Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

5 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Jesus...I just had a deer tick crawling around on the surface of my jeans after a short time outside picking up some fallen branches and twigs. I thought tick season was over after numerous hard freezes over the past few weeks and overnight lows last night in the upper 20s. At first I thought it was just some random small black bug crawling around on me since I have the window open on this unseasonably warm day, but nope, it was a tick. Glad I caught it.

Yeah ... unfortunately it doesn't work like that, the cold that is... They have some sugar chemistries in their blood that act like anti-freeze; the cold has to be very extreme before they succumb, and even then, they are hiding under the debris left over from leaf/autumn, which is also protected further under snow pack.

Tick mortality appears to be more susceptible to variability and drought -which, pretty much describes our Summer into early Autumn, I know.  I only know all this stuff because ten years ago I had a deer tick on the soft side of my interior elbow after helping weed my parents yard and crawling around under their Fire bush. Its butt was already pointing at the sky and it was digging in when I noticed it later that evening.  It was one of those white flash moments where everything slows down and your heart starts racing.  Black, menacing... I pulled the f'er off and a tiny reddish dot was left where I yanked the Nimph out.  Anyway, this prompted me to read up on them ... probing and probing research to prove it was harmless.  While not harmless - per se - it wasn't attached long enough per the literature; which turned out correct because I've never had Lyme Disease. 

I have a friend whose wife once said, "Honey - what's that on the back of your arm?"   ... He had no idea... But he had the block hole with the concentric red rings like a supernova. Literally, 20 minutes later ... he started feeling headache and nausea... It was like find it, to bed ridden in 1 hour flat...weird.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

image.jpg

Sunny skies with tropical miserymist blowing off the mountains. 

That's cool as sh*t man.  Nice downslope drying but wind blowing the light precip and mist downstream...that weather right there is not uncommon up here, haha.  Totally different environment though.  

9 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Jesus...I just had a deer tick crawling around on the surface of my jeans after a short time outside picking up some fallen branches and twigs. I thought tick season was over after numerous hard freezes over the past few weeks and overnight lows last night in the upper 20s. At first I thought it was just some random small black bug crawling around on me since I have the window open on this unseasonably warm day, but nope, it was a tick. Glad I caught it.

I got a deer tick bite last February. Them suckers are hardy!

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's cool as sh*t man.  Nice downslope drying but wind blowing the light precip and mist downstream...that weather right there is not uncommon up here, haha.  Totally different environment though.  

Hawaii is overstimulating for a weather weenie.  Where I'm staying right now averages 17" of rain per year, but those homes built up that hill in the photo are pushing 60". 

Some of the mountains here get more inches of rain than Jay Peak does inches of snow.  Kaneoho reported 247 consecutive days of rain.

All sorts of cool stuff.

11 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Hawaii is overstimulating for a weather weenie.  Where I'm staying right now averages 17" of rain per year, but those homes built up that hill in the photo are pushing 60". 

Some of the mountains here get more inches of rain than Jay Peak does inches of snow.  Kaneoho reported 247 consecutive days of rain.

All sorts of cool stuff.

Yeah it's pretty cool to see maps showing avg annual precip over the islands. I guess that's what happens when you throw 10k terrain into the trade winds in the tropics. It's too bad those highest volcanoes couldn't be a couple thousand feet taller...they'd have a glacier up at the peak.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah it's pretty cool to see maps showing avg annual precip over the islands. I guess that's what happens when you throw 10k terrain into the trade winds in the tropics. It's too bad those highest volcanoes couldn't be a couple thousand feet taller...they'd have a glacier up at the peak.

Give them another million years. 

3 hours ago, Hoth said:

Anyone else excited about GOES-R? Can't wait to see what this puppy can do.

You can get an idea by looking at Japan's satellite imagery - GOES-R is going to have the same imager that Japan's has. Not sure how much value the lightning is going to add though since we already have the NLDN.

On 11/19/2016 at 6:35 PM, wxeyeNH said:

GOES R about to launch.  Big jump forward in weather technology.  Can't wait.  4 times better resolution, real time lightning data and more.  I think they said a year of testing.  First of several new satellites.    

We should have live data late March, barring any setbacks. Our hope is that GOES-R replaces GOES-East, otherwise we'll have to wait until GOES-S launches sometime in 2019. 

It will have two meso-floater domains, one of which is defaulted to the Megalopolis so we'll benefit by having it always being around (unless someone requests to move it for severe weather) for 1 min data. The cool part is they can actually overlay both meso-floater domains on top of each other and offset scanning by 30 seconds. Meaning you could get 30 second satellite data. Better than radar!

But if you want a taste, check out the Japanese Himawari data. That's what all our training will be done with (all 13 hours!).

On 11/19/2016 at 9:42 PM, eekuasepinniW said:

All sorts of cool stuff.

On 11/20/2016 at 9:21 AM, dendrite said:

Here's a peek at Maui for 2015. You can see some totals pushing 200" on the Hana Hwy. I attached the stream gauge there at 178" (Wailua'iki Stream) for the month I was on Maui last year. The spike in discharge around May 9th was when we drove the Hana Hwy dodging washouts because of 14" on the mountain slopes upstream overnight.

I can vouch for the West Maui Mountains too. We stayed near Kapalua, where it rained just about every day because showers wrapped around the mountains to the north. Meanwhile it was bright sun every day near Lahaina because of the downsloping. 

2016-11-21_9-55-27.png

USGS.16518000.42373.00060..20150501.20150531.log.0.p50.gif

Been to the islands 3 times. Microclimates are insane. By the way the Old Hotel Hana is for sale if you guys are interested. We stayed there years ago and got caught in a 12" one day rain event.  Major flooding in Hana and washed out part of the Hana Highway. No way in or out.  No power. Missed our flight home.  Never seen rain like that.  During part of it we just swam in the heated pool.  Temp dew was like 76/76F.  Felt like we were in a bathroom shower. Vis was1/4 to like 1/8 mile in heavy rain. Everyplace was just torrents of water.  One of my lifetime top weather events.

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Been to the islands 3 times. Microclimates are insane. By the way the Old Hotel Hana is for sale if you guys are interested. We stayed there years ago and got caught in a 12" one day rain event.  Major flooding in Hana and washed out part of the Hana Highway. No way in or out.  No power. Missed our flight home.  Never seen rain like that.  During part of it we just swam in the heated pool.  Temp dew was like 76/76F.  Felt like we were in a bathroom shower. Vis was1/4 to like 1/8 mile in heavy rain. Everyplace was just torrents of water.  One of my lifetime top weather events.

I (sadly) just started editing my pictures from 6 months ago. I have some great ones from the Hana Hwy. Literally torrents as you say running off the cliffs and onto the road and the waterfalls were roaring. We missed a washout by less than an hour. They managed to get a front end loader in to push the debris over the cliff by the time we arrived.

Archived