Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Sure Microwave is impressive, but take a peep at recon. 

At the time of the advisory recon had just done one quad pass, central pressure was stable, and MW showed an improved structure...why would they lower the winds?

12 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The GFS ensembles have jumped on board with the ECMWF ensembles.

I think we see a marked shift east in the forecast cone at the 11PM update.  more of a pronounced turn away from the NC coast sparing much of NC of bad weather.  woohoo!

They HATE doing huge 6 hour shifts, particularly after only 6-12 hours of model runs, and the costs of being wrong on that shift are vast. I think you will be stunned at how little they shift the end of the track right. 

2 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

They HATE doing huge 6 hour shifts, particularly after 6 hours of model runs, and the costs of being wrong on that shift are vast. I think you will be stunned at how little they shift the end of the track right. 

There was one with Hermaine and it turned out to be a hiccup.

Im with ya!! Keep this thing away from here. Im astounded at the folks who wish for a landfalling hurricane smh. Some sadisitic folks out there for sure.

At any rate, yes there will be a marked shift east at 11:00 and by tomorrow morning we will see this as a trend not a 6 hour temporary shift.

For folks reading this with respect to possible landfall, we're talking about the late end track forecast. Essentially a sharper recurve that could benefit the coastal areas of North Carolina as hinted in the late 12z and 18z guidance. That however does not decrease the chance of a landfall further down the coast in the concave of the Florida/Ga/SC coastline. And also, any change in the modeling back towards a deeper trough and less zonal flow brings areas further up the coast back into play as well.

And yes, there are landfall weenies. But there are those that just want more certainty in a forecast. We just don't have that yet.

11 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

the 0Z models are out and follow suit.  2 model runs in a row with a shift east.

Actually if anything the 12Z's went west from the 06Z a tiny bit this afternoon, but then the 12Z models all started the slower speed and closer track down south with the turnout before landfall in NC.....so most 12Z runs all ran way east of the 12Z guidence

06Z

14L_tracks_06z.png

12Z 14L_tracks_12z.png

Just now, Shawn said:

I was under the impression that through the day, models didn't so much shift "East" to many.. especially in Florida, SC areas.  Maybe away from major impacts into NC and further up the East coast?  Am I wrong here?

No you are correct, if anything for FL/GA they have shifted west through the day.

2 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

btw, not sure if this was stated earlier, but I found out while I was asleep (work night shift at Andersen). but at least Beaufort SC, mandatory evacuations as of 3pm tomorrow, as per a friend of mine from HS who lives there.

Yep. The whole coast is evacuating. All of Beaufort County is in the mandatory zone. 

Just now, Joe4alb said:

Is it me, or do the last few frames look like it's moving almost due west over in Cuba. That was the case that would rip it to shreds

It will not come off Cuba a major hurricane and I never thought it would for one minute despite the NHCs forecast.  Euro has it at 969mb Tomorrow 12z

Is there a link or resource online that provides the times (zulu) for ECMWF, GFS, etc. (models in general, but I'm hoping to learn about the ones most pertinent to tropical systems) run results are posted/available? I'm sorry if this is a repeated question, a stupid question, or a question that should be posted elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any assistance :) 

9 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

This particular radar distorts radar imagery over land. So while it certainly did, I don't think its to the proportion that radar displays.

It's used to track moving objects and probably has some algorithm to remove things that it doesn't think is a plane which in this case is land.

http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/arsr-4.htm

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived