Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs and Disc Thread

mappy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You're not missing much. Tuesday on the other hand could be fun for our western and northern folks. 

GFS (which shouldn't generally be trusted with BL temps in CAD events) looks colder at 850 and 925 at 42. Not sure it changes much for the I95 crew, but it looks like the trend toward colder has continued for Tuesday. 

Fun, my wife will be up Wednesday and I'll be up by Saturday. Driving a medium box truck up there so if it does snow, I'm going to have to seriously slow my progression up. Not sure I trust myself behind the wheel of a box truck in the snow ;).

I am very glad that you are getting wintry precip though and hopefully it's a good sign for when I come up.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
305 AM EST Mon Dec 5 2016

.SYNOPSIS...

-- Changed Discussion --

High pressure will briefly build over the region today into tonight. Coastal low pressure will impact the area Tuesday into Tuesday night before high pressure briefly returns again for Wednesday. A potent cold front will pass through Thursday and arctic high pressure will build overhead during the weekend.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

The upper-level disturbance that brought the rain overnight will move off to the east today while high pressure builds overhead from the west. A northwest flow and subsidence behind the upper- level disturbance will allow for increasing sunshine today and any rainfall early this morning will quickly taper off. Max temps will range from the 40s in the mountains to the middle 50s near Washington and Baltimore. High pressure will shift north and east toward New England tonight while low pressure tracks through the Gulf Coast States into the Tennessee Valley. Most of tonight will be dry...but clouds will increase well ahead of this system. Precipitation will likely move into the Potomac Highlands and central Virginia toward daybreak. Low-level temps may be cold enough for sleet to mix in with the rain...but surface temps should be above freezing for most valley locations into central Virginia. Surface temps across the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Potomac Highlands may be cold enough for freezing rain.

&&

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

Low pressure over the Tennessee Valley will transfer its energy to a coastal low Tuesday along the North Carolina Coast. Warm and moist air will overrun the surface colder air in place...resulting in rain across the entire area. Cold air will remain wedged in place so it will be quite chilly. In fact...evaporative cooling at the onset of precipitation will cause low-level temps to drop below freezing. The layer of cold air may cause sleet to mix in at times...but surface temps across most of the Valleys and east of the Blue Ridge Mountains should remain above freezing. However...freezing rain is a concern for the Blue Ridge Moutains into the Allegheny and Potomac Highlands with most guidance showing a layer of subfreezing air between about 1kft and and 5kft. Ice accumulations are likely across these areas and winter headlines may be needed. For locations near the Mason-Dixon Line into the eastern West Virginia Panhandle...a period of snow and sleet cannot be ruled out Tuesday morning. It appears that any accumulation will be light and confined to grassy areas with surface temps just above freezing. The coastal low will gradually shift off to the east Tuesday night. Precipitation will gradually end from southwest to northeast.

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

GFS rough output on TT has been consistently showing us getting at least a dusting. IIRC, NAM agrees. I haven't forked over EURO money so I can't check that.

Euro op says no, not just for tomorrow night but for the whole 10 day period. Snowfall map for the full 10 days shows a trace for the higher hills around the PA/MD line and that's it. Mountains don't even do well only 2-3 inches showing up in spots. Guess we throw this run out and put our money on the ensembles. :)

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Euro op says no, not just for tomorrow night but for the whole 10 day period. Snowfall map for the full 10 days shows a trace for the higher hills around the PA/MD line and that's it. Mountains don't even do well only 2-3 inches showing up in spots. Guess we throw this run out and put our money on the ensembles. :)

They aren't much better. A few show something but it's mostly from a day 11-12 threat. And it's only a few members. 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

They aren't much better. A few show something but it's mostly from a day 11-12 threat. And it's only a few members. 

Yeah, was just looking at them. ESP has been backing down the last few runs. Still believe we see our first snowfall in the next 5-10 days. Just don't ask me from where. :)

1 minute ago, mappy said:

yeah, I don't see much, if any, wintry stuff for us northerners today. 

Two days ago it looked close and a 1-2 degree adjustment and we would have had a decent little event. Since then temps have slowly trended warmer. Not much but enough to basically squash much hope.  One odd thing is nws continues to say wintry mix before 1, and I know that's when surface temps are better, but looking at the entire column the best chance of any snow mix would be during the heaviest bands of precip between 1-4pm if the precip can cook the column. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived