Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like J.Spin will be closing in on 2" soon. 

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Shocked! :)

Would call it a heavy dusting here, although its been a 7/10 split mostly here.  There maybe an inch or two in extreme SVT at higher el.

If you get under any of those 25dBZ+ bands, its definitely come down pretty heavily. Big flakes too as you can see at Sugarbush. 

Eentsy flakes in the air outside my Augusta office, and an earlier spell of more abundant tiny flakes lightened the color of the grass a bit.  1st precip of any kind in 11 days.  Odd precip regime this month, with 70% coming in the deluge, 20% in the 8.5" storm, 10% in the 3" storm, plus a stray hundredth here and there.  Another OTS today, some cutters next week then maybe back to OTS.

Lowest snow depth I've recorded here in February is several days at 5" in 2006, the winter without a 6" storm or a one-foot snowpack.  (I've gotten the 6"+ but pack has only reached 11" and currently stands at 8".)  Forecast points to that 5" minimum going down thanks to the midweek rain.  Without some kind of significant turnaround, this winter will establish a new low for days with 1"+ snow OG.  Current minimum is 86 days in both 99-00 and 11-12 and would need continuous cover through 3/20 to reach that figure.  3rd least is 107 days (twice), max is 150 last winter, and my avg is 121. 

Riding in Caribou up to fort Kent and heading toward allagash. Damn near mint. Better than expected.          

Folks in the St. John Valley know how to do snomo trails; they've been doing it well since before the ITS came into being.

Bet there is some ice in those cracks and crannies well into the warm weather months.  Ice stays in the Polar Caves year round.  They have to shovel and pick at the ice to get it opened after Memorial Day

Never heard of Huntington Gorge till now but  your post of its dark history intrigued me.  Almost 2 dozen deaths in the past half century.   I can see why!    

I've seen ice there in May but never thought it could last into fall. 

This winter sucks, lol. Maybe I'll have to take the Phantom out for a flight. Do you guys ever fly by FPV/goggles?

Bet there is some ice in those cracks and crannies well into the warm weather months. Ice stays in the Polar Caves year round. They have to shovel and pick at the ice to get it opened after Memorial Day

Never heard of Huntington Gorge till now but your post of its dark history intrigued me. Almost 2 dozen deaths in the past half century. I can see why! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCTKAs-FJxA

Wow that looks unsafe (and probably illegal)

There riding up north and have been for a month, Its this part of the state that has none, I see your user name is from NY but it says you live in Biddeford, Did you move up here?

Yeah, I still have a home in CNY, Syracuse area, but I recently was offered a position at a friend's Company so here I am. Definitely have to get used to Coastal Living as it's a world apart from Living SE of Lake Ontario! Consistent spray of snow off Ontario, although it does shut off from time to time but this tracking system after system hoping it tracks just right hasn't been a part of my daily routine in quite a while! When a CF comes through Syracuse you absolutely know it's gonna snow, so the difference is immense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Had 1.3" at home, 1.7" at 1,500ft base of the mountain, and groomers showing 3" at 3,000ft.

It is surprisingly dense snow, and looks like a lot of graupel type stuff on the snow surface.  Should ski pretty nice.  I noticed Jay Peak even said a "heavy 1-2 inches" so they must've gotten the same dense stuff. 

Had 1.3" at home, 1.7" at 1,500ft base of the mountain, and groomers showing 3" at 3,000ft.

It is surprisingly dense snow, and looks like a lot of graupel type stuff on the snow surface.  Should ski pretty nice.  I noticed Jay Peak even said a "heavy 1-2 inches" so they must've gotten the same dense stuff. 

Not so much, here.  Had 1.8" on 0.07" LE by 9 last night, most coming noon-5P, then another tenth on 0.01" overnight.  Despite the fluff character, near-32 temps allowed it to stick to twigs/needles - much has fallen overnight but it's still pretty. 

(Unfortunately, the 06 gfs is anything but, with the midweek rain, a clean miss Friday, and another cutter next week.  If it were to verify, yesterday's little event will have dropped more snow than the next 16 days combined.)

Not so much, here.  Had 1.8" on 0.07" LE by 9 last night, most coming noon-5P, then another tenth on 0.01" overnight.  Despite the fluff character, near-32 temps allowed it to stick to twigs/needles - much has fallen overnight but it's still pretty. 

(Unfortunately, the 06 gfs is anything but, with the midweek rain, a clean miss Friday, and another cutter next week.  If it were to verify, yesterday's little event will have dropped more snow than the next 16 days combined.)

The Euro is going with cutter, miss, weak disturbance, cutter .

Event totals: 2.1” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Snow accumulated pretty quickly at the house yesterday, presumably due to the large flakes I was seeing on the J&E Productions Live Web Cam, but I think with fairly marginal temperatures and an eventual change to much smaller, more granular flakes, much of the initial loft was lost under the latter accumulation.  I found 1.9” of snow on the boards at 7:00 P.M. yesterday evening, and between the earlier fluff and denser flakes later, the overall density of that stack came in at 7.4% H2O.  Another 0.2” of those smaller flakes fell subsequent to that, and the density of that accumulation was 10% H2O.  Details from the observations for this event are below

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.6

Snow Density: 7.4% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

I've seen ice there in May but never thought it could last into fall. 

This winter sucks, lol. Maybe I'll have to take the Phantom out for a flight. Do you guys ever fly by FPV/goggles?

Ive flown Fpv Once and it was amazing.

Im a big rc guy. I have about 10 aircraft total. 3 nitro and the rest electric. no drone yet though. Although I really want one for making off-roading videos and advertisements for my business.  

Archived