Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 12th Storm Obs

dryslot

23 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Ok... when is the next one?

Man snow, I concur. Went to Mount Snow this morning, or was an adventure for sure. I wouldn't call it a powder day, more like a crud and chop day.

The kids just got done making a snowman, perfectly packable. Maybe that's what he meant?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Eric Radarman and Lars were there today too

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well he has been . Glad he got hit again

I have seen worse from others on here, And i realize there is a lot of frustration for some after last winter, But none of us control mother nature, Hopefully everyone gets some snow before the holidays

Something to note: all models were too robust with the WAA in southeast NH. The rain/snow line was confined to south of rt 4 and east of rt 125. The majority of rockingham and strafford county stayed all snow. Eyeballing it I'd say the model consensus was off by at least 25 miles here. Fortunately, for forecasters who didn't expect this, the error didn't amount to a significant difference in overall accums due to very poor ratios.

Nothing left on the drive home from work in Lynn (was when I arrived this am); began to get a bit patchy on the se side of Wilmington, which really built up once I hit the center.

Pretty good coverage left here near the Billerica line...about an inch left of the 2.5" that fell.

33.9/32 off a high of 38.

Well I wasn't yelling and screaming...lol. I was frustrated with models. Who wasn't. I mean some of the good ones...euro cough* were terrible with this storm. Maybe a little vent might help change luck. Look at this morning with the ensembles. People were lining up for the walk up the Tobin. Then suddenly 12z comes out and its go time again.

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Well I wasn't yelling and screaming...lol. I was frustrated with models. Who wasn't. I mean some of the good ones...euro cough* were terrible with this storm. Maybe a little vent might help change luck. Look at this morning with the ensembles. People were lining up for the walk up the Tobin. Then suddenly 12z comes out and its go time again.

Frustrated with the models in early to mid December means its going to be a long winter, lol.

And I think most of it is localized as far as terrible with this storm.  I think the EURO did fantastic with it for this neck of the woods...for like 6-8 straight runs it had 0.3-0.5" QPF as snow for the northern half of VT and that's pretty much exactly what happened.  I think the GGEM was the worst (just very inconsistent) and GFS was pretty darn good too.  NAM too robust.  But the two main global models GFS and EURO crushed it in NNE from what I could see.

11 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Those who understand the inherent limitations of their skill, like me.

Don't get me wrong...I lose it, too....but trying to reduce that moving forward.

I am as obnoxious as anyone sometimes-

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

How much left on the hill...2"?

Still in Quincy, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 2"...there was already still some leftover snow OTG from the previous event and this one had a bit over 3" with glaze this morning and the high was 38...so there wasn't much juice there to melt it.

4 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Man snow, I concur. Went to Mount Snow this morning, or was an adventure for sure. I wouldn't call it a powder day, more like a crud and chop day.

I owe you a thanks because when you posted the $12 deal that directly lead to us being there today...  We drove up 116 to 112 and can attest to the 6-7" reports in the higher parts of GC.  I'd say 7-8" at the mountain.  (4" IMBY)  

I thought the skiing was fantastic.  It's a pleasure to have that kind of snow on the base.  Not sure there was a noisy turn the entire day, nothing groomed, small bumps everywhere by afternoon.  Seemed like 3/4ths of the trails were open and good edge to edge. Big crowd in the parking lot but the mountain spread them out very well with zero liftlines.  Should ski well the next few days as well.

Archived