• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 obs/ discussion

2010 extreme

You have to factor in what grows here naturally.  You can't expect to plant just anything you want and have it do well.  I'm not saying that you are doing that. Kinda like trying to grow oranges....ain't gonna happen, lol. 

I think your apples will be ok though.

I don't plant anything that's not hardy in my zone (7b). This really isn't a typical late season cold snap for my area though- the duration was the biggest problem I think. I was at 30 or below for about 10 hours- that's hard on any growing plant.

Oh well, I'm done complaining.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a lot of time, effort and money spent on something that has a very low success rate (in this region, at least).

thats why i don't plant anything new, except for veggies. i just let whatever was there previously come back on their own. 

6z GFS had the same general idea.    It's primarily a daytime event with marginal temps, and it relies on one those odd trowel setups,  so there is a lot working against it, but the 500 pattern is most intriguing.     It certainly seems like there is a reasonable chance that snowflakes will fill the air.

Nam says snow shovel and not garden shovel for you this weekend. 

I don't plant anything that's not hardy in my zone (7b). This really isn't a typical late season cold snap for my area though- the duration was the biggest problem I think. I was at 30 or below for about 10 hours- that's hard on any growing plant.

Oh well, I'm done complaining.

I'm not exactly sure where you are at.  Perhaps it is quite a bit warmer there than here.  This cold isn't really unusual here.

Good luck with your plantings.  I still think you'll be ok in the long run.

I'm not exactly sure where you are at.  Perhaps it is quite a bit warmer there than here.  This cold isn't really unusual here.

Good luck with your plantings.  I still think you'll be ok in the long run.

The unusual warmth in March pushed the plants into tender growth early. Trees shrubs and perennials will be ok in the long run, but many plants will not be blooming this year and will look pretty ratty and that's pretty frustrating.

Got three large hydrangeas that get beautiful in summer -- they have lots of new tender leaves that were zapped by the back to back nights in the 20s.  Will be interesting to see if they bloom well.

I garden for butterflies and hummingbirds, but I start the plants indoors under lights and plant around the first weekend in May due to our gardening-hostile climate.  (Yeah, I grow plants under lights in my basement LOL).

Move that little duck pin bowling ball 50 miles south and it's an accum event in my yard. Interesting...

gfs_z500_vort_neus_13.png

When you look at the surface there is a north trend, but the h5 is actually deepening.  That's the first closed contour I've seen.

This might end up pretty good.

We need a Euro run down from somebody in a few hours.

It's why I said I'd keep the snow contest open until mid/late April lol

All it takes is 0.4" at IAD to change the leaderboard  :whistle:

The setup has had some appeal even from long range. Now we are closing in and the details are actually moving towards favorable for an event in the area. GFS/NAM have precip moving in predawn. GFS and NAM also pretty energetic with upper level support. I mentioned earlier that this would be a key for any chance at daytime accum snowfall. 

I'll probably be on the outside looking in but the northern zones are looking pretty good for more than a car topper. 

The setup has had some appeal even from long range. Now we are closing in and the details are actually moving towards favorable for an event in the area. GFS/NAM have precip moving in predawn. GFS and NAM also pretty energetic with upper level support. I mentioned earlier that this would be a key for any chance at daytime accum snowfall. 

I'll probably be on the outside looking in but the northern zones are looking pretty good for more than a car topper. 

oh please, do tell me more. cannot wait for a cold snowy weekend, in April. 

:P

Has anyone actually been outside today? It's pretty nice. All this complaining for like 24 hours of actually uncomfortable conditions.

i have. windy, but not awful. of course its probably 5 degrees or so warmer in DC than here. 

Archived