• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

It will not come off Cuba a major hurricane and I never thought it would for one minute despite the NHCs forecast.  Euro has it at 969mb Tomorrow 12z

I would totally take the bet that it comes off at least 110 knots.

This is a massive circulation and should not be underestimated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OUCH; can I relax now?

Stupid question intended ....

Not really. Notice how intense the eastern eyewall has remained. Also, notice the excellent banding structure with the northern eyewall and circulation before it crosses into the northeast coastline of Cuba. Clearly, restricted inflow on the western half of the circulation is causing fill and disruption. That's a large stretch of mountainous terrain and landmass. However, its looking pretty healthy besides. If it can maintain the excellent banding and part of the eyewall remains intense, it will wrap around quickly once it departs and restrengthen.

I'd say this is a Cat 3 right now though. It might drop to a 2, but it probably won't stay down long.

Matthew is going to be fine. Both the GFS and Euro showed a brief WNW track over Eastern Cuba. Once offshore it will be back over bath water and shear is forecasted to be near zero. That's why nearly all the guidance has Matthew as an intense Hurricane near the SE coast.

7 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Not really. Notice how intense the eastern eyewall has remained. Also, notice the excellent banding structure with the northern eyewall and circulation before it crosses into the northeast coastline of Cuba. Clearly, restricted inflow on the western half of the circulation is causing fill and disruption. That's a large stretch of mountainous terrain and landmass. However, its looking pretty healthy besides. If it can maintain the excellent banding and part of the eyewall remains intense, it will wrap around quickly once it departs and restrengthen.

I'd say this is a Cat 3 right now though. It might drop to a 2, but it probably won't stay down long.

Like I said - stupid question (which was intended) - maybe i should have said "rhetorical"  - this guy ain't done yet ....

It's still a Cat 4 as of 11pm, it's moving away from the coast now, so I have no idea what some are posting about.

...THE EYE OF POWERFUL HURRICANE MATTHEW MOVING OFF OF THE NORTHEASTERN COAST OF CUBA

I'm surprised they still have it a 4 to be honest. But i've explained my reasoning. It won't matter in 12-18 hours.

I'm surprised they still have it a 4 to be honest. But i've explained my reasoning. It won't matter in 12-18 hours.

"Some weakening has occurred due to interaction with the mountains of eastern Cuba and western Haiti. However, latest reports from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that the central pressure hasn't risen much and that the maximum winds have only decreased to an estimated 115 kt, keeping Matthew a dangerous category four hurricane."

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Hurricane Watches from Golden Beach to Sebastian Inlet, and for
Lake Okeechobee, have been changed to Hurricane Warnings. The
Hurricane Watch has been extended northward to the Flagler/Volusia
county line. The Tropical Storm Watch from Seven Mile Bridge to
Golden Beach has been changed to a Tropical Storm Warning, and
Tropical Storm Warnings have been added from Chokoloskee to Ocean
Reef, and for Florida Bay.

7 minutes ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

My friend just told me that her building in Cocoa Beach just informed them all that there are mandatory evacuation orders there -- which is interesting, because I haven't seen that officially posted. Anyone else? 

All I've seen for Florida is some barrier islands in Brevard County, Merritt Island, and some mobile homes in certain areas.

Just got a call from family down in Okracoke,NC that they will be making the drive up here to Buffalo,NY tomorrow because they are now under a mandatory evacuation. Seems a little early considering the latest trends with the models looking to be a little further S/E by the time it gets to that latitude. Ocracoke may get off with just a minor scraping if the model trend continues.

4 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Just got a call from family down in Okracoke,NC that they will be making the drive up here to Buffalo,NY tomorrow because they are now under a mandatory evacuation. Seems a little early considering the latest trends with the models looking to be a little further S/E by the time it gets to that latitude. Ocracoke may get off with just a minor scraping if the model trend continues.

Better safe then sorry policy, what I AM confused by is the lack of major costal evacs in Florida.

7 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Most likely due to the fact the only way off the island is by ferry. They wouldn't have much time to get folks to safety if the track shifts again and brings it right into the island. Especially since they have a limited number of ships to run.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived