joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boring and busting on the winds. Definitely plenty of rain but I went outside before and it just has a spring storm feeling just pouring out there now. 

Im so depressed this could have beat last years blizzard if we just had a colder high parked over Montreal instead of crappy high over Quebec!

yawn rjay!

7 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Boring and busting on the winds. Definitely plenty of rain but I went outside before and it just has a spring storm feeling just pouring out there now. 

Im so depressed this could have beat last years blizzard if we just had a colder high parked over Montreal instead of crappy high over Quebec!

yawn rjay!

This would not have beaten last year's blizzard, except for those that got screwed

I know you just can't reflect on this storm and suppose what if it was just a little colder?  If it was a little colder, it probably would have affected the overall dynamics.  However, if it was all snow, I guess a lot of us would have been disappointed since the early forecast for precipitable water was 3-4", which would have been one heckuva snow storm. We would have had to settle for about 15-18" instead.

As always, wind forecasts rarely materialize.  I got home yesterday to Garwood at 4:30 PM to a relative tranquil drizzle.  Thankfully, the storm underperformed, sparing a lot of property damage.

6 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I know you just can't reflect on this storm and suppose what if it was just a little colder?  If it was a little colder, it probably would have affected the overall dynamics.  However, if it was all snow, I guess a lot of us would have been disappointed since the early forecast for precipitable water was 3-4", which would have been one heckuva snow storm. We would have had to settle for about 15-18" instead.

As always, wind forecasts rarely materialize.  I got home yesterday to Garwood at 4:30 PM to a relative tranquil drizzle.  Thankfully, the storm underperformed, sparing a lot of property damage.

Yeah I think if this would have been all snow, we'd have been disappointed along the lines of the Jan 2015 storm (which occurred close to this date, just like the one last year did.)  The one from Jan 2015, if you remember, was at one point forecast to bring us something like 30"+ of snow on the Euro and the NAM, and it ended up skirting us to the east and we got around 10" of snow and those in NJ got barely anything.  The 2 feet + totals were out in Eastern LI.

5 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Last year's Blizzard had liquid equivalent amounts under 2" but still yielded 27-28" so we don't necessarily need 3" liquid to get the really high amounts. I don't think we've ever actually gotten that much liquid during a snowstorm, instead usually ratios end up helping to get to the really high totals.

The CFS which seems to bounce from day to day, now has no definitive BN day until Feb. 14, though a few could go either way before then.

JB on his public videos, has been hawking how great Feb & Mar will be in the midwest and northeast for two weeks.    I do not know if that should make you feel excited or not.

1 minute ago, CIK62 said:

The CFS which seems to bounce from day to day, now has no definitive BN day until Feb. 14, though a few could go either way before then.

JB on his public videos, has been hawking how great Feb & Mar will be in the midwest and northeast for two weeks.    I do not know if that should make you feel excited or not.

Um this week we're going to have a couple of days below average so what you talking about williss? Do you do this on purpose or something just to get the weenies pissed. Grow up

5 hours ago, Paragon said:

Yeah I think if this would have been all snow, we'd have been disappointed along the lines of the Jan 2015 storm (which occurred close to this date, just like the one last year did.)  The one from Jan 2015, if you remember, was at one point forecast to bring us something like 30"+ of snow on the Euro and the NAM, and it ended up skirting us to the east and we got around 10" of snow and those in NJ got barely anything.  The 2 feet + totals were out in Eastern LI.

The precip totals with this look to be about what was expected, maybe a little dry. 

42 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Um this week we're going to have a couple of days below average so what you talking about williss? Do you do this on purpose or something just to get the weenies pissed. Grow up

He's just telling it like it is. No need to jump on him. In fact, he and snowman deserve some positive recognition in here in addition to Isotherm and bluewave for providing insightful analysis.

January 2017 now the snowiest month on record for Mammoth Mountain, CA. La Nina with strong Aleutian blocking

can be very snowy like they saw in the previous snowiest month December 2010.

http://ktla.com/2017/01/23/mammoth-mountain-reports-january-is-already-its-snowiest-month-in-recorded-history/

More snow has fallen so far this January than in any other month on record at Mammoth Mountain, the resort says.

The previous record — 209 inches in December 2010 — was surpassed Sunday morning, Mammoth Mountain said on its Facebook page.

As of Monday morning, 241 inches of snow had fallen this month at Mammoth’s main lodge, with 344 inches this season. That’s more than 20 feet so far this January.

C28a9CWUUAEDstP.jpg-small.jpg

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

January 2017 now the snowiest month on record for Mammoth Mountain, CA. La Nina with strong Aleutian blocking

can be very snowy like they saw in the previous snowiest month December 2010.

http://ktla.com/2017/01/23/mammoth-mountain-reports-january-is-already-its-snowiest-month-in-recorded-history/

More snow has fallen so far this January than in any other month on record at Mammoth Mountain, the resort says.

The previous record — 209 inches in December 2010 — was surpassed Sunday morning, Mammoth Mountain said on its Facebook page.

As of Monday morning, 241 inches of snow had fallen this month at Mammoth’s main lodge, with 344 inches this season. That’s more than 20 feet so far this January.

C28a9CWUUAEDstP.jpg-small.jpg

The snow pack down at Truckee is down to 78" after a high of 87" a couple of days ago, incredible.   There's 21.4" of water in that pack, good news for sure for out there.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived