Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

While not completely clear skies, I remember the end of the 2/2/15 event late that night was a very thin cloud deck but we were still getting solid 2 mile vis fluffy hooked dendrites falling. Prob 30 to 1 or 40 to 1 stuff. You could easily see the moon...almost just looked hazy rather than a faint disc. It was prob showing up as like 8 or 10dbz on clear air mode on the radar...definitely pretty low level, but the airmass was so cold by that point that 2000-3000 feet up was comfortably within the dendritic growth zone.

We get that to some extent quite a bit.  In town we often see the moon and stars while it's snowing because the parent cloud is west over the mountain.  Above us is cleared out but we are getting 1-4sm vis SN- of just pure cotton candy drifting down from a few miles away.

Then there are the days when the DZG is at the surface and you get 2-3" of almost pure air while it's 20% RH at like H7.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We get that to some extent quite a bit.  In town we often see the moon and stars while it's snowing because the parent cloud is west over the mountain.  Above us is cleared out but we are getting 1-4sm vis SN- of just pure cotton candy drifting down from a few miles away.

That's magical stuff. That's one thing those mtn towns do well getting those scenes going. Walking aroud to wheever at night with perfect flakes falling to get the wintry mood going.  

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Incredible. I'm glad to say that I finally lived through a scroll-like winter. Snow up to thy privates.

I still laugh at the picture where you were angrily chopping at the snow with a shovel while your beaten snowblower lie idling uselessly by your side. unable to defeat the mounds of snow in its way.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I still laugh at the picture where you were angrily chopping at the snow with a shovel while your beaten snowblower lie idling uselessly by your side. unable to defeat the mounds of snow in its way.

LOL. Although no anger at all....had to chop it down as it was tooo tall for snow blower. That was my deck. 

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember that night so very well and posted pictures here. It was like living in a cotton fairy tale  world, the fluff was magical, you could literally blow the snow off the deck, when you stepped the wind you made cleared a path. That coop equiv was probably under measured but 30-1 was probably right, most amazing night as it snowed under clear sky and then we had diamond dust.

LOL, now that’s someone with an appreciation for the potency of low-density dendritic snow.  Imagine multiple feet of that substance filling thousands of acres… with the tools to float in it and gravity at your beck and call.  Powder skiing aficionados treasure fluff in just the same way you described it above (cotton, fluff, fairy tale, dust, etc.) – to them, skiing on snow will always be subpar to literally floating down a mountainside through snow.  Unfortunately, the denser the snow, the more you have to ski on it instead of through it, and the lighter and drier the fluff, the more rarified it is.  Yeah it takes a long time for it to build into a snowpack, but the “real” vs. “fake” snow comparison is more appropriately the “real” vs. “surreal” comparison.  Great description of your experience Ginx.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's magical stuff. That's one thing those mtn towns do well getting those scenes going. Walking aroud to wheever at night with perfect flakes falling to get the wintry mood going.  

Yeah the mood snow is awesome on a winter evening walking through the village...but so is a freakin blizzard lol.  

But your right, something about walking through a New England town with holiday lights and white steeple churches as those half dollar fluffer nutters fall. 

Then there's this all-business feel of more synoptic snowflakes like needles and columns  or small plates.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the mood snow is awesome on a winter evening walking through the village...but so is a freakin blizzard lol.  

But your right, something about walking through a New England town with holiday lights and white steeple churches as those half dollar fluffer nutters fall. 

Then there's this all-business feel of more synoptic snowflakes like needles and columns  or small plates.  

Yeah, you know what I mean. Hard to describe, but it's special. I had one night in Boston like that in 2008. I was walking through the common after dinner when the snow was just light and fluffy dendrites and no wind. An awesome backdrop of sky scrapers and Christmas lights in the common. Can't beat that.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, you know what I mean. Hard to describe, but it's special. I had one night in Boston like that in 2008. I was walking through the common after dinner when the snow was just light and fluffy dendrites and no wind. An awesome backdrop of sky scrapers and Christmas lights in the common. Can't beat that.

Dec 20, 2008....lol...we had the weenie inverted trough behind the 12/19 system and prior to the 12/21 system. It was like 30 to 1 cotton candy falling that day and the flakes lasted into the evening.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec 20, 2008....lol...we had the weenie inverted trough behind the 12/19 system and prior to the 12/21 system. It was like 30 to 1 cotton candy falling that day and the flakes lasted into the evening.

Yep. Not often you get no wind and dendrites falling in Boston, but it did that evening. Perfect with the 10-12" OTG already from the previous 24 hrs. It was the night I got engaged too...lol.  So, that will be a night I'll remember for awhile. 

15 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL, now that’s someone with an appreciation for the potency of low-density dendritic snow.  Imagine multiple feet of that substance filling thousands of acres… with the tools to float in it and gravity at your beck and call.  Powder skiing aficionados treasure fluff in just the same way you described it above (cotton, fluff, fairy tale, dust, etc.) – to them, skiing on snow will always be subpar to literally floating down a mountainside through snow.  Unfortunately, the denser the snow, the more you have to ski on it instead of through it, and the lighter and drier the fluff, the more rarified it is.  Yeah it takes a long time for it to build into a snowpack, but the “real” vs. “fake” snow comparison is more appropriately the “real” vs. “surreal” comparison.  Great description of your experience Ginx.

I have skied that quite often over the past 50 years and it is as you describe.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. Not often you get no wind and dendrites falling in Boston, but it did that evening. Perfect with the 10-12" OTG already from the previous 24 hrs. It was the night I got engaged too...lol.  So, that will be a night I'll remember for awhile. 

Bet YOU changed your undies that night.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For the perfect dendrites or the engagement? Think about if your wife reads the boards before answering.

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember this! I was trashed that night following my company's holiday event and subsequent afterparty. I chose to walk home to my apartment on Mass Ave. in Back Bay all the way from Southie.

The fluff was spectacular.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Awesome.  Sweet engagement weather haha. 

Thats really when the fluff is nice, when a snowpack is already established.  Then you get cotton candy on top of it and it's like you drew it up for maximum "wintery appeal."  That calm wind fluff is the stuff that stacks up even on light poles and power lines sometimes, those big dendrites land and stack on every little twig and branch.  Great appeal once a synoptic snowpack is down, and keeps everything looking fresh.  Amazing how an old snowpack can be rejuvenated with even like 2" of sparkling fluff.

GFS shows winds veer northerly over CHH and the Outer Cape from December 4th through 6th as an offshore storm develops and pushes flow more northerly before the high pressure comes overhead and shuts it down December 6th after 18z.  With SSTs around 50F right now or 11C any 850mb temps dropping below -6C as the models show will lead to Delta Ts near 19C will yield to impressive snowfall rates.

Archived