Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It was glare ice all the way past 393. I was literally driving with fear because I was losing control with any excessive turn. I felt like I was in one of those southern icing events where stopped cars are sliding sideways off of roads into ditches.

Terrifying when gravity takes over from a dead stop.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It was glare ice all the way past 393. I was literally driving with fear because I was losing control with any excessive turn. I felt like I was in one of those southern icing events where stopped cars are sliding sideways off of roads into ditches.

Yikes. That's not cool at all. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Looked like there were advisories out though. I would have thought DOT crews would act on those. 

We did have advisories out. Unfortunately, the mixed messaging doesn't help reinforce the freezing rain threat. I probably would've gone freezing rain advisory for most of NH and parts of southwestern ME, because snow was never really a threat. The mountains, sure winter weather advisory makes sense.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The worst feeling in the world. I once did a 360 unintended on Rt 95 at night. hitting a small valley what was rain turned to glare ice, didn't even hit the brakes just all of sudden was spinning like a top, luckily no one around and I regained control somehow. No fun at 60 mph

cold november rain - just seems this month was hell-bent on banal climo.

actually, it may only seem that way.  the majors appear to be +1 pretty much across the board ... running ~ -2 in p.   today may offset the latter some.. 

it just was a painfully uneventful month, for me anyway.  

On the other hand, I did go past a pickup that had gone off the road on 136 in Francestown. The roads were sanded and salted like crazy but still the traffic was going in the 15 - 20 mph range, well into New Boston. Drove me crazy! The temp was clearly about freezing at that point, the roads were heavily treated, no one was sliding and still it was the Mr. Magoo parade. 

The warnings were definitely headed by the drivers in my neck of the woods!

Sorry it was so bad north of 393!

9 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Will plan for more time in Lahaina and less on Kauai/Waikiki on future trips.

At least it was sunny for Kualoa ranch... almost too much scenery to handle.

Did you do one of the horseback tours at Kualoa Ranch?   My wife and I did the 2 hour tour and loved it.  Would probably do it again the next time we are there.

Archived