• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

This pattern so reminds me of the 80's. Quick cold shots and minor snow events where you went to bed white and woke up to grass.. happened so many times as I was growing up. Winters where your biggest storm was 6 inches . Harsh cold at times, but little snow. I know it's early but man are the signals showing themselves. Maybe Jan will change that. Time will tell

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This pattern so reminds me of the 80's. Quick cold shots and minor snow events where you went to bed white and woke up to grass.. happened so many times as I was growing up. Winters where your biggest storm was 6 inches . Harsh cold at times, but little snow. I know it's early but man are the signals showing themselves. Maybe Jan will change that. Time will tell

There were some awful winters back then. Esp late '80s and even into early '90s. I remember several of the dreaded "go to bed snowing and wake up with just some piles leftover" events. Seemed to happen all the time and then we'd go wild when 3-6" with no mixing was forecast. 

Fwiw I don't think we necessarily are going to see that. We could but next week could easily be a snow to ice event too. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There were some awful winters back then. Esp late '80s and even into early '90s. I remember several of the dreaded "go to bed snowing and wake up with just some piles leftover" events. Seemed to happen all the time and then we'd go wild when 3-6" with no mixing was forecast. 

Fwiw I don't think we necessarily are going to see that. We could but next week could easily be a snow to ice event too. 

Yeah I know what you mean though. It very well may not happen. Though if I forecast a big winter this year, I'd be very concerned overall. There's a lot of posters here that are younger and think all these snowy winters and big storms are normal. I remember many of my adolescent years thinking 2-5 or 3-6 was a big storm. We'd go entire school years with no snow days. And then maybe once every few years we got a big one that dropped 8-12". It really makes me appreciate what we've had so many winters since the early 90's to current . 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Funny you say that because recent confirmation bias tells me those are winters like '13-14 and '15-16....it rains and there are some brutal air masses at times but it warms up just in time to rain again.  The January 2014 more inches of rain than snow pattern while still being cold, or the all out torch of last December followed by some brutal air masses including the February shot but with very little to show for it.... so nice to see those ghosts disappear for now up here.  

Probably different patterns or background atmospheric states than the 80s, but the snow lovers worst pattern is the rain then brutal cold one. It's the true kick in the nuts.  

Especially when the snow events hit to the south in the cold shots.  Just think if DCA to PHL was getting warning snows every time it got really cold, while it would rain whenever it precipitated at the ORH/BOS latitude.  I'm sure that's happened a lot though.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah I know what you mean though. It very well may not happen. Though if I forecast a big winter this year, I'd be very concerned overall. There's a lot of posters here that are younger and think all these snowy winters and big storms are normal. I remember many of my adolescent years thinking 2-5 or 3-6 was a big storm. We'd go entire school years with no snow days. And then maybe once every few years we got a big one that dropped 8-12". It really makes me appreciate what we've had so many winters since the early 90's to current . 

Tell me about it. In all my high school years (84-88)  I could count on one hand the number of snow days and still have fingers left over.  If we head into that type of stretch again this place will have to shut down.  Weenie suicides like you read about.

40 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

Tell me about it. In all my high school years (84-88)  I could count on one hand the number of snow days and still have fingers left over.  If we head into that type of stretch again this place will have to shut down.  Weenie suicides like you read about.

OT but could the lack of snow days been partially because it was a different time and everyone was a little "tougher"... seems like schools close over 2-4" storms these days if the timing is right... I wasn't born until 86 so thankfully I don't remember these terrible winters anyway 

Funny how you guys are talking about part of the 80s and 90s sucking.  Apparently it's not just limited to New England because we've had the same discussion in the GL/OV forum.  There are some years where the seasonal snowfall totals weren't bad but overall, bigger storms were harder to come by.  Not like really big storms are as frequent in the Midwest compared to New England but that was a particularly rough stretch.

7 hours ago, Johnno said:

OT but could the lack of snow days been partially because it was a different time and everyone was a little "tougher"... seems like schools close over 2-4" storms these days if the timing is right... I wasn't born until 86 so thankfully I don't remember these terrible winters anyway 

Well, when I was a kid we had to walk to school through 2' of snow uphill.  Both ways.......

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

3 weeks for some of us

Places well south of your region had an unusually harsh winter 77'-78'; Nashville TN had at least a trace of snow on the ground from January 16 1977 - March 6 1978; in March alone we recorded 5.5"; the seasonal total that year was 41.3" many times over our seasonal average! 

18 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Places well south of your region had an unusually harsh winter 77'-78'; Nashville TN had at least a trace of snow on the ground from January 16 1977 - March 6 1978; in March alone we recorded 5.5"; the seasonal total that year was 41.3" many times over our seasonal average! 

Nice!   In the Feb 1978 Blizzard we got close to 48", although reports vary. My school's roof collapsed, hence the long time off

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you thinking 60's most of Xmas week and Day itself for everyone?

Seems we're having a wonderful Torchmas Time.  60s are tough and I would never speculate this far out. Just a terrible fooking look. Hopefully it changes, but it's vomit worthy down here. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Seems we're having a wonderful Torchmas Time.  60s are tough and I would never speculate this far out. Just a terrible fooking look. Hopefully it changes, but it's vomit worthy down here. 

Odds of it changing? The non-meteorologist in me wants to say something about model volatility, cold blast residue, etc. Can't believe we torch another Xmas

2 minutes ago, Googlymoogly said:

Odds of it changing? The non-meteorologist in me wants to say something about model volatility, cold blast residue, etc. Can't believe we torch another Xmas

Well they'll be a boundary nearby so perhaps it's not that torchy....I wouldn't get specific this far out. I'm just annoyed at the look. I haven't heard anything about January. It did look colder a couple of weeks ago, but perhaps it changed. We'll see what the weeklies do...they did get the breakdown right it seems. 

Archived