joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look like we have the chance for at least a few inches Mon-Thurs.

It'll be like watching paint dry but a lot of the models have 5-day totals of around .3-.5" QPF. Hopefully we can get that to accumulate to half a foot or so.

If we can grab 6" (lol) I can shave my hideous pseudo-beard!

Better than nothing

Winter Weather AdvisoryURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
310 PM EST SUN FEB 7 2016

...LONG DURATION SNOWFALL EXPECTED MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...
LOW PRESSURE PASSING BY OFFSHORE COMBINED WITH AN UPPER LEVEL LOW
MOVING IN FROM THE WEST WILL BRING WIDESPREAD LIGHT SNOW TO
NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND MONDAY INTO TUESDAY. ALTHOUGH SNOW INTENSITY
IS EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT... TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THE 24
HOUR PERIOD WILL BE MODERATE FOR MOST AREAS WITH HEAVIER AMOUNTS
POSSIBLE NEAR THE COAST. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BE A LIGHT AND
FLUFFY SNOW WHICH WILL BE EASILY BLOWN AROUND BY THE WIND. HIGHEST
WIND SPEEDS WILL BE CLOSER TO THE COASTLINE.

NHZ003>009-011-080415-
/O.NEW.KGYX.WW.Y.0007.160208T1100Z-160209T1100Z/
NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-
SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-CHESHIRE NH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LITTLETON...NORTH CONWAY...LEBANON...
HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO...OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...
CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...JAFFREY...
KEENE
310 PM EST SUN FEB 7 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO 6 AM EST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO 6 AM
EST TUESDAY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW BEGINS FROM SOUTH TO NORTH MONDAY MORNING AND
CONTINUES INTO MONDAY NIGHT. SOME LIGHT SNOW COULD LINGER INTO
TUESDAY BUT MUCH OF THE ACCUMULATION WILL BE OVER BY TUESDAY
MORNING.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. STRONG
WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND COULD LEAD TO
LOW VISIBILITY IN SPOTS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE TEENS AND LOW 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW
COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

$

Safe to assume there is an issue with the zones this afternoon... I'm thinking on Thursday and Thursday night it'll be hard to rain with highs around 20F and lows around 0F.  But this winter you never know ;)

Tuesday Night
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Lows around 19. Light and variable winds.
Wednesday And Wednesday Night
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Highs around 30. Lows 15 to 20.
Thursday
Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain showers. Highs around 20.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Lows around zero.
Friday
Partly sunny. Highs 10 to 15.

Safe to assume there is an issue with the zones this afternoon... I'm thinking on Thursday and Thursday night it'll be hard to rain with highs around 20F and lows around 0F. But this winter you never know ;)

Tuesday Night

Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Lows around 19. Light and variable winds.

Wednesday And Wednesday Night

Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Highs around 30. Lows 15 to 20.

Thursday

Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain showers. Highs around 20.

Thursday Night

Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Lows around zero.

Friday

Partly sunny. Highs 10 to 15.

Oh, you can bet your sweet bippy if that was possible it would happen this year.

ALB is probably going to achieve a full 365 days without a 2" snowstorm.  They also might achieve <12" snow TOTAL for a year.  That's less than ORH received on Friday.  We just have to make it to Feb. 15, one more week!  There is bare ground up past 2000ft here in the Taconics.  People are trading their snow mobiles for loaves of bread.  It's bad.

This is the worse winter I could ever imagine.  And it's also been absurdly warm.  Since December we're +13.3, +5.1, +15.5 (through yesterday).

ALB is probably going to achieve a full 365 days without a 2" snowstorm.  They also might achieve <12" snow TOTAL for a year.  That's less than ORH received on Friday.  We just have to make it to Feb. 15, one more week!  There is bare ground up past 2000ft here in the Taconics.  People are trading their snow mobiles for loaves of bead.  It's bad.

This is the worse winter I could ever imagine.  And it's also been absurdly warm.  Since December we're +13.3, +5.1, +15.5 (through yesterday).

That is absolutely stunning.  Thanks for the stats.  That's some real ratter stuff.

ALB is probably going to achieve a full 365 days without a 2" snowstorm.  They also might achieve <12" snow TOTAL for a year.  That's less than ORH received on Friday.  We just have to make it to Feb. 15, one more week!  There is bare ground up past 2000ft here in the Taconics.  People are trading their snow mobiles for loaves of bead.  It's bad.

thats insane, i remember as a kid always being jealous of albany for always getting good snows...not crippling snows but 8 to 12 inch events were relatively common and sometimes more up there...i remember too of course the back to back big snows in late 02-03 for them...that had to be the best

That is absolutely stunning.  Thanks for the stats.  That's some real ratter stuff.

Historically, Albany is a relatively snowy city.  It's not Nashville, or Richmond, or even Philadelphia.  It doesn't usually get completely shut out because it's far enough north to pick up clipper snow, SWFE snow, or changeover wraparound snow, and far enough south to occasionally get into synoptic coastal snow.

Historically, Albany is a relatively snowy city.  It's not Nashville, or Richmond, or even Philadelphia.  It doesn't usually get completely shut out because it's far enough north to pick up clipper snow, SWFE snow, or changeover wraparound snow, and far enough south to occasionally get into synoptic coastal snow.

Hey I'm well aware...I grew up in Delmar which borders the City of Albany to the SW.  We did just fine in snow.  My last year living there we had almost 50" in 10 days between 12/25/02-1/4/03. 

It does snow there.  ALB's average at 200ft is only like a half foot from ORH's average at 1,000ft.

Lost most of my snowcover today.....but having a drone shows a different story.  Looking out my window onto my pastures it looks like 30% snowcover left.  See first picture.  Flying higher and looking straight down shows my "weenie" patch of grass but the general area does have snowcover although very thin.

Glad I'm not living in Boston sitting on the edge.  Storms missing by such a wide right I don't even have to follow them.  I'll take my couple or few inches and run with that!!

post-268-0-16187500-1454883638_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-44369900-1454883645_thumb.jpg

Wow, it is snowing lightly out there this morning and the exciting news is that over the last 24 hours the 3,000ft snow board has accumulated 1.0" of snow!  Only a few tenths at the base.

Now, don't go expecting a huge powder day out of the 0-1" (base-summit) report, because well, the first half inch fell during the day yesterday and then another 6 hours of flurries has given 3,000ft another half inch overnight.

But this is the largest snowfall in a week and our second largest snowfall in like 12 days...so this is pretty exciting.

In general, ski conditions are just incredibly poor for this time of year, but I’ve got to say one bright spot today on Mt. Mansfield was that area from ~3,000’ on up below the Cliff House.  There’s no doubt that the area below The Chin had accumulated significantly more natural snow than over by the Fourrunner Quad at equivalent elevations.  I found about 4” of natural snow there, and even jumping off piste a bit was a real treat.  That area of the mountain simply reels in the snow and it’s hard to keep it down even in the worst of times – it would have been fun to have a lift serving that section of the mountain for laps this afternoon.  I’ve added a couple of shots from today’s ski trip report below; hopefully this week’s snows will step things up even a bit more by next week.

07FEB16A.jpg

07FEB16B.jpg

James on the Cape has 26" this year. I mean, come on.

I haven't looked at the Snow Table, but I think that's right about where Freak is at Stowe village.

Luckily I think after this week we may be able to nickle and dime our way to #2 or #3 worst in the snow depth department to get us out of the 60-year basement we are in right now.  We should be able to pass a winter or two from the late 1950s.  Definitely by March 1st there's a 1950s winter that tanks low unless we have a big melt.

Here's where we stand:

1) 60 years of snow depth data at the same stake and the entire first week of February 2016 is now the all-time worst/lowest snow depth for this time of year.

2) All-time lowest snow depth days through February 6th. 

3) Still the only winter in 60 years not to at least hit 30" depth once (old record was January 25th for latest 30" reading). 

4) I have to double check this one, but I believe we have had the highest average maximum temperature between 11/1 and 2/1 in 60 years.

when things are really bad, I check out snowforecast.com to amuse myself.  they have SB getting 10-18" through saturday.  so i got that going for me, which is nice.

seriously, someone please have some good news for a change...

Check back next winter and we might have some.

when things are really bad, I check out snowforecast.com to amuse myself.  they have SB getting 10-18" through saturday.  so i got that going for me, which is nice.

seriously, someone please have some good news for a change...

I still think its coming at some point, at least for the mountains.  Even to get up to futility we need to double our seasonal snowfall, haha.

I believe in the statistics of it and law of averages...something has to happen. 

Archived