joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs thread Part 2

mappy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the fook. Had to clear the driveway this morning. Had 1.75 new inches of snow. 7 yesterday with 1.75 overnight for 8.75 total. Very weird event. Would have been a major storm had temps cooperated yesterday. More melted during the afternoon period from 12:00 to 5:00 than accumulated despite being under steady light to moderate snow all afternoon. The new almost 2 inches of snow was pure powder not like the first 7 of mash potatoes.

post-1187-0-62805700-1455100236_thumb.jp

The endless flizzard continues.  Snow has been falling for 24 hours now....have about an inch on the ground to show for it!  Radar was interesting last night to watch...lots of small vortices around the mid atlantic.  At one point, just in Washington County, there was an obvious rotation with the snow showers with HGR being in the "eye".

The endless flizzard continues. Snow has been falling for 24 hours now....have about an inch on the ground to show for it! Radar was interesting last night to watch...lots of small vortices around the mid atlantic. At one point, just in Washington County, there was an obvious rotation with the snow showers with HGR being in the "eye".

My area just northwest of HGR did well with 4.5". Driving back from work on 70, I saw some serious swings in total snow. South Mtn got hit good with at least 8" and I have a few pics to prove it. It snowed endlessly at my place yesterday once it finally started in the early morning hours. Nice 1.5" of fluff after the mashed potatoes from earlier. I'll take it no doubt.

Approaching 15" for the total event. Coming down nicely still. Been looking forward to a nice upslope event as this winter has been horrid out here.

Dang Jonjon that's awesome. Good to hear. I know out there is pretty reliant on snow for the winter economy. Hope this upcoming week can deliver more upslope. What are you at for the season out there?

Never stopped snowing all night and still is snowing lightly. Picked up over 3 inches since after 5 yesterday.

I was going to record 9 because my snow depth yesterday afternoon was 6" after several hours of compaction and melting so I figured it was likely 7" at that point, then picked up 3" from the overnight stuff.  Depth this morning was 8"

ETA:  elevation played a major role with the first round of snow.  During the afternoon I went down to the walmart 2.5 miles south of me and about 350 feet lower and there was a noticable difference in temperature and depth.  Car reading which I have found accurate spiked from 34 to 38 during the trip then back to 34 on the way back. 

My area just northwest of HGR did well with 4.5". Driving back from work on 70, I saw some serious swings in total snow. South Mtn got hit good with at least 8" and I have a few pics to prove it. It snowed endlessly at my place yesterday once it finally started in the early morning hours. Nice 1.5" of fluff after the mashed potatoes from earlier. I'll take it no doubt.

My elevation always haunts me on these marginal events.  We are the low point around the area...Little Antietam Creek runs through my backyard.   2 degrees colder would have made all the difference.

Approaching 15" for the total event. Coming down nicely still. Been looking forward to a nice upslope event as this winter has been horrid out here.

jonjon, are you the reporter at canaan mountain?  

Looks like an awesome event out there and NWS is talking about best snow-growth later tonight so after all is said and done storm totals are gonna be gaudy.  

I was going to record 9 because my snow depth yesterday afternoon was 6" after several hours of compaction and melting so I figured it was likely 7" at that point, then picked up 3" from the overnight stuff.  Depth this morning was 8"

ETA:  elevation played a major role with the first round of snow.  During the afternoon I went down to the walmart 2.5 miles south of me and about 350 feet lower and there was a noticable difference in temperature and depth.  Car reading which I have found accurate spiked from 34 to 38 during the trip then back to 34 on the way back. 

My snow depth yesterday afternoon was 5 but I measured 6 a couple hours before that. You're about 150 ft. higher than me so you probably were closer to 7. I measured slightly over 3 this morning of new snow. Decided to go with 8.5 for the final total but I would bet the highest elevation around the area got close to 10.

Looks like an awesome event out there and NWS is talking about best snow-growth later tonight so after all is said and done storm totals are gonna be gaudy.

No, I'm not the reporter on Canaan Mountain. I actually live in town.

Really rippin' out there now -- they are calling for 4-8" more, so we should top 20" for this event.

No, I'm not the reporter on Canaan Mountain. I actually live in town.

Really rippin' out there now -- they are calling for 4-8" more, so we should top 20" for this event.

Pretty amazing there wasn't a winter storm warning for tucker county.  An extended WWA doesn't seem sufficient for 18-24+ inches of snow or whatever you guys end up with.

Archived