Newest Member
    joxey
Thread for 12/14 potential dusting, arctic air, and 12/17 potential slop

North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mappy said:

Haha, oops. Tapatalk crashed when I tried posting the first time, hence the second, slightly edited version. Gonna keep them there because it's kind of hilarious

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Haha, oops. Tapatalk crashed when I tried posting the first time, hence the second, slightly edited version. Gonna keep them there because it's kind of hilarious

:lol::lol::lol: 

I hate to go off track and actually talk about the models (:rolleyes:), but I think that the tropical tidbits crew is doing something wrong when plotting the parallel NAM nest (3 km) precip.   The amounts just look unrealistically high, especially for a model whose verification scores have been pretty good.    If you compare the TT precip with precip on the NCEP site (mageval.ncep.noaa.gov), the NCEP plots show much lower and more reasonable precip.

nam3km_apcpn_neus_36.png

nam-hires_conus_036_precip_p36.gif

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

I hate to go off track and actually talk about the models (:rolleyes:), but I think that the tropical tidbits crew is doing something wrong when plotting the parallel NAM nest (3 km) precip.   The amounts just look unrealistically high, especially for a model whose verification scores have been pretty good.    If you compare the TT precip with precip on the NCEP site (mageval.ncep.noaa.gov), the NCEP plots show much lower and more reasonable precip.

nam3km_apcpn_neus_36.png

nam-hires_conus_036_precip_p36.gif

I think they look pretty similar... it is just one is more zoomed in than the other

8 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

I think they look pretty similar... it is just one is more zoomed in than the other

no way.    Look at Michigan.    Most of the state on TT is > 0.5", while only a county or two exceeds 0.5" on the NCEP site.     Similar discrepancy for PA.   And check out the max in southeast NJ:  1"+ on NCEP but 2"+ on TT.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@high risk

TT is 3k nam and ncep is 4k. Not sure if that makes any difference though. 

Bob, that's just labeling.   There is no parallel 4km nest;  the resolution is increased to 3km in the new version.   The NCEP site has no ability to change the labels on the parallel site without a special implementation, but mageval is showing the 3km nest.

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived