Newest Member
    joxey
December 12th Storm Obs

dryslot

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Not massive flakes, but real nice dendrites just pouring from the sky. It's piling up pretty quickly. 

Looks like I made that first measurement of 1" about 2 hours ago. So we've been ripping along at 1"/hr since then.

4" here in Lew, Just spoke with John

7 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Just took a few measurements on the drive, all between 5" and 5.5"  I also realized I didnt' clear an area this morning  (until just now) so my reports are 'on the ground' rather than having cleared.

Ripping out there, vis. no more than 1/4 mile.

26.0*

Just went further out into the driveway and defintely close to 5" here now.  

Ripping right now as we straddle the RA/SN line. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Of course that's generally pretty bad news for our headlines. They're going to bust one way or another.

Have not read the whole thread or looked at anything overnight but my guess is things must have ticked colder some by seeing some of the totals south of here

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Screw ratios. Man snow will be needed for Christmas.

If I have to sacrifice liquid then sure, give me the man snow. But with all water equivs being equal I'd like a little more fluff than 8-9:1. I remember you saying the best lift here was below the DGZ. I assume way up north by tamarack that DGZ is just low enough to line up with the better omega. Regardless, 5-6" of dense sugar is fine by me. I wish we had data that separated the liquid equiv out for frozen precip vs liquid/freezing. I probably outperform BUF seasonally with that vs actual snowfall. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

If I have to sacrifice liquid then sure, give me the man snow. But with all water equivs being equal I'd like a little more fluff than 8-9:1. I remember you saying the best lift here was below the DGZ. I assume way up north by tamarack that DGZ is just low enough to line up with the better omega. Regardless, 5-6" of dense sugar is fine by me. I wish we had data that separated the liquid equiv out for frozen precip vs liquid/freezing. I probably outperform BUF seasonally with that vs actual snowfall. 

I think the ratios in the deeper bands had dendrites. I actually had some good flakes here....and you could see it show up on ZDR dual pol. But the meaty band definitely has lift below the DGZ. 

Archived