Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hailstorm said:

Once again, the media is overhyping the hell out of this run-of-the-mill storm. Outside of legit hurricanes, severe cold shots, blizzards, and tornadoes, everyone should view everyday in NYC including today and tomorrow as "business as usual."

Disagree. Still possible wind gusts to 70 mph in parts of the area. As of last night it looked like widespread gusts 65+, which is a high impact event. Winds rarely verify, but we all know that they sometimes do, and when they do, the outcome is not pretty. 

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Disagree. Still possible wind gusts to 70 mph in parts of the area. As of last night it looked like widespread gusts 65+, which is a high impact event. Winds rarely verify, but we all know that they sometimes do, and when they do, the outcome is not pretty. 

A lot of models are backing off on the winds. And I don't understand why some schools are dismissing students early left and right as if the apocalypse is coming. I can almost guarantee that there will be no deaths in NYC from this storm.

4 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

A lot of models are backing off on the winds. And I don't understand why some schools are dismissing students early left and right as if the apocalypse is coming. I can almost guarantee that there will be no deaths in NYC from this storm.

You keep referencing NYC. Are you saying the boros? Parts of CNJ already gusting into the 60s. Parts of LI will gust into the 60s later on tonight. It takes a gust of 50 to bring down a weak tree, 65 can bring down a large tree. 

The vast majority of posters on  here do not live in the 5 boros themselves, so focusing on the 5 boros is misplaced, imho. The city is concrete with few trees in many areas, obviously any weather event has lessened effects there, including snow and wind. 

The models are backing off the winds west of the city, but not as much south and east of the city. Brooklyn is a generally horrendous place to live for a weather enthusiast, so i can understand your disappointment. But outside the concrete jungle this will still be a significant storm. 

9 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

What schools in NYC are dismissing early?

1 hour ago, Hailstorm said:

Once again, the media is overhyping the hell out of this run-of-the-mill storm. Outside of legit hurricanes, severe cold shots, blizzards, and tornadoes, everyone should view everyday in NYC including today and tomorrow as "business as usual."

Just because you may not personally be affected by this storm doesn't mean that it's not serious for others. Living so close to the water, you'd think you would be somewhat concerned for those that could experience significant coastal flooding from this, if nothing else.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The concrete building he lives in surrounded by more concrete might as well be a bunker.

Here in NE Queens, winds are constantly gusting past 40mph and there are already large trees branches down.

When the heavy banding gets here, winds will mix down and approach 60mph. That is very serious and the media needs to keep mentioning the danger to the public.

Rush hour will be treacherous.

Just now, ag3 said:

Here in NE Queens, winds are constantly gusting past 40mph and there area already large trees branches down.

When the heavy banding gets here, winds will mix down and approach 60mph. That is very serious and the media needs to keep mentioning the danger to the public.

Rush hour will be treacherous.

Exactly. 

I don't know what his problem is.

It's going to be pretty nasty everywhere, not just the city.

I will say as far as the first half of the storm on Long Island and the city it's definitely a bust. Run of the mill winds and limited coastal flooding to the absolute lowest areas. I have watched every storm since I was a kid along the canals of Wantagh and this isn't even in the top 50. An average winter brings a couple events with similar tide hights. It's partly the astronomical tides and partly the lower then forecast winds and surge

lets see what the second half brings. Bust as of right now in the city the winds are literally light. 

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I will say as far as the first half of the storm on Long Island and the city it's definitely a bust. Run of the mill winds and limited coastal flooding to the absolute lowest areas. I have watched every storm since I was a kid along the canals of Wantagh and this isn't even in the top 50. An average winter brings a couple events with similar tide hights. It's partly the astronomical tides and partly the lower then forecast winds and surge

lets see what the second half brings. Bust as of right now in the city the winds are literally light. 

The storm literally just started here the last hour. It was never supposed to ramp up until after dark.

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Well that is almost certainly incorrect. 

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yep.  It's not true.  The storm ended up being slower so the worst should be tonight as modeled over the last day or 2. 

I mean since the timing slowed way down yesterday. 

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived