Newest Member
    joxey
Disco & Obs for first region wide snow event 12/05

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, alex said:

Surprised by the intensity of this; moderate snow. Very pretty with large flakes. 23.9/16.9

Just wait.  You should probably get this banding that's been over us for the past hour or two.

This is the NNE I remember, lol.  It is cranking right now.  Stacking up on every little branch, just a calm wind moderate snow with good dendrites. 

I'm off but will have to go up to the mountain.  Skiing just too good right now. My co-worker just text me around 3" on the base area snowboard since 6am (2.5 hours). 

Just looks like a fog on the web cams ha.

spruce.jpe

Just now, powderfreak said:

Just wait.  You should probably get this banding that's been over us for the past hour or two.

This is the NNE I remember, lol.  It is cranking right now.  Stacking up on every little branch, just a calm wind moderate snow with good dendrites. 

I'm off but will have to go up to the mountain.  My co-worker just text me around 3" on the base area snowboard since 6am (2.5 hours). 

Yeah I was surprised to wake up to some 1/4 mile vis here in the Banana Belt for sure! It was a nice little over performer. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I'm off but will have to go up to the mountain.  My co-worker just text me around 3" on the base area snowboard since 6am (2.5 hours). 

Hehe. Yes. I think after 2-3 days straight of constant flurries and light snow, "real" snow feels different. Then again, so would the sun! We don't get much of that up here, as I've come to discover. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Better s/w forcing there so I'm not surprised. That's the Currier and Ives stuff I mentioned yesterday...although heavy! Looks good. The NNE comeback tour continues. Wish I could be skiing.

Yeah I was just looking at that...good synoptic lift with the vortmax traversing the area overhead.

Here's the 6z GFS.  The best banding is actually lining up nicely with that as it noses in and then lifts through NNE.

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like rt2 on north could get some nice enhancement coming up over the next couple of hrs. That looks about right from what the mesos showed yesterday. Been fighting some dry air and subsidence here, but looks like between .25 and .5" here. Looks nice. 

Yeah same thing here. Fits and spurts of snow since 4:30.. but not more than 1/2". 

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Better s/w forcing there so I'm not surprised. That's the Currier and Ives stuff I mentioned yesterday...although heavy! Looks good. The NNE comeback tour continues. Wish I could be skiing.

That's western NNE, which is fitting as their 15-16 was even more abysmal than ours.  But we'll probably all do lots better than that.

Has not reached AUG yet - clouds but still a fairly high ceiling.

It started in W Norwich just before 6.  When I left at 6:30 there was about 3/4 of an inch down and it was snowing hard.  No sign of road crews anywhere.  I did see a plow truck southbound on 91 between Norwich and Thetford but I did not see any sign of any treatment Northbound until much later.  No pavement seen until Bradford and saw a plow just before the Wells River exit.  It was fine north of there.  Fortunately things were cold enough that it wasn't icy, just snow covered.  Fun ride. :wacko2:

I will say that the trend through the rest of the day looks to be forcing weakens. Isentropic lift was actually pretty stout this morning (and sure enough we have had 1/4 +SN reports). But into the afternoon isentropic flow becomes more parallel to pressure rather than upslope. That's basically a loss of stronger WAA.

You can watch the regional radar presentation become more disorganized with time as this happens too.

1000z.jpeg

1400z.jpeg

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For some, Others have not started, -SN and 23°F here this am, Snow started about 15 mins ago

Archived