Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

16 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The snow pack down at Truckee is down to 78" after a high of 87" a couple of days ago, incredible.   There's 21.4" of water in that pack, good news for sure for out there.

La Ninas with strong Aleutian ridges can really produce for that part of the country like we also saw in December 2010.

The -PNA trough gets displaced further SW than normal for a La Nina and just pounds the West Coast with a fire hose jet.

17.gif

D10.gif

Typical La Nina pattern

z500.l.all.a.w.gif

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

We'll to be fair, we did have two or so weeks of winter up here in December, January simply stinks though. Typically I'm good for snow till 3/1 then I shift into spring.

I think their was once decent storm here around 4-5" in December but I was in Florida for that.

Other than that, the most I've had in a single event is 1.5".

44 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think their was once decent storm here around 4-5" in December but I was in Florida for that.

Other than that, the most I've had in a single event is 1.5".

Yep, on 12/17/16 I recorded 5.7" of snow.  That was the biggest storm IMBY since 2/10/15 when I recorded 6.2" of snow.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well to be fair, we did have two or so weeks of winter up here in December, January simply stinks though. Typically I'm good for snow till 3/1 then I shift into spring.

January has def been a dud. On this side.. Ive only recorded 4.4" for the month. If it wasn't for December we would have been in the same situation as last yr

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

January has def been a dud. On this side.. Ive only recorded 4.4" for the month. If it wasn't for December we would have been in the same situation as last yr

Around my area January is turning out to be another study in odd contrasts that have become the new normal during the 2000's.

JFK is currently the 18th snowiest January on record with 11.1". At the same time, JFK is currently the 6th warmest on record.

This is the first time JFK will finish with above normal January snowfall while being so mild. But this probably doesn't make the

extended snow cover fans too happy.

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

Yep.  Coming up on two years since I saw a 6" or greater snowfall, and three years since I've seen a double digit snowfall, 18.1" on 2/14/14 was the last one.  I hope this isn't the start of the 80's all over again.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yep.  Coming up on two years since I saw a 6" or greater snowfall, and three years since I've seen a double digit snowfall, 18.1" on 2/14/14 was the last one.  I hope this isn't the start of the 80's all over again.

Luckily I'm a Spring/Summer guy and a bad winter doesn't bother me too much.  Of course I still enjoy a decent storm, like the Blizzard last year.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm behind all of the NYC stations in terms of snow, which is a pretty weird feeling.

5 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

For me the primary snow season is done the weekend after Presidents Day. It starts getting hard by then, sun angle problems begin and Spring sprouts in the South. After a sh*tty Winter I'm really looking forward to Spring. Can't come fast enough.

Winter gets less exciting by the 20th of January as the increased length of day is very noticeable.

6 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

For me the primary snow season is done the weekend after Presidents Day. It starts getting hard by then, sun angle problems begin and Spring sprouts in the South. After a sh*tty Winter I'm really looking forward to Spring. Can't come fast enough.

Any snowfall tenuous enough to be thwarted by a February sun angle wouldn't have been worthwhile even on the winter solstice.

5 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Winter gets less exciting by the 20th of January as the increased length of day is very noticeable.

I can't wait until July 20 so I can post about how summer is over and any warmth and severe after that date doesn't really count.

14 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I get that January sucked the big one, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to pull the spring trigger with February and March still squarely ahead of us. It's still weeks and weeks and weeks until nice wx begins in earnest.

Months. Especially for us on the island. Often on warm spring days the city and queens are in the 70s, while the island is in the upper 40s with fog and stratus...takes until early june for us to really warm up.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived