Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I (sadly) just started editing my pictures from 6 months ago. I have some great ones from the Hana Hwy. Literally torrents as you say running off the cliffs and onto the road and the waterfalls were roaring. We missed a washout by less than an hour. They managed to get a front end loader in to push the debris over the cliff by the time we arrived.

Jesus I can imagine how bad that road must have been in those torrents. The SE and S side of the island was like driving on Mars. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Jesus I can imagine how bad that road must have been in those torrents. The SE and S side of the island was like driving on Mars. 

I did get to touching up my Haleakala pics and it really does look like somebody dropped you on Mars. Kind of felt like that much oxygen too. 

I'll try and remember to post it later today, but I have this one shot of where we pulled over to snap some photos of a waterfall. And there is so much water falling off the cliff onto the car that Beth had to get out of the driver's side to avoid letting it drench the inside of the car.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's a neat graphic. We stayed just north of Lahaina. 

I wonder what percentage of tourists are confused out of their minds when they land on Maui and drive through this to get to the Kaanapali resort area.  

DSCN1113.JPG

On the plus side, the wind by Maalaea and especially the backside of Haleakala was epic.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I did get to touching up my Haleakala pics and it really does look like somebody dropped you on Mars. Kind of felt like that much oxygen too. 

I'll try and remember to post it later today, but I have this one shot of where we pulled over to snap some photos of a waterfall. And there is so much water falling off the cliff onto the car that Beth had to get out of the driver's side to avoid letting it drench the inside of the car.

Sounds great... it had been pretty dry by Hana standards when I was there, so the waterfalls were all rather underwhelming.

39 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Sounds great... it had been pretty dry by Hana standards when I was there, so the waterfalls were all rather underwhelming.

We had a strong trade regime while we were there, coupled with a nice area of higher than normal moisture. We did luck out that we got to Haleakala without a socked in summit, but the rest of the week dodged rain showers.

The wind was ripping through the saddle by Maalaea so bad that our snorkel trip to Molokini was cancelled because of surf.

We did the road to Hanna too and it was a sunny day. My favorite part was the lava tune that isn't marked...but if you read in some guide books they will tell you. 

Did the red sand beach at the end too. When we were on the big island there was actually snow on top of Mauna Kea. It was April when we went. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We did the road to Hanna too and it was a sunny day. My favorite part was the lava tune that isn't marked...but if you read in some guide books they will tell you. 

Did the red sand beach at the end too. When we were on the big island there was actually snow on top of Mauna Kea. It was April when we went. 

Was the tube just off the highway, or was there like a stand where you rented flashlights? Because we did one with the rented lights that was pretty cool.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Was the tube just off the highway, or was there like a stand where you rented flashlights? Because we did one with the rented lights that was pretty cool.

It was right off (like next to) the highway...nothing there except a little pull-off across the street from where the tube started. Then you cross the street and there's a small opening in the rock but it opens up quite a bit once inside. It goes back about 50 yards or so and the opening at the end is a bit below ground level with tree roots hanging down and stuff...pretty cool. It's easy to climb out though.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was right off (like next to) the highway...nothing there except a little pull-off across the street from where the tube started. Then you cross the street and there's a small opening in the rock but it opens up quite a bit once inside. It goes back about 50 yards or so and the opening at the end is a bit below ground level with tree roots hanging down and stuff...pretty cool. It's easy to climb out though.

I'm guessing it was probably too dangerous for us to venture into a tube like that then. Every waterfall was closed to swimmers the day we picked because of high water.

Ginxy Sea Scroll Pants Tent.

Weather History for November 22

An observer at Boston, MA, recorded a great tempest of wind and rain from the southeast all night, as fierce as a hurricane, and thereupon followed the highest tide which we have seen since our arrival here . (David Ludlum)

59 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

An observer at Boston, MA, recorded a great tempest of wind and rain from the southeast all night, as fierce as a hurricane, and thereupon followed the highest tide which we have seen since our arrival here . (David Ludlum)

DIT's screamin' soueaster?

Happy Euro upgrade day 12Z

Latest change (15.11.2016): The implementation date is confirmed as Tuesday 22 November 2016. The first operational run using the new cycle will be the 06 UTC analysis and forecast in the Boundary Conditions Optional Programme on 22 November followed by the 12 UTC main assimilation and forecast. The monthly forecast extension to the ensemble will be run with IFS Cycle 43r1 for the first time on Thursday 24 November 2016.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Forget slipping misery mist in, this is how I should start writing my AFDs.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Happy Euro upgrade day 12Z

Latest change (15.11.2016): The implementation date is confirmed as Tuesday 22 November 2016. The first operational run using the new cycle will be the 06 UTC analysis and forecast in the Boundary Conditions Optional Programme on 22 November followed by the 12 UTC main assimilation and forecast. The monthly forecast extension to the ensemble will be run with IFS Cycle 43r1 for the first time on Thursday 24 November 2016.

Will be interesting to see how it helps or hurts this winter. Will be cool to see the EPS at GFS resolution though.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Forget slipping misery mist in, this is how I should start writing my AFDs.

On the twentieth of the last February there came on a Snow which being added unto what had covered the ground a few days before made a thicker mantle for Mother than what was usual And y storm with was for the following day so violent as to make communication between ye Neighbors every where cease People for some hours could not pass from side of a street unto another & ye poor Women happened in this critical time to fall into Travail putt unto Hardships which anon produced many stories for us But on y Twenty fourth day of y Month comes Pelion upon Ossa Another Snow on which almost buried ye Memory of ye former a Storm so famous that Heaven laid an Interdict on y Religious Assemblies throughout y Country on Lord's day y like whereunto had never been seen before The Indians near an hundred years old that their Fathers never told them of any thing equalled it Vast numbers of Cattel were destroyed this Calamity Whereof some there were of y sort were found standing dead on their legs as if had been alive many weeks after when y Snow away And others had their eyes glazed over with at such a rate that being not far from ye Sea their mistake of their way drowned them there One gentleman on whose farms were now lost above 1100 sheep with other Cattel were interred shall I say or Innived in the Snow writes me word that there were two very singularly circumstanced For no less than 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

On the twentieth of the last February there came on a Snow which being added unto what had covered the ground a few days before made a thicker mantle for Mother than what was usual And y storm with was for the following day so violent as to make communication between ye Neighbors every where cease People for some hours could not pass from side of a street unto another & ye poor Women happened in this critical time to fall into Travail putt unto Hardships which anon produced many stories for us But on y Twenty fourth day of y Month comes Pelion upon Ossa Another Snow on which almost buried ye Memory of ye former a Storm so famous that Heaven laid an Interdict on y Religious Assemblies throughout y Country on Lord's day y like whereunto had never been seen before The Indians near an hundred years old that their Fathers never told them of any thing equalled it Vast numbers of Cattel were destroyed this Calamity Whereof some there were of y sort were found standing dead on their legs as if had been alive many weeks after when y Snow away And others had their eyes glazed over with at such a rate that being not far from ye Sea their mistake of their way drowned them there One gentleman on whose farms were now lost above 1100 sheep with other Cattel were interred shall I say or Innived in the Snow writes me word that there were two very singularly circumstanced For no less than 

Ye olde slantsticker. 

Archived