• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

I think its roughly 50" at the Co-Op bucket on the summit...and I've got 74" measuring a sheltered snow board at 3,000ft

Ok good I'm glad your beating me by a good amount. Good ole upslope. I am however beating the southern greens which is just insane and has to be a 1 in 10000 event this far in to the winter

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok good I'm glad your beating me by a good amount. Good ole upslope. I am however beating the southern greens which is just insane and has to be a 1 in 10000 event this far in to the winter

Yeah you are better off skinning bald hill right now.

I wouldn't go that far. It's not like ENE's had feet and feet of snow...  

For western areas the scarring goes back several seasons now. 

Relative to normal, ENE is doing a lot better, as well as very southern New England.  But that's also a product of lower averages and even getting 1 or 2 decent hits gets them closer to average than those of us who average 100-120"+.  A 9" event in Boston will get you a lot more percentage points towardes normal than a 9" event in the northern Greens.

That is appalling. You would think that there has to be some sort of catch up before April. E SNE just keeps finding ways to snow, it's really amazing. I'm so gun shy about misses that I was actually a bit shocked to get snow this morning.

Watch this, it was filmed last year at this same time in February in the Notch. 

Awesome shots, Jeremy.  That's good stuff.

Hopefully folks realize how abnormal that is to see any bare ground at 2,000ft in the Notch, at what is likely in the top 3 snowiest locations in the state and possibly top 5 in NNE.  The notch between Mansfield and Smuggs just fills with snow, so much orographic lift and also moisture trying to squeeze through between the walls of the Spine.

Where else, besides Jay/Hazens Notch area would fall into the top 3-5?

Anyway,

Yeah, pretty shocked by the pics. Don't recall the notch ever looking that low, or even bare, in February. Even after a crap stretch with a week of rain and 50-60F temps- there's still a couple feet of snow on everything this time of year. Don't recall there ever being a year where you couldn't ski around the notch by late January. Sometimes December/Early January looks bleak- but enough snow falls to allow for it come late January/early February.

We need a 2 foot nor'easter now to get to that point.

It's pretty impressive, really. We're getting "Tahoe'd"

It can only get better. 

Anyway,

Yeah, pretty shocked by the pics. Don't recall the notch ever looking that low, or even bare, in February. Even after a crap stretch with a week of rain and 50-60F temps- there's still a couple feet of snow on everything this time of year. Don't recall there ever being a year where you couldn't ski around the notch by late January. Sometimes December/Early January looks bleak- but enough snow falls to allow for it come late January/early February.

It can only get better. 

I hope so. As of now the models are all misses with the big tickets. 

Anyway,

It can only get better.

That Eden - Lowell stretch high up could be right up there. I'm not so sure that high up in the Knox Range doesn't usually get right up there too. The snowmobile trails over the mountains from the Barre area to Groton go up over 2000' in elevation and I have seen 5' on the ground up there. Of course I don't have any real stats, it's all anecdotal but because they are set away from the spine and are far enough east to catch snow that a good portion of the state is on the fringes for, they do really well.

Awesome shots, Jeremy.  That's good stuff.

Hopefully folks realize how abnormal that is to see any bare ground at 2,000ft in the Notch, at what is likely in the top 3 snowiest locations in the state and possibly top 5 in NNE.  The notch between Mansfield and Smuggs just fills with snow, so much orographic lift and also moisture trying to squeeze through between the walls of the Spine.

Not just that but wind loading too. Those steep rock gullies should be full right now and packed wall to wall with snow. 

Really just an amazing year to witness. 

It is almost comical to watch next week's storm system unfold on the models. Rarely have I ever seen two lows SPLIT the northeast like these are progged to do. 

And honestly, we need much more than a 2' nor'easter to get anything going. We need one of those 40" stretches where it snows 12" then 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 8, 5....and so on....But that ain't happening in this year where every passing storm gets a huge injection of southwest flow and warm air.  

Ok, thanks. Im on my phone most of the time and can't see sigs.

I agree, putrid even with those events you have had. 4.3 has been my 1 storm max. Some in ALB low elevations haven't had that all season. Awful.

It's been truly remarkable how big storms have not produced W of CT River in recent years.

I don't really buy into the "we are due" argument either. Could be a longer term pattern.

Losing my new 1" snowcover.   Last year I snowblowed a path from the driveway to the oil tank.  This spring the grass in that path was all dead but the other grass was fine.   I asked my lawn guy,  the guy that hydroseeded my new lawn 3 years ago.  He said the worst thing for a lawn is to have it exposed to bitter cold.  Snowcover of course acts as a blanket.  I hope we don't have bare ground going into the temps the Euro is predicting.  Hopefully something will produce for protective coverage.

It's been truly remarkable how big storms have not produced W of CT River in recent years.

I don't really buy into the "we are due" argument either. Could be a longer term pattern.

i am beginning to think youre right...even out in model fantasy land there are far more solutions that seem to deliver for the coast, something going on in the atmosphere that may well be beyond the comprehension of the best human scientific mind

Depends on what you are talking about in terms of longer term pattern... I think we've been screwed by the cutters, not the ones that have tracked way off shore hitting the eastern sections.  If we had a -NAO the past couple years, a lot of those cutters never would've happened and instead they would've been forced out under us or at least across SNE. 

Yea, it's hard to say how long this "cycle" will last. This is only my second winter in NE, most of you guys have lived here most, if not all of your lives, so you have lived the ups and downs more than me. There has obviously been a noticeable shift towards the CP. The biggest losers being ALB over toward Ithaca, Binghamton down towards State College that past decade plus.

Honestly for me, I liked last year. 100"+ in a season was only a pipe dream from where i came from, so even with the fringe jobs last year, i still enjoyed it. It was frustrating at times being fringed storm after storm with -SN while it's S+ to the east. Obviously it gets more frustrating every year that it happens.

Depends on what you are talking about in terms of longer term pattern... I think we've been screwed by the cutters, not the ones that have tracked way off shore hitting the eastern sections. If we had a -NAO the past couple years, a lot of those cutters never would've happened and instead they would've been forced out under us or at least across SNE.

Yea, you and Will had nice convo about that the other day, at first glance you think the -NAO is bad for NNE because you think of those 40/70 storms that rake the CP,but like you said, it helps with the cutters that can get forced into an overrunning snow/mix event instead of 1.5" of rain.

Yea, you and Will had nice convo about that the other day, at first glance you think the -NAO is bad for NNE because you think of those 40/70 storms that rake the CP,but like you said, it helps with the cutters that can get forced into an overrunning snow/mix event instead of 1.5" of rain.

Basically I look at it like the past couple years have been on the warm ENSO, relying on the Pacific pattern, -EPO, etc and a +NAO.  I wouldn't say its a long term trend, we just need to mix it up a bit.  Try it with a La Nina and see what happens, or a -NAO in this same pattern.

We've had two jets that just have been out of sync for us locally.  The southern jet has just been going straight out to sea, no big negatively tilted trough ripping a low due north up the beaches.  So that's given good snows to the coastal plain... then the northern jet has been north of us most of this winter, with even the clippers staying above us (so we can't even nickel and dime).  If the northern stream is amped or phases with the southern stream, the storm rips up the St Lawrence Valley.  Its been snowy north of Montreal and in Quebec north of that storm track. 

I just think the way its been setting up, we are sandwiched between the two possibilities.  1) A storm cuts west and everyone in the northeast rains while Quebec snows.  2) Southern stream lows develop in the cold air on the backside of our cutters, and it snows near the coast and in the big cities.

We need a big change-up to shake out of this right now, but I think this is sort of the flavor of the winter if you will...and we are just going to find ourselves in the wrong place relative to the mean jet placements.  This year if we had a -NAO, we'd probably cash in on those northern stream clippers and also the cutters.  If we had a -NAO, that southern stream might actually have been even further south, not giving New England much action at all, but we'd have good luck I bet with all the events that have rained so far.  Also would've given us a better chance for a big phased east coast event.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

We did pick up a transient fluffy tenth of an inch in some of today’s snowfall – it looks like it was from convective snow showers that the BTV NWS said would be affecting the mountains in the afternoon.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Wow, it is snowing lightly out there this morning and the exciting news is that over the last 24 hours the 3,000ft snow board has accumulated 1.0" of snow!  Only a few tenths at the base.

Now, don't go expecting a huge powder day out of the 0-1" (base-summit) report, because well, the first half inch fell during the day yesterday and then another 6 hours of flurries has given 3,000ft another half inch overnight. 

But this is the largest snowfall in a week and our second largest snowfall in like 12 days...so this is pretty exciting.

Wow, it is snowing lightly out there this morning and the exciting news is that over the last 24 hours the 3,000ft snow board has accumulated 1.0" of snow!  Only a few tenths at the base.

Now, don't go expecting a huge powder day out of the 0-1" (base-summit) report, because well, the first half inch fell during the day yesterday and then another 6 hours of flurries has given 3,000ft another half inch overnight. 

But this is the largest snowfall in a week and our second largest snowfall in like 12 days...so this is pretty exciting.

Chucklin' to this while watchin' the flurries. It's really comin' down out there.

Archived