SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All models have troughing in the SW US. The Pacific varies with the GEM having ridging south of Anchorage and ridging into Greenland, while the others have some ridging into NW Canada (albeit weak) and some leftover higher heights near and just east of Hudson Bay. I get the sense of a gradient like pattern finally developing. However impossible to determine of its congrats us or congrats MSP. I do like the active look and this beats a NAMR blowtorch any day, but do expect the risk for cutters.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

All models have troughing in the SW US. The Pacific varies with the GEM having ridging south of Anchorage and ridging into Greenland, while the others have some ridging into NW Canada (albeit weak) and some leftover higher heights near and just east of Hudson Bay. I get the sense of a gradient like pattern finally developing. However impossible to determine of its congrats us or congrats MSP. I do like the active look and this beats a NAMR blowtorch any day, but do expect the risk for cutters.

Speaking of gradients-let's channel December 1970.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sign me up for rain over the qpf-tease of the past several  years.  That sucked.

Same comments and fear every year.  There's always a risk of systems not tracking the way we need them to.  At least we have some action incoming it seems...which is a change from the Tranquil, sunny, warm 60's and 70's of the last 6 months.    

Ill take cutters and Rain for the next two to three weeks...man we need the moisture in any form.  Bring on the Precip.

The following recent winters had torching cutters in early December:

2014-2015, 2013-2014, 2012-2013, 2010-2011, 2008-2009.....

I won't keep going, but it's not abnormal and it's not some "sign" that winter is going to suck if we get one....if you want to b**ch about cutters anyway, go do it in the banter thread.

There will likely be chances for winter wx though with a pretty strong -NAO with the blocking centered over NE Canada through the early part of the month.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I won't keep going, but it's not abnormal and it's not some "sign" that winter is going to suck if we get one....if you want to b**ch about cutters anyway, go do it in the banter thread.

There will likely be chances for winter wx though with a pretty strong -NAO with the blocking centered over NE Canada through the early part of the month.

None of those were bad winters in ORH... quite the contrary

1 minute ago, J Paul Gordon said:

None of those were bad winters in ORH... quite the contrary

Yeah that was on purpose...

Anyways, despite a cutterish look around the 1st, there is still plenty of potential behind that system for winter events. We could also get another cutter, but that's the game this far out and in this pattern.

Yup the blocking is there. My hunch is there's some swfe's and maybe a redeveloper or 2 mixed in with a screamer. Lots of variance but there are some def snow threats over next few weeks. Should also remind weenies.. the Tgiving storm at one time was modeled as Torchgiving screamer. Now many of us in SNE will lay an inch or 2 down early morning followed by a bit of icing and spending the day in the low- mid 30's. So moral is.. take anything past day 6 with suspiciousness

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was on purpose...

Anyways, despite a cutterish look around the 1st, there is still plenty of potential behind that system for winter events. We could also get another cutter, but that's the game this far out and in this pattern.

It's really not even that far off either. The EPS is showing strong signals of secondary redevelopment with that system. I'm just not sure we'll have enough cold to save everyone.

1 hour ago, JC-CT said:

So we are weenies, but you posting it yesterday doesn't make you a weenie? That's super weenie material.

I was looking at the ensembles anyway, not some 300 hour GFS OP run.

Huh? I mentioned the chance due to the hemispheric pattern. It was also meant to limit the wrist slitters from coming out when one was modeled, but I should have known better. I see nothing wrong with the pattern coming up. Aside from any cutters..I think we should watch out for any relevant miller B or SWFE style system as well. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Huh? I mentioned the chance due to the hemispheric pattern. It was also meant to limit the wrist slitters from coming out when one was modeled, but I should have known better. I see nothing wrong with the pattern coming up. Aside from any cutters..I think we should watch out for any relevant miller B or SWFE style system as well. 

I wasn't slitting my wrist you weenie. I didn't think a trough over the midwest on the ensembles is a great look for us this early in the year.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those winters were decent to great down here in NYC. I take a few cutters if it'll lead to a winter similar to 2010-11 2013-14 2014-15

On average, don't we tend to get more cutters through maybe mid December.  Lots of Upper Plains blizzards this time of year, and as the cold air starts to seasonally shift south our chances increase.  Then by mid January, the risk of suppressed storms increases and then everything starts to work it's way back north for the spring.  Models seem to be putting out pretty typical storm tracks for this year.  Gotta get some good arctic air to the north so we can cash in on some SW flow events and force some wanna be cutters to redevelop to the SE.  

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I wasn't slitting my wrist you weenie. I didn't think a trough over the midwest on the ensembles is a great look for us this early in the year.

Overall I see nothing wrong with the pattern unless you want an all out snow blitz right away. This is slowly becoming a nina look with ridging near dateline and cold push focused out west first. If we can get a decent Pacific and some -NAo ridging...that's a great thing for us.  Right now there are elements of both things, but the timing would need to work out. When I look at the broad picture for NAMR, I actually like the evolution shown. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

In my area, every early December 2008 on had at least one torch-deluge, except 2009 and 09-10 is a hissing and a byword among Maine weenies.  I like our chances this year.

Archived