joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs thread Part 2

mappy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics, wawarriors and Demeter! You guys were perfectly set up under that band, and looks like it's still going on.

ETA: Those blobs/bands farther north over Martinsburg and Westminster seem to be just sitting there, and the stuff over Martinsburg seems to be blowing up more.

To me, surprise snow is some of the best. I called out for the night. No way I'm going to drive to Richmond and miss this overnight, snow is serious business.

To me, surprise snow is some of the best. I called out for the night. No way I'm going to drive to Richmond and miss this overnight, snow is serious business.

Agree.  Especially when it's a surprise that originally looked like a total fail.  You ended up in a lucky spot with that one band that just keeps on going!  I wouldn't miss it either, if I were you, by driving back.

Nice little winter event. HGR reported snow in their obs for 16 straight hours. Pretty much the same story here with only a few heavier showers.

Melted 0.28" liquid a bit ago from today. Added close to 2" onto the snow pack. 1.4" on the board. About 1/2" on the street, most of it since just before sunset. High was 34 this morning. 29 now with flurries.

Light snow here once again. Thought it was over but the entire area is blossoming on radar. Cool to watch.

To wawarriors point, I too, would like for someone to explain the dynamics of the cause of it.

NWS has a good discussion, specifically the near term.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

ETA: The highlighted acronyms are worth exploring too.

Cool! So we can in the future get NAM'd in 3d with stereo surround sound, right in the privacy of your own home! I'll wait for the Jebman Wii shovel game to get a good workout too.

LMFAO!

I'll see if I can find a developer, lol.

Game would start by showing h500 maps, then show about 5 minutes of intense nuclear snow globbin' goodness, then you'd be standing in 30 inches of fresh powder and you'd start digging snow. LOL

NWS has a good discussion, specifically the near term.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

ETA: The highlighted acronyms are worth exploring too.

Thank you for posting! They made it sound more simple than I assumed. Luckily, I've been a weather weenie long enough to know the acronyms....just not skilled enough to understand the full dynamics sometimes. Shameful to say the least :)

Flurries are reaching the ground in Dale City! Its not too warm for this to accumulate, either. It is 29 degrees with a dewpoint of 18.

2am: Snow is picking up some. Top of car is whitening up.

At the risk of jumping the gun here, I think it just might be a good idea for the NWS to issue an advisory for up to an inch of snow. I'd imagine this might make for an interesting rush hour later this morning.

Central and Northern MD: Snow is developing over you as well and it is on the increase http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=lwx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

213am: Dews are coming up, we are 29/23, column is moistening up. Steady light snow. N wind is gusting at times.

226am: Top of the fence is white. Top of the car is white. The road is caving. My driveway is turning white. Light snow continues. Temp is 29, DP is 25.

Archived