joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 obs/ discussion

2010 extreme

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only good thing that below freezing lows do in April is keep the onset of mosquito season at bay. I thought this morning was pretty annoying.

Slows the blooming period too. Stuff got stalled hard since this weekend. Well.. as long as they don't freeze and fall off. :P

Plus we're getting some March back lol.

Yeah, the copying and pasting of severe weather warnings is much more enjoyable.  :P

bleh. I like seasons.. it's very green here now. Time to be spring. That said, it's partly annoying because 1) cold is always hyped and 2) people go crazy over a -10 to -15 departure when it's cold and barely say anything when it's warm. Early April freezes used to be the norm even into DC.... our perception of reality is very warm biased.

Hey guys,  Just came to read through your thread.  4F up here in Concord NH this AM.  My family lives near Dullas Airport.  I am curious how the vegatation did down there last night?  Of course up here everything is still dormant, no forsythia or early bloomers even open yet. I don't know the state of the forest canopy and how much is in blossom but I would guess a lot of things took a major hit last night or will even more so tonight.  Several years ago up here we had a very late freeze.  Late May.  Even the oak trees had leafed out.  The forests turned brown a few days later and everyone lost their gardens.  Fortunately deciduous trees will grow a second leaf set but apple trees already in full blossom may loose fruit later in the year.  I'm curious if anyone has noticed tree damage?  I assume places like Home Depot and Walmarts already have plants outside.  Wonder how they faired?

Enjoy spring down there.  We still have a few weeks to wait up here.  Crazy thing is we have only gotten 20" of snow all winter, most of you have gotten more than me up in Central NH! 

bleh. I like seasons.. it's very green here now. Time to be spring. That said, it's partly annoying because 1) cold is always hyped and 2) people go crazy over a -10 to -15 departure when it's cold and barely say anything when it's warm. Early April freezes used to be the norm even into DC.... our perception of reality is very warm biased.

Yeah, I saw a traffic cam on NBC 4 this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Out side of the flowering trees like the Bradford Pears and redbuds, it still looks like winter here.

I think you see a greater reaction to cold because most people don't like cold.

Hey guys,  Just came to read through your thread.  4F up here in Concord NH this AM.  My family lives near Dullas Airport.  I am curious how the vegatation did down there last night?  Of course up here everything is still dormant, no forsythia or early bloomers even open yet. I don't know the state of the forest canopy and how much is in blossom but I would guess a lot of things took a major hit last night or will even more so tonight.  Several years ago up here we had a very late freeze.  Late May.  Even the oak trees had leafed out.  The forests turned brown a few days later and everyone lost their gardens.  Fortunately deciduous trees will grow a second leaf set but apple trees already in full blossom may loose fruit later in the year.  I'm curious if anyone has noticed tree damage?  I assume places like Home Depot and Walmarts already have plants outside.  Wonder how they faired?

Enjoy spring down there.  We still have a few weeks to wait up here.  Crazy thing is we have only gotten 20" of snow all winter, most of you have gotten more than me up in Central NH! 

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think it was cold enough out here nor do we really have much in the way of leaves.

25 degrees probably won't do much damage at this point.

Slows the blooming period too. Stuff got stalled hard since this weekend. Well.. as long as they don't freeze and fall off. :P

Plus we're getting some March back lol.

I've seen it happen.  Saw a hard freeze in late May when I lived in swva about 10 or so years ago.  Many trees that were already fully leafed lost them.  Took until about mid to late June to look normal again.

I like seasons too and it's definitely time to be spring. Highs near 50 (or 40's) + wind is no longer welcome in my yard. It is normal for freezes in spring but the first half of this month is looking pretty crappy in the spring weather dept. Persistent cool shots appear on tap for the foreseeable future. I'd much rather have some storms and highly variable weather (mix of cool and warm) than persistent below normal with brief breaks before the next front. That +20 departure on the 1st is going to be a distant memory soon. 

I like seasons too and it's definitely time to be spring. Highs near 50 (or 40's) + wind is no longer welcome in my yard. It is normal for freezes in spring but the first half of this month is looking pretty crappy in the spring weather dept. Persistent cool shots appear on tap for the foreseeable future. I'd much rather have some storms and highly variable weather (mix of cool and warm) than persistent below normal with brief breaks before the next front. That +20 departure on the 1st is going to be a distant memory soon. 

I sure am enjoying idea of cold..I just wish we could throw in some snow tv for fun.  plenty of time for warmth over the next 6 months so bring on the chill

It doesn't bother me all that much since the sun angle is really high and even a cold day isn't that terrible. Today's not the best though with the wind...

But we're into "Nice Day" climo for a while so it's one of those times of year you hate to punt a normal day.. as if we get those anyway hah. =p

Signs pretty strong things flip around mid-month... but yeah prob 60-70% cool thru that happening.

Yeah, I saw a traffic cam on NBC 4 this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Out side of the flowering trees like the Bradford Pears and redbuds, it still looks like winter here.

I think you see a greater reaction to cold because most people don't like cold.

yeah even the general woods trees are going green at this point. maybe 15-20% of trees still sticks, rest in various levels of greenery. still way ahead normal with that stuff.. at least two weeks probably, but this should try to even things out a bit I suppose. 

We drove back from the Naples/Marco Island, FL area this past weekend, and it was interesting see the change from full late spring in GA/SC to mid spring in NC to just getting started here.

This cold is a SHOCK, especially since we had a very hot week down there with highs of 85-90 and lows in the 70s.  It was over a +6 departure for the week, which was the warmest last week of March I could find going back to 2012.  We got lucky - they have had some real chilly ones the last few years.

I don't want heat, but days in the 40's and low 50's this time of the year with wind is terrible. Really, those days are worthless any time of the year to me. Once it gets to this time of the year, either give me 30's and freak snow or give me 65-70. I've certainly had enough of the wind. I feel like every day for the past two weeks has been windy.

What's the euro showing for the next few days?

Cold tonight, near normal tomorrow, above normal Thursday with rain, .5-.7" for most. Mid 30s for lows Saturday morning, highs 45-50, breezy. Sunday, lows near freezing, highs 40-45, still breezy.

Cold tonight, near normal tomorrow, above normal Thursday with rain, .5-.7" for most. Mid 30s for lows Saturday morning, highs 45-50, breezy. Sunday, lows near freezing, highs 40-45, still breezy.

Thanks, that actually seems warmer than the gfs. No snow I suppose.

Archived