Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

13 minutes ago, Googlymoogly said:

Point taken! There's something so defined about OP runs as opposed to the more esoteric, nebulous ensembles that are appealing for laymen like myself. But I hear what you're saying.!

Sorry, I meant looking not lolling. Stupid phone.  

The op runs are like crack and get you addicted with tasty solutions that likely will not play out as you see. All they do is cause angst to weenies. It's best really not to take them that seriously beyond 7 days out.  I mean sometimes they can play out as you see, but really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we may have to contend with four or five of these like each one reduxing the previoius ...right through the end of the month.   maybe every three day periodicity. 

high gradient fast flow smear jobs with weak to mid grade cyclones ...each successive one threatening to move west or too far S - all the while separating -1 or -2 SD cold from +1 or +2 warmth.  

we'll have 12 hour intervals like gleeful yesterday ...followed by 12 hours of heh, coming from modeling tone ... and reality verifies (usually) somewhere in between. 

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Pretty solid signal for torchy period d8-10 with cutter imbedded.

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea....that bomb is an Archembault event.......easts up the PV and rips into the NAO domain....the e US is one giant se ridge.

Moral of the story is that we will find a way to avoid a white Christmas..

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hopefully the torch period passes by Christmas...

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What did Scooter tell you about op runs?

Tough to say. Even in favorable patterns you can still get cutters. We've said that all along, and a -EPO type deal is prone to cutters. I wouldn't really go all out torch and pattern reversal as some seem to fear. We'll have remnant -EPO and ridging into NE Greenland while SE ridge flexes. We ride the line. Patterns ebb and flow, so we shouldn't be surprised at any relaxation if it occurs. 

33 minutes ago, Googlymoogly said:

Ray was basing that on a GFS op run. I wish people would just stop looking at them and using them to make forecasts. For exactly this reason . Look how bad it's been in the storm tomorrow night. It's been a train wreck with a stem wound cutter not recognizing until last night the strength of the high and that the cold would win .. and it's still correcting 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ray was basing that on a GFS op run. I wish people would just stop looking at them and using them to make forecasts. For exactly this reason 

not trying to rustle any jimmies! I actually post my fears so that I can hear professional insight on the validity of them, so that in the future I can diagnose without posting for help. Sorry if perturbing, I understand that for sure

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Tough to say. Even in favorable patterns you can still get cutters. We've said that all along, and a -EPO type deal is prone to cutters. I wouldn't really go all out torch and pattern reversal as some seem to fear. We'll have remnant -EPO and ridging into NE Greenland while SE ridge flexes. We ride the line. Patterns ebb and flow, so we shouldn't be surprised at any relaxation if it occurs. 

Anyone else get the feeling an ice storm seems likely 

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

EPS says we mild up around und 12/23-25.

They've been insistent on relaxing the pattern after the 20th or so. We'll see..I'm a little skeptical, although it's not surprising to get these periods of relaxation from time to time. Of course you could play the odds of a Pre-Christmas warm up and do well! Hopefully it's not a massive SE ridge. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

They've been insistent on relaxing the pattern after the 20th or so. We'll see..I'm a little skeptical, although it's not surprising to get these periods of relaxation from time to time. Of course you could play the odds of a Pre-Christmas warm up and do well! Hopefully it's not a massive SE ridge. 

It kind of had the appearance of a reload a few days later no?

Archived