Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After spending the last week watching the models run lock step with each other run after run we may now be seeing hints of a possible pattern reshuffle. Looking at the various runs over the last couple of days the models are now diverging somewhat on a key feature that would have implications down the road. Looking at the 500's the GEFS has steadily moved towards intensifying higher heights over the polar regions with what looks to be attempts to bridge an Aleutian ridge with an Western Europe ridge. On the other hand the EPS has steadily increased the low height anomalies in this region presenting a strong PV feature over the polar regions. The CMC for the most part leans fairly heavily towards the GEFS at this time. Now whether the GEFS is right with possible changes in the polar region at this time or the EPS with its more of the same old, same old only time will tell but just the fact that we are now beginning to see divergence from run to run and from model to model gives me hope that a pattern change may be sooner rather then later.

Here is a comparison of the GEFS and the EPS. Note the differences in the polar regions. The EPS shows day 10 because I can not use Euro images from weatherbell and tropicaltidbits only goes to day 10. But it is very similar to day 15 except for the fact that the low height anomalies are more intense through the polar regions.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

19 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

After spending the last week watching the models run lock step with each other run after run we may now be seeing hints of a possible pattern reshuffle. Looking at the various runs over the last couple of days the models are now diverging somewhat on a key feature that would have implications down the road. Looking at the 500's the GEFS has steadily moved towards intensifying higher heights over the polar regions with what looks to be attempts to bridge an Aleutian ridge with an Western Europe ridge. On the other hand the EPS has steadily increased the low height anomalies in this region presenting a strong PV feature over the polar regions. The CMC for the most part leans fairly heavily towards the GEFS at this time. Now whether the GEFS is right with possible changes in the polar region at this time or the EPS with its more of the same old, same old only time will tell but just the fact that we are now beginning to see divergence from run to run and from model to model gives me hope that a pattern change may be sooner rather then later.

The gfs is showing the way out. Either higher heights into Greenland or Alaska or better connect the two. That how we probably finally kick out. But the gfs is probably too fast as usual.  It's saying right after New Years. I would be thrilled at this point if it's a week fast and the pattern breaks down by the second week of January. 

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The gfs is showing the way out. Either higher heights into Greenland or Alaska or better connect the two. That how we probably finally kick out. But the gfs is probably too fast as usual.  It's saying right after New Years. I would be thrilled at this point if it's a week fast and the pattern breaks down by the second week of January. 

Here are my thoughts for what ever they are worth.

Not going back to double check but if I remember correctly all 3 models a week, week and a half ago were showing height increases through the polar regions with attempts to bridge ridging from Alaska to Europe. If that is the case then we may have already seen the 'to fast' from the GEFS. Also looking over the previous runs these higher heights seem to be moving forward in time as well as intensifying which in my mind is a good sign. Though my understanding of the PV at 10mb through 50mb and it's interaction with 500 mb and on down is limited, to say the least, I do wonder if it may also be suggesting the possibility of heights building. With the elongated feature @ 10mb-50mb it has been showing through this time frame you have to wonder if this is allowing a weakness underneath through its mid-section for heights to build at 500mb. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in on whether my thoughts on that have any merit. The fact that the CMC backs the GEFS somewhat is also a plus. I guess we will have a better idea in the next day or two, with more model runs under our belt, whether this has any legs or not.

The best thing about this though, is it gives me something to track besides post cold front flurries. :) 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This would be an acceptable pattern change. 

gfsp_z500a_nhem_53.png

I believe it was just yesterday, that Isotherm stated he felt  that the long term cycle of the positive NAO would start to change early in January. 

Makes you wonder as well about the QBO and what that is up to , have not checked lately. 

11 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If be okay with a slightly negative NAO if the Pacific was setup decent.

Agree. Perfect patterns are great and all but about as rare as the redskins stopping people on 3rd down. The ugliness were seeing is a combo of things that are stacked far the wrong way. Ease up a little here and there and we can at least start talking about winter again. 

Interesting looking at the height plots with the 6z gefs. Not many have a raging +NAO at all. A lot of ridging poking into the NAO space as well. Also, more members have a ridge in the west vs a trough. I'm sure this is all too much too fast but getting glimpses of a way out is better than door to door misery. 

f360.gif

25 minutes ago, mdsnowlover said:

to frd go back and read cohen post here about qbo and its affect on polar vortex, its very intersing and will answer your question

Yeah, I actually read it yesterday and posted on his AO update,  but what I was referring to were some thoughts from some weather blogs I had skimmed the last few weeks,  that the QBO might be transitioning again. ( from W to E ) 

I have not looked into that though in detai, so not sure if that is correct or not l. I do know that a Easterly QBO is more conducive to a negative NAO, and as Cohen points out also SSW events in mid winter.

But, thanks, I appreciate your feedback.  

I know a lot is going on like wave breaking events I am looking forward to seeing what happens, that makes weather so fascinating . 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Well, after looking at the mjo plots it makes sense that the gefs is showing a way out. Unfortunately the gefs is on it's own with this mjo forecast:

gefsmjo.JPG

DT did mentioned in this very thing in his, This Week in Weather video,  that the MJO going to phase 1 as portrayed by the GFS , and how it stands alone, like you mentioned here Bob.

But , he also mentioned an experimental model that also is forecasting  a MJO move into phase 1 and then 2 I believe.  

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I suppose it's appropriate the height anomaly looks like a heart because I "love" the N Atl Ridging that is depicted here! We can dream anyway....better than, as someone else mentioned, tracking fropa flurries.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw it, the heart must indicate my level of approval of this look.  (yes I know its still fiction range and not much support YET)

Archived