Newest Member
    Toothache
Thread for 12/14 potential dusting, arctic air, and 12/17 potential slop

North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, high risk said:

Bob, that's just labeling.   There is no parallel 4km nest;  the resolution is increased to 3km in the new version.   The NCEP site has no ability to change the labels on the parallel site without a special implementation, but mageval is showing the 3km nest.

Gotchya. The smart play is to hug the snowiest, iciest, coldest solution and toss anything else. I'll go with TT. 

18 minutes ago, high risk said:

no way.    Look at Michigan.    Most of the state on TT is > 0.5", while only a county or two exceeds 0.5" on the NCEP site.     Similar discrepancy for PA.   And check out the max in southeast NJ:  1"+ on NCEP but 2"+ on TT.

I was just looking at our area.  I also see that TT scale is more defined as well... so that might have something to do with it as well

15 minutes ago, high risk said:

Bob, that's just labeling.   There is no parallel 4km nest;  the resolution is increased to 3km in the new version.   The NCEP site has no ability to change the labels on the parallel site without a special implementation, but mageval is showing the 3km nest.

wxbell agrees with the NCEP site, TT must have something wrong in their map conversion

I don't have much to add here.  As this has become more of an ice then snow/mixed event its really going to come down to surface temps and micro scale stuff.  As for where gets decent precip, the models all have the cutoff across our area and obviously north is favored but exactly where that sets up is a nowcast thing.  The only thing I will add is this is probably about expectations.  Everytime this happens some have this idea of some crazy ice event and that is just not going to happen.  But a tenth of an inch of ice can make travel a mess for a while.  It will be icy and some places could get a quarter inch of ice, maybe a half in northern areas, but unless your stupid and try to drive or run on it by early afternoon most of us will have no evidence anything ever happened.  Just have to keep expectations in line, and for those that have to drive early tomorrow it is a serious situation so dont take it too lightly, all it takes is a patch of ice to ruin your weekend.  If ice is your thing enjoy it.  We will see where the best precip sets up later tonight.  I am just rooting to get a burst of snow and maybe an inch or so before going to ice up here.  Enough for my son to see white and get excited in the morning. 

10 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

What an uninspiring radar upstream. Was hoping to at least have a slug of Virga to track by this point. 

Precipitation will basically almost develop overhead as that warm air rides over the cold....wasnt suppose to be anything to track really at this point and there probably wont be until about midnight

14 minutes ago, nj2va said:

12 degrees here. We look to be above freezing around 12z tomorrow based on current guidance. NWS saying 0.2-0.3" ice accretion here.

Probably not until closer to 15z. Guidance has us all in the upper 20's at 12z. Surface cold almost always hangs a little longer than modeled. We're not starting with marginal temps either and It will be below freezing all the way into NC so even south winds won't make it a quick trip. 

Probably not until closer to 15z. Guidance has us all in the upper 20's at 12z. Surface cold almost always hangs a little longer than modeled. We're not starting with marginal temps either and It will be below freezing all the way into NC so even south winds won't make it a quick trip. 

You'll hold onto the surface longer than me (I'm out in McHenry this weekend). HRRR has me near 40 by 14z. Still getting used to the climate here so I'm curious how the models do with surface cold here.

I havent started drinking yet tonight but I do believe my radar hallucinating eyes detect the beginning of moistening column in western/central Virginia. DPs on the rise, south winds to 5 kts. Precip may break out an hour or so either side of midnight. I am most likely wrong. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived