• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

As bad as it is up there, the snow here (Lowell) is gone, the ground is thawed and the daffodils are sprouting, I kid you not.

With this upcoming week being so warm and wet I seriously wonder if Winnipesaukee ever freezes over?

Sebago lake is wide open. Crazy. My buddy who has lived here 20+ years says he's never seen that happen. While the big section sometimes doesn't freeze, Jordon bay does, but not this year.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as it is up there, the snow here (Lowell) is gone, the ground is thawed and the daffodils are sprouting, I kid you not.

With this upcoming week being so warm and wet I seriously wonder if Winnipesaukee ever freezes over?

Going back in the records, I can't find a winter where this didn't happen (record since 1888).

But it's hard to tell how specific those records are. Ice out is said to be open navigation for the Mount Washington. Checking a few webcams, there is ice on the lake, but it's mostly in coves, and it's pretty thin/open in areas. So would this year qualify for an ice out date or not is the question.

Sebago is much more common to not freeze over (and also sports the longest record of ice out dates going back to 1807). There are at least 9 years with no complete ice cover, but a dozen others that had "no data" which could also mean there wasn't ice so a date wasn't recorded.

Sebago lake is wide open. Crazy. My buddy who has lived here 20+ years says he's never seen that happen. While the big section sometimes doesn't freeze, Jordon bay does, but not this year.

That's pretty amazing in itself right there that Jordon Bay is not frozen, I guess its derby cancel this year

Wankum showed a stat last night that this past December and January was the warmest on record in Boston. The others in the top 5 included 2002 when I hear Winne didn't freeze over completely, but yet they still had an official ice-out date in March or April. So this non-freeze may not be something that's never happened before. 

57.4/50 on my way to 60...

Going back in the records, I can't find a winter where this didn't happen (record since 1888).

But it's hard to tell how specific those records are. Ice out is said to be open navigation for the Mount Washington. Checking a few webcams, there is ice on the lake, but it's mostly in coves, and it's pretty thin/open in areas. So would this year qualify for an ice out date or not is the question.

Sebago is much more common to not freeze over (and also sports the longest record of ice out dates going back to 1807). There are at least 9 years with no complete ice cover, but a dozen others that had "no data" which could also mean there wasn't ice so a date wasn't recorded.

there have been a couple recent years when Winni didn't completely freeze over. maybe 11-12? i think 01-02 also.

it is hard to tell going by whether or not there was an official ice out, since they really only determine if the ports are accessible. 

Very good. South towards PI was junk. All else up to fort Kent and allagash were great

Did you get in to the Deboullie area?  The ponds and mts there are beautiful in winter.

January in the foothills, 2016:

Avg max:  29.8   +4.6

Avg min:  8.5    +5.4

Avg temp:  19.1   +5.0   4th mildest of 18.

Jan 1-11 was +6.0, 12-24 was -0.4, 25-31 was +12.2

The Dec-Jan avg of 24.40 squeaks by 01-02 (24.35) for #1 mildest.

Max temp:  47 on 10,11.  High min 27 on the 10th, high mean 37 that day was +22. 

Min temp was -12 on the 5th, low max 11 on the 19th, low mean 4, on 5th, 23rd.

Precip:  3.41"   +0.44"  Greatest calendar day:  2.29" on the 10th, an exact tie with 1-15-1999 for largest Jan rain. 

Snowfall:  13.9"  -5.5"   Greatest calendar day:  7.0" on the 13th.

there have been a couple recent years when Winni didn't completely freeze over. maybe 11-12? i think 01-02 also.

it is hard to tell going by whether or not there was an official ice out, since they really only determine if the ports are accessible. 

I mean since I've gotten to GYX I'm pretty sure we've had whole winters where The Broads remained ice-free on satellite images. 

But if traditional ice-outs dates were when the MW could run, then the coves makes sense.

Newfound Lake is 2/3 open.  Of the 1/3 that is frozen, most of that is very think dark ice that formed last week on that clear calm night.  Only the shallow bay at the foot of the lake has good ice with bobhouses.  There was one year back in the early 2000's that they say a small part never froze.  

Just came back from Bristol.  Car thermometer said 38F and the winds are calm. See Plymouth airport about 7 miles to my north in the valley is still 38F with calm wind.  When I left the house an hour ago is was 42F and calm. Now its 50F with a roaring wind through the trees.  Obviously broke the inversion.

I'll take that 6Z run for next week, please.  Have not seen the 12Z yet

The similarities to another strong El Nino in 1982-83 is fairly impressive.

I know some of us were joking about that winter because it was the only year with 0" snow depth on December 31st...but then this year put up a 0" spot on Christmas Day which is now second for all-time latest 0" reading at the stake. 

Anyway, fairly remarkable comparison to me.  The good news is that the second half had some good storms and a big meteorological "spring" snowfall season (March, April, May). 

So although 1982-83 was a rough winter, there was a fun period in March/April/May. 

I don't think we'd complain at the ski areas with several good storms mixed in between nickels and dimes.  Even these types of storms wouldn't save the winter, but it would at least make for a fun couple months.

Spring storms in 1983:

March 12-15...18"

March 28-29...15"

April 11-12...16"

April 17-21...26" (including 15" in 24 hours on the 17th)

May 9-10...16"

The similarities to another strong El Nino in 1982-83 is fairly impressive.

I know some of us were joking about that winter because it was the only year with 0" snow depth on December 31st...but then this year put up a 0" spot on Christmas Day which is now second for all-time latest 0" reading at the stake. 

Anyway, fairly remarkable comparison to me.  The good news is that the second half had some good storms and a big meteorological "spring" snowfall season (March, April, May). 

So although 1982-83 was a rough winter, there was a fun period in March/April/May. 

I don't think we'd complain at the ski areas with several good storms mixed in between nickels and dimes.  Even these types of storms wouldn't save the winter, but it would at least make for a fun couple months.

Spring storms in 1983:

March 12-15...18"

March 28-29...15"

April 11-12...16"

April 17-21...26" (including 15" in 24 hours on the 17th)

May 9-10...16"

attachicon.gif8283andtoday.png

Honestly, I have to say that if feb. was a repeat of jan, I'm not sure I'd want to see snow in March and April.....just let's get on to the nice warmth. 

That said, if we start to have something resembling winter in Feb. I'll be more willing to embrace a snowy March and April. 

Honestly, I have to say that if feb. was a repeat of jan, I'm not sure I'd want to see snow in March and April.....just let's get on to the nice warmth. 

That said, if we start to have something resembling winter in Feb. I'll be more willing to embrace a snowy March and April. 

That's pretty much the sentiment at the ski area.  Everyone is figuring it'll get real snowy right when we don't want it at the end of the season...probably just enough cold and snow in the spring to delay summer construction projects, maintenance, and summer activities.  Also enough to make sure the hiking trails are muddy into June or something. 

The sentiment among a lot of skiers up here is pretty similar... if we have to suffer through another month of "meh" then lets wrap it up and pack in it and move onto mountain biking.

And one winter storm warning event of 9" won't be a "turn around" lol.

Archived