joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs thread Part 2

mappy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm 0.3 miles to Ellicott City, 1 mile to Columbia.  My house says dusting, but yours could very well be 1"

Steady snow most of morning.  No rain mixed in so far but sometimes it has looked like white rain, other times big flakes.  But temp has gone up 1 degree to 34, so that's not helping.  Grass is pasted white but you can still see some of the grass.  That Bethesda-Rockvile band of yellows may miss Columbia and head more thru Central HoCo - we shall see. Roads are fine. Could be close to 1" that has fallen but melting and compacting hurts.

Wife says it's now 38 in Germantown, and the snow is melting as it hits the ground.  Milestone Shopping Center heat island effect?

Oh well -- this one coulda been a contender with decent temps.

Have a hard time believing the 38 degree reading.  None of the CWOP/APRS stations in Germantown are above 34.

Big difference between home (Herndon) and work (Tyson's).  Been snowing moderately here at work since I got in at 9 (outside of a 30 minute lull) but only a little bit of white on the mulch.  Snow isn't even sticking to cars.  Back home, when I left about 8:20 the sidewalks, driveways and grass were all covered and it was snowing heavily. 

I full expect it to warm up all over fairfax county to the point that roads will be fine, which is why I assume fcps hasn't closed early yet, but I'm starting to wonder about how bad my home commute will be. 

Big difference between home (Herndon) and work (Tyson's).  Been snowing moderately here at work since I got in at 9 (outside of a 30 minute lull) but only a little bit of white on the mulch.  Snow isn't even sticking to cars.  Back home, when I left about 8:20 the sidewalks, driveways and grass were all covered and it was snowing heavily. 

I full expect it to warm up all over fairfax county to the point that roads will be fine, which is why I assume fcps hasn't closed early yet, but I'm starting to wonder about how bad my home commute will be. 

Activities are cancelled tonight after 6:15pm for FCPS

Not a chance

Roads are fine even in the neighborhoods. Rates out here not impressive. Mostly light snow with mini flakes and occasional burst of moderate snow with fatties. Only last a few minutes and then back to light mini flakes.

Roads are fine even in the neighborhoods. Rates out here not impressive. Mostly light snow with mini flakes and occasional burst of moderate snow with fatties. Only last a few minutes and then back to light mini flakes.

Oh, well that's a little sad then.  Radar watching it looked like Herndon and Western ffx were getting some good snow. 

Wife says it's now 38 in Germantown, and the snow is melting as it hits the ground.  Milestone Shopping Center heat island effect?

Oh well -- this one coulda been a contender with decent temps.

I am only two miles from you.  my temp is 34!  can't be that different from your area. 

Archived