Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's like Jackman to Caribou doing?  Sounds like you have to go pretty far north to find something worth riding.

Jackman is better the Caribou i believe right now, The best snow is in the NW part of the state, I mean its not excellent conditions, But i spoke to a buddy of mine in Eustis and he says the riding is good heading towards the Canadien border

I have been all over VT but I have never been to Huntington Gorge.  Just too many bad endings to even think about swimming there so I have just never found a reason to go.  Beautiful pics though.

It is a beautiful spot even if it hides a dark history. I would never swim there that is for sure.

A strong cutter is good for the soul....find the silver linings....salt gets washed off the car and the damaging drought we've been in will be aided.

Might as well keep the current protocol.  Since Dec. 1 I've had 9.15" precip, which is about 120% of my avg.  Unfortunately, 6.70" (73%) has come as rain, a bit higher than that if one includes the bits of zr during that period.  That's by far the most D-J rain I've recorded in my almost 18 years here.  Why not add February to the picture?

Might as well keep the current protocol.  Since Dec. 1 I've had 9.15" precip, which is about 120% of my avg.  Unfortunately, 6.70" (73%) has come as rain, a bit higher than that if one includes the bits of zr during that period.  That's by far the most D-J rain I've recorded in my almost 18 years here.  Why not add February to the picture?

That's the spirit...try for rainfall records. Like I said before, that will really help the crippling drought we've all been suffering through since last summer.

It is a beautiful spot even if it hides a dark history. I would never swim there that is for sure.

Bet there is some ice in those cracks and crannies well into the warm weather months.  Ice stays in the Polar Caves year round.  They have to shovel and pick at the ice to get it opened after Memorial Day

Never heard of Huntington Gorge till now but  your post of its dark history intrigued me.  Almost 2 dozen deaths in the past half century.   I can see why!    

Bet there is some ice in those cracks and crannies well into the warm weather months.  Ice stays in the Polar Caves year round.  They have to shovel and pick at the ice to get it opened after Memorial Day

Never heard of Huntington Gorge till now but  your post of its dark history intrigued me.  Almost 2 dozen deaths in the past half century.   I can see why!    

Yeah it is a slot canyon with deadly currents underwater. Sometimes the bodies are never recovered. 

In the recent past, tasked with bringing a bunch of college age kids around the gorge for some educational stuff... always have to emphasize how virtually all of the people have bit the dust there are considerably young (under 30, mostly 16-25).

However, included in those deaths- a VT state police dive team member. Backstory, IIRC, the state police dive team was sent in to recover the body of a teenage/college age kid that was pinned in the hydraulic. The water was still high, but there was pressure from the family to retrieve the body. Politics won over. The dive team was roped and bolted into the rock as I understand it... and the forces were still too much and the diver never made it out.  

It's pretty much assumed at Huntington Gorge that, given a few years, some (usually young) person will make a fatal decision.

In the recent past, tasked with bringing a bunch of college age kids around the gorge for some educational stuff... always have to emphasize how virtually all of the people have bit the dust there are considerably young (under 30, mostly 16-25).

However, included in those deaths- a VT state police dive team member. Backstory, IIRC, the state police dive team was sent in to recover the body of a teenage/college age kid that was pinned in the hydraulic. The water was still high, but there was pressure from the family to retrieve the body. Politics won over. The dive team was roped and bolted into the rock as I understand it... and the forces were still too much and the diver never made it out.

It's pretty much assumed at Huntington Gorge that, given a few years, some (usually young) person will make a fatal decision.

That's pretty much it. His name was Sgt. Gary Gadboury. I think it was in 1991 or 1992. It amazes me that people still tempt fate there. It seems like someone dies there more often than every few years. Another swimming hole in that area called the Bolton potholes that have claimed several people as well.

Just trying to figure out how this system is going to attack a Southern Canadian barrage of

HP's all along the border, and still manage not to slide/cut underneath, but I must be missing something here.  Even a redevelopment scenario is off the table it seems.  Crazy that its still 6 days out and its being called a lock but we all know about the lock of cutters vs a lock for a MECS is a completely different scenario.  A cutter can be modeled successfully 6 days out because of the coverage of land that it has to work wit for a system to cut.

if I cant post these images i apologize and it wont be done again!

ecmwf_mslp_noram_20.png

moving this from the model thread:

So CON has a 20% chance to get above of 40" of seasonal snowfall when it ends January with a foot of cumulative snow?

Ginxy loves these stats  ;)

Yeah, so i wish i had taken a screen shot of the graphic, but that was the gist of it. 

So you're saying there's a chance....

Archived