Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

On November 22, 2016 at 10:48 PM, ORH_wxman said:
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would agree Isotherm. Good post. The NAO looks to be near neutral give or take. Hopefully dateline ridging and what seems to be a 50/50 low type feature can help out.  

I'll take my chances with that north of the pike.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would agree Isotherm. Good post. The NAO looks to be near neutral give or take. Hopefully dateline ridging and what seems to be a 50/50 low type feature can help out.  

Thanks, and agreed - especially for us, we're going to need more robust poleward ridging if the NAO decides to be hostile (which is largely what I thought for this winter, but there was a chance December could produce a real block).

For your area and especially Ray's northward, it could be a very good / active / stormy pattern with temps close to normal or slightly below. December 1970 had strong -NAO blocking coupled with poleward ridging; I don't think we'll be looking at that year. One of the closer matches might be December 2008, though the NAO may not be as favorable as that year either.

40 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Thanks, and agreed - especially for us, we're going to need more robust poleward ridging if the NAO decides to be hostile (which is largely what I thought for this winter, but there was a chance December could produce a real block).

For your area and especially Ray's northward, it could be a very good / active / stormy pattern with temps close to normal or slightly below. December 1970 had strong -NAO blocking coupled with poleward ridging; I don't think we'll be looking at that year. One of the closer matches might be December 2008, though the NAO may not be as favorable as that year either.

I drew the general analogy to 2008 the other day, as well.

May take a bit more latitude than that year...more 12-07 maybe...

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. It's not a latitude pattern in the general sense though it would be tougher NYC south for all snowers 

That's climo anyways. We have to get away from referencing monthly values and look at dailies. Transient blocking is as effective .  I mean just look at 2015. 

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I dont like the dec. 08 analog.  Look a the 500mb anomalies on the previous page...theyre opposite in eastern north america of the modeled pattern on the on the gefs eps and euro weeklies.  

It's not one of my top analogs either. For the winter as a whole, I preferred 73-74, 75-76, 99-00.

It usually takes a really good pattern to get big snows south of New England before Dec 15-20 or so. 

It def looks like there will be a higher than normal gradient for temps though so the latitude difference may be more than typical. 

But we are talking snow chances and so many nuances go into them. Sometimes you get Dec 16, 2007 where the best is pike northward or sometimes you get 12/13/07 where good snows extent into central CT/RI and SE MA. Even further, 12/19/08 got the south coast good though that is getting into the 2nd half of the month. 

Sometimes you get nothing south of Rt 2. You just don't know. There is where you have to force folks to appreciate probabilistic viewpoints. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It usually takes a really good pattern to get big snows south of New England before Dec 15-20 or so. 

It def looks like there will be a higher than normal gradient for temps though so the latitude difference may be more than typical. 

But we are talking snow chances and so many nuances go into them. Sometimes you get Dec 16, 2007 where the best is pike northward or sometimes you get 12/13/07 where good snows extent into central CT/RI and SE MA. Even further, 12/19/08 got the south coast good though that is getting into the 2nd half of the month. 

Sometimes you get nothing south of Rt 2. You just don't know. There is where you have to force folks to appreciate probabilistic viewpoints. 

Any ideas on where the gradient will set up or is that something you won't know till it happens?

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Since I am working I just saw the Euro, holy crap on the epic snow totals for Maine thru Dec 2nd, pretty good for all of Vt 1-2 feet, NNH 1-2 feet and Maine 2-3 feet North of Portland. Just a run but wow

Oh man that's close...like 0C to -1C at H7/H85/H925 here and a lot of QPF.

Wildcat-Sunday River-Sugarloaf are just that extra 1-2C cooler aloft and damn that's a lot of snow next week.  Some 36" totals in Maine on the EURO.  But yeah wintery week in NNE, even if sleet and freezing rain east of the Greens then getting into snow deeper cold to our NE.  

Archived