• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
JoshM

February 2016 Banter

I know a lot of you guys are very knowledgeable in weather. Where do you guys get your weather knowledge from?

The newspaper or that 611 number, whatever it is...you know, the one that tells you the time and the weather. :)

The newspaper or that 611 number, whatever it is...you know, the one that tells you the time and the weather. :)

Thanks. Ill try it out. The airforce has an entire book of meteorological techniques. Not sure how good they are. Go to good and type in AF MAN TN 98. It should be the first link that pops up.

I'm optimistic for NW SC this time...will prob backfire on me though. Being this far out I like not being bulls eyed so to speak. A stronger High and colder temps throughout the column and low dew points have me encouraged!

Thanks. Ill try it out. The airforce has an entire book of meteorological techniques. Not sure how good they are. Go to good and type in AF MAN TN 98. It should be the first link that pops up.

I'll check it out. I learned a lot through just reading mostly internet sites, afds, blogs, AmWx, college, weather books, etc.

Are the models just flip flopping? As of this morning most models were signaling a moderate winter storm. I'm not cliff diving yet. I want to see what it looks like this time tomorrow before I jump. 

I know a lot of you guys are very knowledgeable in weather. Where do you guys get your weather knowledge from?

Glenn Burns by gawd!

Lol sorry Lookout couldn't help myself

WXGA-TV, channel 8 of Waycross, GA

Personally... a lot came from my days growing up watching Willard Scott up in the DC area, watching the old (AOPA)? (is that what is was???) forecasts on early morning Public TV, and my Dad's knack of tracking coastal storms and hurricanes back in the 60's & 70's. Got to listening to weather forecasts on scanners, before they became the robotic 'automated voice'. A big influence was Wally DeMaurice from the now defunct Cape Hatteras Weather Station. 10 years later, when that station was absorbed, the Internet came along. Over time, I picked and chose what weather sites I would look at and follow.

There are a LOT of good ones out there. I've decided on the sites I follow along with. My favorites might not be yours. I've kind of settled in in here, though. As many members as this forum/sub-forum has, I've actually only met one member, and that was long before we met here in an entirely different setting :)

I have no book knowledge of weather. I would guess that something you see posted here frequently ... "Read more, post less", still applies to me, although I've been following weather in earnest since the 60's. Back then, I even had to get a letter from the Weather Service written to my Catholic School teacher, Sr. Ann Dennis, that those long streaky clouds that you sometimes see were actually from passenger jets (decades before the chemtrail activists). To be honest, the Nun was actually impressed that I pursued it that far.

As just an interested weather enthusiast, I don't think you can ever stop learning. Yes, I often "read more, post less". I check out links others post. I try to decipher some of the discussions. I have my block of weather links that not only give me my local weather, but the weather in the surrounding areas.

I've pretty much locked in here (Americanwx.com) for my personal knowledge in the last several years, though. There are so many participants that cover the whole spectrum of the weather field.

I'm really glad and fortunate to have stumbled across this collection of misfits several years ago :D

Normally, I want a foot of snow but am OK with a little rain or it being dry with the Monday/Tuesday event for two reasons.

- I coach and we start mini camp Monday.

- Going to the dook game Wednesday and don't want Kay and the minions to have another excuse not to make the 7 mile.

Monday event has a really good chance here....I base that on nothing scientific, but because I have a flight to FL scheduled Tuesday morning. Our record with travel vs weather the last 5 years is pretty stellar.

Maybe SN_lover doesn't know where the Apps are on a map...that's my only logic as to him thinking this has trended into an apps runner.....or, maybe he thinks Apps runner means the Apps get the goods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe SN_lover doesn't know where the Apps are on a map...that's my only logic as to him thinking this has trended into an apps runner.....or, maybe he thinks Apps runner means the Apps get the goods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I got a chuckle out of that.