SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can Lake Champlain make Lake Effect Snow?

Sometimes.  There was an all-day lake effect dusting in Burlington this year. Just snowed lightly all day off the warm lake- pretty unusual for Burlington and westerly winds. It's usually more confined to south of Burlington towards charlotte Vergennes with NNW winds and enough fetch over the lake.

Event totals: 5.1” Snow/0.18” L.E.

Snow accumulated to 0.2” during the day today, and boy did the bottom drop out in terms of temperature.  The snow is certainly being preserved for now.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 6.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

This link (a study from 2000) provides some examples of Lake Champlain as a snow making/enhancing mechanism.

From my understanding, true lake effect snow from Champlain results in a band over far southern Chittenden County into and through Addison County. I don't think there are other wind directions that can produce true lake effect other than NNW or N.   

The radar today seemed like there was lake effect from Champlain

Didn't look. But there was a day earlier this winter, one of the coldest, where it just snowed in Burlington proper all day on a pretty light westerly wind. The lake was still in the 40's if I recall.  

A really light snow, the cloud just sorta hovered over the town. Wasn't snowing down by the waterfront nearly as much (maybe 1/2" total) but up by the Hospital/UVM it was over 2" when done. It just sorta sat there all day- a bit eerie look outside. Low level stuff. Very cool.

This link (a study from 2000) provides some examples of Lake Champlain as a snow making/enhancing mechanism.

From my understanding, true lake effect snow from Champlain results in a band over far southern Chittenden County into and through Addison County. I don't think there are other wind directions that can produce true lake effect other than NNW or N.   

It reminds me of this event I was in Tahoe for:

https://ams.confex.com/ams/WAF-NWP-MESO/techprogram/paper_22957.htm

That one seemed to really surprise the locals.

When the right conditions occur, lake effect may produce big time in unusual areas.

I saved a loop awhile back from a streamer that seemed to get a little extra enhancement over Lake Winni. The lake doesn't have enough of a trajectory to produce any organized bands itself, but a little enhancement wouldn't totally surprise me. I've heard of Alton and Wolfeboro squeezing out some flakes out of NW flow.

-3f here. Finest confectionare sugar snow at the house. Maybe 2" otg. Squeaky.

I've seen that before, where we get a few inches of dust away from the mtn and there 12-18" of pure blower at elevation.

From my decidedly unscientific observations over the years, the chaimplain induced snow is really light, blower, as my people say. I'd bet the ratios are much higher than 25:1. More like 40:1.

Next week storms reminds me of two events. (I'll work on digging them out). 

One I know of was in 2010 that saw the 0z 850mb line hover right along I-87.  Brough about 12" of snow to Mansfield with like 2.5" of water or something. Over in the ADK it had like 24-30" of snow. 

The other was in March 2011 or there about. Similar situation.  

My gut says that the ADK is just high enough to see really heavy snow from about 3500ft to 5k. While VT and points east sit a little too low.  But WTF to do I know. 

That said, there is a special place in hell for a rain storm following -20C air. 

Next week storms reminds me of two events. (I'll work on digging them out). 

One I know of was in 2010 that saw the 0z 850mb line hover right along I-87.  Brough about 12" of snow to Mansfield with like 2.5" of water or something. Over in the ADK it had like 24-30" of snow. 

The other was in March 2011 or there about. Similar situation.  

My gut says that the ADK is just high enough to see really heavy snow from about 3500ft to 5k. While VT and points east sit a little too low.  But WTF to do I know. 

That said, there is a special place in hell for a rain storm following -20C air.

I remember this too. I left my house in the Hrv where it was snowing hard, went east 10-15 miles to heavy rain the whole way up on 91/89, cut back west where it was heavy snow in the greens. We did well. I'd sign for that right now. Can't deal with rain. No sir. Not now.

Event totals: 5.4” Snow/0.21” L.E.

This round of observations marks the end of this event, so final totals are above.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -5.1 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Archived