• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

klw suggested a new NNE winter thread, as the first one was over 1500 posts long and we need some juju to get this winter rolling along.  I did not name it part II because we really haven't had a part I yet this winter.  Anyway, hopefully the one small act of starting a new discussion thread will kick start what is quickly becoming a spectacular fail of a winter.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

klw suggested a new NNE winter thread, as the first one was over 1500 posts long and we need some juju to get this winter rolling along. I did not name it part II because we really haven't had a part I yet this winter. Anyway, hopefully the one small act of starting a new discussion thread will kick start what is quickly becoming a spectacular fail of a winter.

How about NNE winter- take two?

Damn that other thread to hell. Good riddance.

Big big 2nd half incoming.

Monday looks mild (40F), Tuesday a little cooler (30s), then Wednesday is warm (40-47F) with what looks like an inch of rain. Thursday and Friday colder.

Will be interesting but looking like a punt next week for snowfall.

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with someone this morning about the "big storm" for Wednesday.

She had heard it on the Weather Channel, to which I explained I think she meant big storm for the Midwest. She said they mentioned New England specifically. So then I had to explain how it's possible to get a rainstorm in February.

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with someone this morning about the "big storm" for Wednesday.

She had heard it on the Weather Channel, to which I explained I think she meant big storm for the Midwest. She said they mentioned New England specifically. So then I had to explain how it's possible to get a rainstorm in February.

:lol:

I've had folks asking about it today too. They heard storm next week and assumed snow.

Yes, that is disappointing.  This would have been the first year my son could ride on the trails on his own sled.  Who knows, maybe we'll get a couple of weeks in after next week.

Its not good up here, Even up north, Lot of open water, Bogs unfrozen, Water bars in the trails, Thin base, One of the main trails crossing Moosehead lake is wide open

Since there is so little going on weather wise  I'll pose a question to you mets or people in the know.  During the summer there have been countless times that I miss really heavy thunderstorms.  They seem more severe just south of me or up in Plymouth which is one town north of me.  I have been trying to figure out why oris it  just bad  luck.  I think I have possibly figured it out.  Newfound Lake is just west of me.  Its 7 miles long and about 1 mile wide at its widest.  I realized that with a west wind or wnw upper  level winds the cool lake in the summer might aid in the weakening of the storm.  Maybe wishful thinking since surface winds are usually sw and not wnw during summer storms.  Took this picture from the drone directly over my house looking due west.  Would this amount of water  (lake temps usually in the low 70's in summer) make a difference with thunderstorms?  Would the lake make it slightly warmer at my location in fall and early winter before lake freeze over?  PF, this is also a  good picture of the NH highlands to my west which helps protect me from any left over moisture that made it over the Greens.   Just things to ponder....  Thanks  Gene

post-268-0-25431600-1454003179_thumb.jpg

I bought some ice-fishing gear this year, but the ice, well, it's just not trustworthy.  The look-ahead for the next 10 days is homely, no two ways about it.

Newfound Lake finally "caught" last night and a thin ice film covered most of the lake this AM.  It's going to have a hard time thickening.  The southern bay which is 40 feet deep is frozen enough for bobhouses.  Last weekend a friend who ice fishes says it was a "zoo" with everyone that normally ice fishes is confined to a small safe area.

Par for the course for the first year where I spend more time in NNE than SNE (not that SNE is doing any better). I was SO excited to see the storms roll in from my location perched up at 1200 feet... but heck, I still love it up here, no matter what the weather brings. 

So its all your fault!  :devilsmiley:

Archived