joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve posted the temps on the EPS for Liltchfield through Xmas and it didn't look bad at all, perhaps slightly AN for a couple days.  I guess we shall see, but we have solid snowcover in a lot of places north of Rt 2 and up to here, we have several more artic blasts coming in the next 7-10 days, squalls, etc....then a storm which will be to our west but coming just after an artic blast, so we probably net frozen and solidify the pack.  Then it warms a bit.  But truly a torch?  Doesn't seem the pattern has shown those kind of extreme changes so far this year.  Am I missing something?  It probably looks different in coastal SNE than up here I suppose.

Also I go to Chicago on Thursday just in time for below zero temps and maybe a snow storm Fri-Sat so that has me kinda excited.

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There is one poster here who wants brown grass for Xmas. Him

As long as my Chanukah, and Kwanzaa have snow, or some kind of frozen within the periods I am good.  

...Although I think the Grinch storm during the Christmas time period will be strong as it is most of the time.

He may be right ...  

We'll have to see how deterministic guidance versions either fights the signal, or...begin to waver in favor of it, but as far as the GEFs -derived teleconnectors go, winter ends after this week's cold snap until further notice...

Now, obviously it would be cave-man incompetent to think that characterizes the whole winter, the rest of the way - as in, 4 months worth. But, as far as the here-and-now goes, there are 0, zip, zilch, naddo, no teleconnectors going any direction accept warm for the next 10 days...possibly, beyond.

I could almost see the flow going flattish for a couple of days just prior to the SE ridge finally at last bloating to engulf enough real-estate to dictate our junk here too - not merely threatening to do so like it has been in recent weeks.  The recent -EPO is really all that's been pounding that down and getting us cold at all ...but remove that factor, blocking in the Alaskan sector, I'm not sure I see a way to prevent it frankly ... when the NAO is gong positive and the PNA appears permanently in the cellar.

But, there's always a chance that as soon as I click 'Submit' on this beast, everything flips on purpose -  

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

He may be right ...  

We'll have to see how deterministic guidance versions either fights the signal, or...begin to waver in favor of it, but as far as the GEFs -derived teleconnectors go, winter ends after this week's cold snap until further notice...

Now, obviously it would be cave-man incompetent to think that characterizes the whole winter, the rest of the way - as in, 4 months worth. But, as far as the here-and-now goes, there are 0, zip, zilch, naddo, no teleconnectors going any direction accept warm for the next 10 days...possibly, beyond.

I could almost see the flow going flattish for a couple of days just prior to the SE ridge finally at last bloating to engulf enough real-estate to dictate our junk here too - not merely threatening to do so like it has been in recent weeks.  The recent -EPO is really all that's been pounding that down and getting us cold at all ...but remove that factor, blocking in the Alaskan sector, I'm not sure I see a way to prevent it frankly ... when the NAO is gong positive and the PNA appears permanently in the cellar.

But, there's always a chance that as soon as I click 'Submit' on this beast, everything flips on purpose -  

[kevin]Thanks. After this assessment of the future of winter 2016/2017, I am heading down to the basement and closing the shades (after I finish scraping the few inches of slop off of my driveway). Someone please come wake me in October of 2017.  Thanks.[/kevin]

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Word!  part and parcel in what I was just posting about above...  agreed- 

if it offers any consolation ... it is still just a fluid enterprise, the atmosphere, so ... there is never 0 probability of anything.   May not be much, but it's something :)

1 hour ago, Googlymoogly said:

How mild does it look? Amazing how quick this all happens.

could be in a state of mass delusion - heh.   

I just mean, it looks very mild if not warm, but, it's also not a certainty, either. 

There are reasons not to sell the farm on that thinking just yet- 

Archived