joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If it comes to fruition..

Not that it means much because there were only couple La Niña winters with 2 ssw events, 70-71 and 98-99. But they both had the warming events about 2 months apart. Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt we have one in early November this year as well? 

Just speculating though that's all

Yeah the pattern thread always gets quieter when there's short term wx to track.

But the pattern remains kind of ugly next week...though not hopeless as evidenced by the Euro's snowfall on the 23rd....but then it looked a little better in the 11-15....again not great, but WPO heights came up a little so there's some cold around in northern tier. We'll see what happens as we get closer after this next storm cuts past us.

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I've always thought January and March would be our best months.

DT had a very cold January in his forecast. It's possible the stratosphere may try to warm again after significant reconsolidation of the PV in late December. I think Jan 1-10 could be rough, but the second half of the month could offer potential.

I think we both agree on the potential for a great March with the ENSO warming forecasted by multiple models and past La Nina analogs...we have seen some cold/snowy Marches in La Nina like 1967, 1984, 2008, 2009 and 2011. 

14 hours ago, nzucker said:

DT had a very cold January in his forecast. It's possible the stratosphere may try to warm again after significant reconsolidation of the PV in late December. I think Jan 1-10 could be rough, but the second half of the month could offer potential.

I think we both agree on the potential for a great March with the ENSO warming forecasted by multiple models and past La Nina analogs...we have seen some cold/snowy Marches in La Nina like 1967, 1984, 2008, 2009 and 2011. 

Yea, DT originally issued his outlook around halloween, but it proved too early, and he had to go back and revise it. His first outlook was more robust, but amended to be not quite as aggressive once he saw the propensity for low heights near AK,and formidable PAC jet persist. 

Persistent patterns like that take a long time to abate, which is why I was always skeptical of the very strong start that some started touting in mid November through December.

His second edition was very similar to mine....iffy December, nice January and march, with a lame and mild Feb.

This is good news..seems like there's no torch..just a bit AN and if timed right like possibly  the 23rd..we can still grab some snow

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is good news..seems like there's no torch..just a bit AN and if timed right like possibly  the 23rd..we can still grab some snow

2 torchy storms on  euro.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tweets the hip looking dude with the goatee and winter hat.

Stratospheric 10hpa temperatures should reach record lows at 90N in the next week, and near record lows at 60-90N around Christmas. The tropospheric regime is reflective of that w/ a +5 standard deviation AO next week. Accumulating snow (of the 3"+ variety) at the coast will be nothing short of a Christmas miracle over the next week to 10 days.

If this year's vortex follows a progression congruous with prior similar historical cases, it will remain potent through all of January, with a weakening trend at the end of the month, followed by potential SSW attempt and/or significant weakening in the first half of February. That would induce tropospheric alterations such that Feb 5/10-end of winter delivers the most NAO / AO domain blocking of the season. This is all "a priori" of course, and we could very well have a strong vortex through March. However, historically, similar cases will yield at least a weakening in February, and thus probably our highest probability of protracted -AO/NAO is Feb/Mar.

The VP is suggestive of a potentially very west based poleward ridge -- meaning dateline and westward, which would force some cold delivery into the N CONUS, but would be ineffective for our case in light of the mean NAM/NAO regime. Basically, what I'm saying is that I am skeptical that the poleward ridging - if it develops in a protracted fashion - will be sufficiently far east to induce a good pattern on the East Coast (esp coastal SNE southward) given the absence of Arc / Atl blocking. I could see chances like we had today, but as far as SECS+ potential, it would be tough.

I'm searching for that seemingly elusive NAO/AO shake-up, which is probably far off at this point. We should punch the clock and begin wave-2 driving once the precursor pattern initiates over the next week, so convergence probably maximizes circa Jan 15th. Then we'll have to see the extent to which other forcings constructively or destructively interfere as it pertains to the subsequent vortex state in Jan 15-30.

Fun pattern to forecast though for sure.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If it's any consolation .., you can kinda see how the sn pack protects the best it can under the circumstances.  Draw a line from Boston to PVD and it struggles with 50 NW of that line but it's nearing 60 se 

Except they got a lot of snow to the CT south coast.  

Just now, weathafella said:

Well the interpretation was that snow slowed the 50s and it probably did but not for long and using BOS-PVD as the demarcation line for snow cover I think was spurious at least as of dawn today.

something is limiting the warmth penetration and all else being equal ..it's likely the snow pack in the interior.  not hugely obviously no .. but there is 55+ line that slices roughtly PSM to NW RI... SE of there the warm air is more pronounced.

Archived