12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

56 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

People still use laptops? Those are almost extinct 

i have an iphone...  

i use it as a telephone pretty much exclusively.  i don't stand there leaning against street corner poles, with a single knee bent ... one hand in my pocket while the other one pings away furious with single thumb bumps ...slaved to portable technology. i find that common theme about recent culture similar to that STG episode, "The Game" - 

firstly, it's annoying.  above all else, it is not as easy to do that as it is to type. that said, ...obviously most don't like typing.  furthermore, most don't like having to work and they see quality writing and expanded contribution of any kind, as work.  

it's just part of the on-going erosion of virtue in pre-fab culture of instant gratification nimrods but don't fret!  one day, a solar storm will knock the grid down to mid-evil times and all you numb-nuts ...dumbed down by years of apathy and lost virtue will exit the stage because all your skills are one dimensionally locked to dependent on phones.  

dark sarcasm aside ... i do think the greater portable device corporation has drilled into a kind of native wiring in people that slaves them ...almost addiction-like.  endless money suck -

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Scooter in that I don't find ensemble snow maps really all that useful. I suppose they are not useless either...but they don't really give a whole lot of additional information that looking at the H5 pattern already reveals. I don't hate them though...just don't find much use for them, but I'm not gonna hate on those who use them.

I tend to despise the snow maps as a serious tool a lot more on operational guidance when we are dissecting a storm threat. Those are really annoying to me because they aren't really showing you "snow"....it is dependent on some algorithm in the model which can be corrupted by whatever assumption the model makes such as low level warming (if the model warms the low levels too fast, then poof goes your snow accumulations on the algorithm) or mid-level warming (sometimes the algorithms don't slice back enough in the sleet zone). The snow maps are mostly just eye candy for entertainment purposes....hence the name "clown maps" I came up with years ago when referring to them.

Anyways, I agree with Tip about favoring these overrunning strung out waves more than wound up systems....this fast flow getting funneled through the height gradient with our Caribbean/SE heat ridge to the south well want to dampen out any attempts to really deepen in the upper levels. This actually may work in our favor as already noted...kind of like we have seen in some previous December overrunning events.

One thing to look for is how the position of the high trends...or the confluence ahead of the system. If we can trend that a bit NW more toward N ME, then that will help on two fronts...it will assist in locking in the low level cold better and it will also assist in aiding frontogenetic forcing as the isentropic lift occurs from the SW...so that would be one thing to root for if you are trying to maximize the snow out of this.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Been a subtle shift east with H5 anomalies into AK. Lets hope that is valid. That will help us out. Also, the PV seems to not want to go far into the US. Another good thing I have noticed today as that PV stays in srn Canada, supplies cold, but not suppressed storm track. 

Never bought the cold and dry mantra.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Been a subtle shift east with H5 anomalies into AK. Lets hope that is valid. That will help us out. Also, the PV seems to not want to go far into the US. Another good thing I have noticed today as that PV stays in srn Canada, supplies cold, but not suppressed storm track. 

It's more of a true EPO ridge now vs biased toward the WPO region. Look at the height difference in AK too at like D13 or 14 compared to D15 a couple days ago...trending much higher. Fast pattern breakdown FTL...

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's more of a true EPO ridge now vs biased toward the WPO region. Look at the height difference in AK too at like D13 or 14 compared to D15 a couple days ago...trending much higher. Fast pattern breakdown FTL...

Yeah definitely. I like that subtle shift.  Although in general, I'd be happy with any higher heights from Bering Sea on east. Certainly nothing I see that notes some sort of pattern change right now anyways. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah definitely. I like that subtle shift.  Although in general, I'd be happy with any higher heights from Bering Sea on east. Certainly nothing I see that notes some sort of pattern change right now anyways. 

Yeah agreed...it's not like the WPO ridge was bad...we'll take it, but if we can bias it more toward EPO side, even better. I'm sure eventually we'll see a breakdown in a few weeks, but the bias of rushing in a change is almost certainly at work every time we get a "semi ugly" end of the EPS run. It seems to either stay near the end of the run or disappear completely (like today) in subsequent runs....ditto GEFS whenever they show something.

Your tropical monitoring seemed to catch this too...it wasn't really arguing for that quick breakdown that we saw on a few runs.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah agreed...it's not like the WPO ridge was bad...we'll take it, but if we can bias it more toward EPO side, even better. I'm sure eventually we'll see a breakdown in a few weeks, but the bias of rushing in a change is almost certainly at work every time we get a "semi ugly" end of the EPS run. It seems to either stay near the end of the run or disappear completely (like today) in subsequent runs....ditto GEFS whenever they show something.

Your tropical monitoring seemed to catch this too...it wasn't really arguing for that quick breakdown that we saw on a few runs.

I was talking to Ventrice about that. His tools are pointing to a colder nrn tier Jan too. It's interesting to see the differences in the analog pattern given the current tropical forcing state, vs the analog pattern at the end of the ensemble runs. It shows you how the models always propagate the forcing too quickly to the east.  I definitely think the RMM MJO stuff has a bias for that...not to mention it needs models to properly forecast all those variables that go into those plots.  So yeah, the signal may weaken at some point...but there is a low frequency standing wave pattern that seems stable in the maritime continent for now. 

I was talking to Ventrice about that. His tools are pointing to a colder nrn tier Jan too. It's interesting to see the differences in the analog pattern given the current tropical forcing state, vs the analog pattern at the end of the ensemble runs. It shows you how the models always propagate the forcing too quickly to the east.  I definitely think the RMM MJO stuff has a bias for that...not to mention it needs models to properly forecast all those variables that go into those plots.  So yeah, the signal may weaken at some point...but there is a low frequency standing wave pattern that seems stable in the maritime continent for now. 

Yeah that's pretty cool stuff. It seems like a much more Nina-esque pattern from that standpoint...the big dateline ridging (rather than a monster Aleutian low)...we aren't in a full blown Nina, but parts of the tropics and NH are definitely acting more like it. Even the CFS is keeping Canada cold and we know how much that model loves to furnace massive chunks of the high latitudes.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that's pretty cool stuff. It seems like a much more Nina-esque pattern from that standpoint...the big dateline ridging (rather than a monster Aleutian low)...we aren't in a full blown Nina, but parts of the tropics and NH are definitely acting more like it. Even the CFS is keeping Canada cold and we know how much that model loves to furnace massive chunks of the high latitudes.

Ha, I noticed that too. If that model gets cold...I think that's a confidence booster. 

Back to the Torch Thursday on weeklies...lol. Well maybe not torch, but they break down the pattern quickly during week 2. which is strange after today's 12z EPS (EPS is worth more skill during week 2 anyways). Seems like Thursday's have been initialized by the warministas.

Monthlies?

The op runs should not be diagnosed for anything. The ensembles are definitely more wintry. In fact, do yourself a favor and not lolling at an op run past day 7.

As you said it looks like we ride the line with cold near by. We really need these troughs to stop digging into the west and remain flat as they come out. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The op runs should not be diagnosed for anything. The ensembles are definitely more wintry. In fact, do yourself a favor and not lolling at an op run past day 7.

Point taken! There's something so defined about OP runs as opposed to the more esoteric, nebulous ensembles that are appealing for laymen like myself. But I hear what you're saying.!

Archived