surprised if the precip arrives earlier than expected, either, which seems common with these.  The timing with regards to the time of day seems decent for the Triad, at least, not that the sun angle is any significant overriding factor this time of year, anyways.

Thanks, yeah I hope so. Takes a perfect setup for us to stay snow when the QPF approaches an inch or more and this is not that. I'll be happy to take our usual this early in the season.

• Like 1

Has there ever been a storm in Upstate SC where the warm nose was a non-factor? I’ve lived here my whole life but have only really gotten into the technical aspects of meteorology the past few years and it seems it always has to rear it’s stupid, ugly, head every time!

Just a lurker. I noticed there aren’t many RDU posters for this event. Did we pretty much bust already? I see a lot of conflicting maps so no idea what’s going on at this point. :)

1 minute ago, thess said:

Just a lurker. I noticed there aren’t many RDU posters for this event. Did we pretty much bust already? I see a lot of conflicting maps so no idea what’s going on at this point. :)

Yup, we're all ready for the long cold rain

2 minutes ago, thess said:

I'm from the RDU area.

I think we will see at least 4-6 hours of snow beginning around 2-4 am and ending around 8-10 am. Likely will accumulate about 2-4" of snow sleet mix. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thess said:

North Raleigh poster here.  I’m prepared to watch Chapel Hill get 8” of snow while we get 1” of sleet and cold rain.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigerchick224 said:

Has there ever been a storm in Upstate SC where the warm nose was a non-factor? I’ve lived here my whole life but have only really gotten into the technical aspects of meteorology the past few years and it seems it always has to rear it’s stupid, ugly, head every time!

That's a good question. Climatology is a real b*tch and it's hard to get just snow here. Even in the 93 superstorm I remember sleet mixing in here. 

• Like 1

That's a good question. Climatology is a real b*tch and it's hard to get just snow here. Even in the 93 superstorm I remember sleet mixing in here. 

It most certainly is. Everything about this geographic area is ridiculously complex. I recall a storm I think in 2011 (?) that was mostly snow and I’m wondering if that had a warm nose issue at all. That storm was directly after the white Christmas we had, just a few weeks earlier.

3 minutes ago, Tigerchick224 said:

It most certainly is. Everything about this geographic area is ridiculously complex. I recall a storm I think in 2011 (?) that was mostly snow and I’m wondering if that had a warm nose issue at all. That storm was directly after the white Christmas we had, just a few weeks earlier.

You’re talking about the January 2011 system.  The funny thing about that one was that it was mostly sleet/freezing rain in central NC.

https://www.weather.gov/media/gsp/localdat/cases/2011/Snow%26FrzgRain_10 Jan11.pdf

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UpstateSCBud said:

Well, to be fair, the 93 superstorm was in March.

• Like 1