Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sept. 28-30 Rainfest Obs/Disc

Ellinwood

10 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Believe me, I care about you guys. I'm the one who made the thread for the lower shore people in the first place. I'm just saying this was a poorly modeled event that could be easily spun with a rainfall map to make it look like a win. Stay safe.

I appreciate your thoughts and your thread.  I often check it.  This was a poorly modeled event, the worst I have seen in awhile.  Our area was forecasted to get 4 inches at the most.  I feel for those people at the coasts.  They have to deal with flooding from the bay, ocean and rain.  I really don't want to see Matthew show up around here next week!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Have other people noticed how frequently we have coastal flooding now for the bay counties and for DC? It's like once a month or even more frequently nowadays that we see at least a coastal flood advisory.

It seemed like a no-brainer that we would see moderate coastal flooding in parts of the area with the extended easterly winds, and that's what's been forecast now for the next couple of cycles from DC to NJ.

Yes, I have and it all goes back to Sandy. The flooding was extensive here in Anne Arundel County but poorly forecasted/warned; at least as complained to me by several waterfront owners. Thus they seem to have "over compensated" ever since and put up those warnings in AA County much more than what is needed, or what was considered necessary before Sandy. But, aside from the "boy who cried wolf" issue, there's likely little,  if any, harm/downside. 

6 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The funny part is today was billed as the catastrophe for southern MD and its been a nice, cloudy fall day, while yesterday was supposed to be light rain but turned into a surprise 5 inches. I hope someone doesn't post a rain map for both days combined and call it a model victory though. :lol:

Edit: also its good to see Jebman back, I hope you stick around for the winter!

I'm bringing a major snow winter for DC with me lol, so much snow that DC'ers will be FED UP with snow by late Jan, and I'll be out savoring another snowy, refreshingly cool jebwalk lol

Welp, rain is rapidly dryin up, we will be cloudy for the rest of the night.

I am crying for Matthew to become a Cat 5 Cane and come right up the Ches Bay, then spin near Dale City, rainbanding me for days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days and days on end.

I LOVE HEAVY RAIN. I dont mind if I have to endure 83 degree dewpoints. I want Hoadly Run to rise 30 feet at Minnieville Rd. I'll be getting water depth readings and enjoying a flood jebwalk. If I got caught in the flood, I'd swim like Michael Phelps.

We have gotten about 5 more inches since my last post.  My yard is flooded.  I don't live near creeks or flood prone areas.  This is just rain laying on top of the flat ground.  It is good in a way as we have less "flash" to our flooding.  I can't imagine what the already flooded areas are like.  It is still raining although it is not the pounding rain that came down for most of the night.

8 minutes ago, SlowerLowerDE said:

We have gotten about 5 more inches since my last post.  My yard is flooded.  I don't live near creeks or flood prone areas.  This is just rain laying on top of the flat ground.  It is good in a way as we have less "flash" to our flooding.  I can't imagine what the already flooded areas are like.  It is still raining although it is not the pounding rain that came down for most of the night.

Sorry to hear of all the flooding.  What's your total for the event?

Hopefully you all can dry out before the Chunk in early November. I've got to see some flying pumpkins!

Up to 2.59" for the event so far, after some moderate rain this morning. Watched a transformer light up the sky in green/blue while leaving the house. Phone rang shortly thereafter from my husband saying the power was out. Then had a wonderful conversation with the kiddo who asked what a transformer was and how it worked. 

Good times. 

Wow those eastern shore amounts are crazy -- so the "atmospheric river" rain event happened, just 100-150 miles further east.  I'm glad - no one needs that much rain.

I'm surprised to see 1.7" since I emptied the gauge Wednesday night.  With Wednesday's 1.2, I got a total of 2.9 which I think is perfect.

f0bf1b26da6fce2f93df47222edc636d.jpg

This is the middle of Milton, DE, trying to get from Dogfish Head back to the road to the beaches -- took it out of the car window before we turned around.

Driving from Alexandria to the DE Beaches this morning, I really noticed the flooding after crossing into Delaware. Flooding doesn't appear nearly as bad where we're staying near Lewes or in Rehoboth, though creeks and ponds are high and you could see a good bit of standing water from the road. The ocean's pretty rough and the locals say the riptide is really bad right now.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived