Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thread for 12/14 potential dusting, arctic air, and 12/17 potential slop

North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

When I punch this link in I get a different configuration laid out on my screen  then your above post. I wonder if it's just my android phone . Or did you pull certain lines and group them together? 

just took a screenshot of the hours. 

I have noticed when looking at cobb on mobile (or on my ipad) it doesn't always load properly. 

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Have to disagree with my fellow posters this time. 

The ground and roads are well below freezing.  This time, you could get freezing rain without freezing temps.

If we get upwards of 0.2" of precip early, it's going to be a mess.  The best thing, modeled, is a quick warmup.

Agreed... even when the air temp gets above 32... it will take some time for the ground to get above 32.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Have to disagree with my fellow posters this time. 

The ground and roads are well below freezing.  This time, you could get freezing rain without freezing temps.

If we get upwards of 0.2" of precip early, it's going to be a mess.  The best thing, modeled, is a quick warmup.

3 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Agreed... even when the air temp gets above 32... it will take some time for the ground to get above 32.

That happened in the 90s one time.  A few days of below 32 and then it warmed quick one morning with very light showers.  Hit right at rush hour and the quick flash freeze before the ground warmed made driving at work very slippery

19 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Yup, especially if there is a little snow/sleet on the ground.  Cold 2m temps can be hard to scour out.  0.5m temps down below the primary effects of the wind even more so when there is some snow/ice over top of very cold, frozen ground.

RGEM is obviously the highest impact but it stands alone. However, the NAM brothers shifted the heaviest precip axis south from their 6z runs but still nothing like the RGEM with the .5 line south of DC. WAA precip can be tricky sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me if all models trend south a little. 

ETA:

Comparing the .5 line @ 15z on the last 2 rgem runs, it trended south as well. If 12z holds then things get a little more interesting. 

15.2 at the house currently with a solid cloud deck....if clouds hold the rest of the day, our starting point temp is going to be lower.  Like most here, my expectations are extremely low but it won't keep me from watching the radar later today with the hope that the models are underestimating the overrunning.

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

as exciting as the radar may be, no station any where near us is reporting precip reaching the ground as of 9AM

Yup.  For those excited by the returns to the west, here's a high res streaming web cam up at 4,800 ft. right under those returns.  Nary a flake.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/media-room/snowshoe-village-live-cam

40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

RGEM is obviously the highest impact but it stands alone. However, the NAM brothers shifted the heaviest precip axis south from their 6z runs but still nothing like the RGEM with the .5 line south of DC. WAA precip can be tricky sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me if all models trend south a little. 

ETA:

Comparing the .5 line @ 15z on the last 2 rgem runs, it trended south as well. If 12z holds then things get a little more interesting. 

I know nobodys talking about it but i think this event may rival the Jan 2016 blizzard in terms of cloud cover

42 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

ETA:

RGEM is super duper wet.

w13Guab.jpg

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived