joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That squall to my north looks even better now. Just like lake effect... A neat low rolling cloud. Today's time lapse should be good.

Check the 3 hr timelapse http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.info/photos-cams/23-weirs-beach-channel-cam

Nice. I like the wave look at the end to that small mid level cloud. We need a day with some epic lenticulars for the lapses.

We had a bunch of weak squalls move through this afternoon. Only calling it 0.1" on the day though.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/northfield-nh/1-sky-cam-4hr-timelapse.htm

3/-12

Temperature is really falling rapidly now.   -1.2F    Mountain ridges are just kind of hazy, I don't see anymore flurries just an arctic type haze that has been slowly lowering the vis.  Diamond dust?  Curious to see what the 18Z GFS does.

Yeah its like arctic mist or something.  Smallest crystals ever.

MVL up here has been reporting UP and HZ all day, earlier this afternoon visibility was between 1.5sm and 3.0sm in unknown precipitation.  Nothing was falling, just ice crystals in the air like an arctic circle day.

Well GFS is caving to the Euro.  I would guess we will get a couple/few inches on the front end and then a changeover to some sort.  If the storm track is over Vermont then I would guess we stay cold at the surface and end up with a net gain.  GFS has gone from a strong storm to basically a wave and now back to a strong storm.  984mb in NNE.   Some good back side wind?

I went just a short time ago to Oakledge Park in BTV to catch the steam fog and rimed trees on the lake (no steam devils this morning but possibly again later) for some shots. It was brutal down there with still rather strong winds. I quickly had minor frostbite on my pinky on my right hand. Everything is coated in arctic dust that fell overnight.

I went just a short time ago to Oakledge Park in BTV to catch the steam fog and rimed trees on the lake (no steam devils this morning but possibly again later) for some shots. It was brutal down there with still rather strong winds. I quickly had minor frostbite on my pinky on my right hand.

I'd cut off my pinkie for Snow on Tuesday. What are we looking at on the mtn? An inch of rain?

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I was figuring last night’s snowfall was just that arctic dust that simply falls out of the sky sometimes because the air is just too cold to hold it, but a look at the BTV NWS forecast discussion suggests that it was a bit of lake-effect from Lake Champlain due to the super cold air heading over the 35 F degree lake:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

623 PM EST SAT FEB 13 2016

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 623 PM EST SATURDAY...SOME SCATTERED LIGHT SNOW SHOWER/FLURRY ACTIVITY CONTINUES ACROSS THE EASTERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND INTO PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GREENS, LARGELY IN PART TO LAKE EFFECT MOISTURE FROM LAKE CHAMPLAIN. SPEAKING OF THE LAKE, AN INTERESTING PHENOMENON IS ONGOING WHERE VERY COLD AIR STREAMING OVER THE 35 DEGREE LAKE WATERS (DELTA T VALUES NEAR 50 DEGREES) IS CAUSING EXREME LATENT UPWARD HEAT FLUXES AND LAKE- INDUCED INSTABILILTY ON THE ORDER OF 1200 J/KG. WOW! THIS IS ALLOWING NUMEROUS STEAM DEVILS AND STEAM FOG TO FORM OVER THE LAKE SURFACE PER OBSERVATIONAL DATA AND AREA WEB CAMS. VISIBILITIES HAVE DROPPED OCCAIONALLY BELOW 1 MILE OVER THE WATER AND ALONG THE IMMEDIATE SHORELINE AREAS DUE TO THIS PROCESS. HAVE A GREAT EVENING AND STAY WARM.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: -16.4 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Every single long range 240hr+ hour total snow accumulation chart for every single model run since Nov. 1 has been overdone.

Except the ones that showed no accumulation.

Haha yup. I've never seen so many snow maps fail as this year. It's like the models know the climo and are saying yes it should be snowing in these areas...and then it doesn't.

Same here. Feel totally deflated today. Probably going to go home, lick my wounds and go to work the rest of the week. Damn this winter to hell.

And then, depression set in... going out for a few runs. Looks too pretty to stay in. I feel bad for all the local businesses. If the die hards are moving on, then this season is shot. Tuesday's miss is a dagger. In years past, we were saved by president's week snow bombs but this year we get an inch or more of r@in. The pain....stop the pain....i hope we dont get a raging neg.nao in April and May, leading to useless snow and delayed spring.

Archived