Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Which is why - especially from coastal SNE southward - sufficient downstream blocking is a prerequisite for favorably tracking short waves. With a poleward ridge / concomitant W US trough, there will be a propensity for individual short waves pushing warmth up the coast. The ECMWF ensembles generally lose the NAO/AO support after December 7th which would be problematic for coastal SNE southward. Some of the guidance suggestive of rapidly strengthening zonal winds up at 10hpa would be consistent with a neutralizing NAO/AO, but we'll see. 

Like I said yesterday, I'd be fairly optimistic if I lived in interior SNE northward over the next few weeks. That end of the first week of Dec interests me a little for the coast if we can get a short wave to eject eastward into the 50/50 low/-NAO induced confluence.

We will see, let's revisit this by Dec15th. Big time colder and lots of moisture .  Transient blocking and boom. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cmon man you know better than this. Things can pop in the upcoming pattern. As Scott says this is the best looking Dec pattern coming up up in years. Negative EPO can deliver and usually does. 

Sure..  things can pop.  But like I said....pattern isn't perfect, and things have to work out.

Something dawned on me as it felt like it's been hard to get cold and snowy Decembers lately. Felt like Early Spring was snowier. So figured I check... Sure enough..

Bridgeport, CT has had more snow in March than December in 4 of the last 5yrs.

December has had more snow than March only 7 of the last 18yrs. 

So it's been Snowier in March than December in recent times

The normal snowfall is the same for both months. 5.1"

records.jpg

The 11-15 day really isn't a gradient look. We don't have anomalous heights off the SE coast.  There is a mean trough axis off of Nova Scotia that sort of knocks heights closer to normal in the southeast. The other possible thing is that we have "ruler flow." This means possible cool and dry with little amplification. That's something really tough to determine, but some signs of it. Regardless, the 11-15 day is cool overall. 

1 hour ago, NorEaster17 said:

Something dawned on me as it felt like it's been hard to get cold and snowy Decembers lately. Felt like Early Spring was snowier. So figured I check... Sure enough..

Bridgeport, CT has had more snow in March than December in 4 of the last 5yrs.

December has had more snow than March only 7 of the last 18yrs. 

So it's been Snowier in March than December in recent times

The normal snowfall is the same for both months. 5.1"

Depends on one's location.  In my 18 winters here in the foothills, December has been snowier than March 12 times, and averages 2.2" more, even though my snowiest for any month was in March, 2001.  However, I can agree about the cold.  While December has been colder overall (no surprise there), it has had only one morning at least down to -20, while I've had 11 such mornings in March.

Looking more and more like a very rainy week coming up for our time in the woods with the forest certification auditors.  May be a different story in Northern Maine, with access depending on where active harvests mean plowed roads.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

So basically a crap shoot

Depends on how you look at it. Snowfall is always a crapshoot. The overall look is decent  for you after this week. Determining the small scale nuances that produce cyclogenesis in a favorable spot, is impossible. All you can do  is look at the overall big picture and let things fall into place.  Basically just have to go along for the ride.

The distance between the warm SST pattern and the cold SST pattern leads to a gradient.  That gradient as a storm with H5 energy present with a negatively tilting trough axis overhead can lead to explosive cyclogenesis as polar/arctic air pours over these warm SSTs and a storm is present, it will ignite the warm SSTs south of 40N.

Archived