Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You prob average around 1.5" of snow in November. So you have pretty unrealistic expectations. 

I hear ya but it's 11/30.....what's the average 11/15-12/15?  Has to be 6" at least here in West Hartford......lol.....right in the middle of that range and it's raining....lame

8 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I hear ya but it's 11/30.....what's the average 11/15-12/15?  Has to be 6" at least here in West Hartford......lol.....right in the middle of that range and it's raining....lame

Normal should be around 4 to 4.5". Seems equally likely you see nothing in that window as you see double digits.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

4.1 and that includes all of Nov

Yeah, I ran a graph on xmACIS that used the total threaded HFD history. So it's probably slightly off of the normal. The point is that it's definitely more likely to see less than 1" than it is to see more than 10" through mid Dec. 

I checked BDL for the period 11/29-12/1...3 days. Going back to 1949, there was a total of 68 days with measurable precip on those dates. 10 out of those 68 days produced measurable snowfall. Only 3 of those 10 days were an inch or more. 

Rain is the overwhelming favorite to occur when any precip of significance occurs. 

Snow obviously CAN occur now, but I think that makes us a little impatient with inflated expectations vs reality. 

Even at ORH in a much more favorable spot, the ratio of the measurable snow to measurable precip days in that same sample of 11/29-12/1 dates was 18/72. So 25% of the time there. 

1.4" two day total so far.   My five year old asked me tonight when I thought "the sun would be back".  Been a cloudy stretch the past week. 

Wife has the news on and one of the local mets said "if this rain had been snow it would have been well over a foot".  WTF is that anyway?  That logic has always driven me crazy because if a storm was snow instead of rain many of the atmospheric parameters would have been different and QPF might not have been the same. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

1.4" two day total so far.   My five year old asked me tonight when I thought "the sun would be back".  Been a cloudy stretch the past week. 

Wife has the news on and one of the local mets said "if this rain had been snow it would have been well over a foot".  WTF is that anyway?  That logic has always driven me crazy because if a storm was snow instead of rain many of the atmospheric parameters would have been different and QPF might not have been the same. 

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle 

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Why doesn't the NWS have a climate center at CHH?

PLus the 00z GFS is now suppressed with the major cutter, now showing a secondary low develop off the MD coastline.

CHH still does balloon launches. They never had a full sfc obs climate site though. Only a coop. They did have the old radars there though in the 1970s and 1980s before the WSR-88D radar took over in Taunton. The old radars at CHH worked in conjunction with radars at ORH to cover the region. I can't remember if BOS had one but I'm not sure they did. 

Archived