Newest Member
    joxey
December 12th Storm Obs

dryslot

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

3 inches in Methuen before the change to rain. The snow quickly flipped to rain shortly after 6.

What part of Methuen are you at?  I'm on Howe St over by the loop.  I measured 3.25 so we are pretty much in line with each other's obs.

Just drove my daughter to school in Greenfield.  Roads were horrible (thank goodness for studded snows--all the poor suckers with their all-seasons skidding every which way; some on the roads, some off.  :) ).  On the way home, it changed to IP/RN at the greenfield rotary.  Still snow here at the Pit.

6.25".  I'm not sure when I last verified a warning.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Over to light snow/sleet mix now. 30F

5.2" final.   Bet we picked up over an inch in the past hour or so. Really ripped for a while. 

Sometimes it''s nice to be up in the NW corner of the state.  

4 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

6.3" total here as snow has changed to some light rain before ending. Turned out to be a nice little event...last night's RGEM did well IMBY. 

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Just drove my daughter to school in Greenfield.  Roads were horrible (thank goodness for studded snows--all the poor suckers with their all-seasons skidding every which way; some on the roads, some off.  :) ).  On the way home, it changed to IP/RN at the greenfield rotary.  Still snow here at the Pit.

6.25".  I'm not sure when I last verified a warning.

Hmmmm, are we seeing hints of where the winter win zone will be setting up?

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Hmmmm, are we seeing hints of where the winter win zone will be setting up?

One can only hope.  The super heavy stuff the last couple hours was caught nicely by the HRRR as well as the placement of the rn/sn line as the back edge approaches.

Moderate snow now with really big flakes.

1 minute ago, tavwtby said:

4.5" before flipping to IPZR at about 03:30, then straight ZR at4:30... hopefully it ends and the artic blast will solidify the pack left, and we can add to it next weekend... currently sitting at 30*, -ZR.

I'm wondering if we'll see the grass again before Christmas or perhaps we'll be straight on with snow cover until the spring melt.  I'm leaning toward the latter at this point.  That may change after this weekend's system.

28 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Over to light snow/sleet mix now. 30F

5.2" final.   Bet we picked up over an inch in the past hour or so. Really ripped for a while. 

Sometimes it''s nice to be up in the NW corner of the state.  

we actually didn't do too bad back east along Rt poop, either...   It was about 7am when I left my driveway and we were just about 4" with moderate even sized aggregates pounding down.  By the time I got close to 190 S exchange with Poop the snow upon the windshield began to sound like sand... I'd assume/estimate 5" total there in that stretch as it was coming down pretty good at that hour/distance.  

then, it was all down hill from there.  by the time i got to Rt 12 along 190 s it was freezing rain with cats paws at 30 F.  yuck.  34 down here close to Worcester and just rain. 

I'm actually impressed by the wind.  The trees down here were occasionally bent over with light rain going sideways.  ...blowing from the WSW.  not exactly the way to run a snow event, huh - WSW gusting wind... almost comical. 

We mentioned this yesterday or the day before... no sooner did the early consensus con us into thinking we were destined for a snowier solution, did the models abruptly began sliding the high pressure more east with each successive run.  The whole idea for cold thinking was based upon that feature not doing that - which it wasn't as near as four days prior to this ...lack of event.   Wasn't handled too well in my mind -

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course. The interior with a collective King Kong chest beating after last few years.

I think we need to jack a couple of SECS/HECS before I'd go that far.  But, it is a solid start to the season.  I'll need to update my seasonal tally, but probably 12-13" is my guess.  Not bad for the first half of December.

Archived