• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Cool pic, Something about the colors makes it look like an artist's rendering or something.. 

I'm playing around with a new polarizing filter, and then figuring out how to use that as well as its impacts on the post-processing.

I'm not a fan that the sky was different shades of blue from left to right, but the filter really took all the bright glare out of the picture of harsh sunlight and brought out the colors, especially the blue in the sky and the wood look of the new buildings in the Spruce base area.

I've got more to play with but I was really surprised at the colors without the whitewash of bright sunlight.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another stat to add to this lovely winter will be the fact that the snow depth days for Mansfield are 50% of even the 2nd worst year.

This is pretty startling...in a 60-year period of record nothing has come even close to this. Given there will certainly be more snow depth days this season this will rise a little, but with only 25" at the stake and declining, it won't add too much.  This isn't a year where its 80" on the ground and will be for another month to pad the stats.

But really, this might be the most impressive data I've seen so far highlighting how bad this winter was.  I mean this isn't even close to anything else on record.  Even 1954-55 was only a half a season (the first season they put the stake up there) so toss that one. 

1956-57 was the previous low... but this winter is currently at about 50% of that.

Another stat to add to this lovely winter will be the fact that the snow depth days for Mansfield are 50% of even the 2nd worst year.

This is pretty startling...in a 60-year period of record nothing has come even close to this. Given there will certainly be more snow depth days this season this will rise a little, but with only 25" at the stake and declining, it won't add too much.  This isn't a year where its 80" on the ground and will be for another month to pad the stats.

But really, this might be the most impressive data I've seen so far highlighting how bad this winter was.  I mean this isn't even close to anything else on record.  Even 1954-55 was only a half a season (the first season they put the stake up there) so toss that one. 

1956-57 was the previous low... but this winter is currently at about 50% of that.

attachicon.gifSnow_depth_days.png

That is absolutely ridiculous but incredible. Can't believe I am here for the worst ratter ever lol.

I took these today at App Gap and the Bolton Access Road. I definitely want to return to these spots during peak foliage next fall!

I'm just going to put out a perma-complement on your aerial pics to avoid cluttering the thread every time.. great locations, great composition, great processing! 

I'm just going to put out a perma-complement on your aerial pics to avoid cluttering the thread every time.. great locations, great composition, great processing! 

Thank you. It is the only thing keeping me from the quarry right now ;). I suppose these are somewhat historic shots due to the lack of snow on the ground when many mountain areas normally see max depths.

Felt the earthquake this morning.  More noise than shaking.  Sounded like the plow coming up the road and I knew there was not enough snow for that.  Looked at the time and said to myself, I got to check and see if this was an earthquake.  Since living here I have felt 3. This was the weakest.  The other 2 were stronger.   First one was in a morning, warm with windows open.  My cat was on the window ledge looking out of the screen.  The house shook and she bolted.  No question that it was a quake.  Second one was in the evening.  We were watching TV.  Again a shake and this time a loud noise.  I rushed up and opened the slider to listen to the noise outside.  It was like a boom and it echoed through the hills.  Love to experience a real moderate quake, not enough to do damage but a woo this is wild!  That's how my folks in Baltimore and my brother in DC described the one they had several years ago.

27.7F light snow. Vis coming up, about 3 miles, sun dimly visible.  1/2" to add to the season.  We have had so many 1 an 2" snows.  Sorry Scott and Jeremy but you didn't miss much.  Brian, how much did you end up with?

And a musing?  Why do we use handles on these boards?  I could see if it was a political board talking about Trump or something and it was important for privacy but never understood on AMWX.  Guess it can get a little heated on the SNE boards.

Anyhow next...Gene

Felt the earthquake this morning.  More noise than shaking.  Sounded like the plow coming up the road and I knew there was not enough snow for that.  Looked at the time and said to myself, I got to check and see if this was an earthquake.  Since living here I have felt 3. This was the weakest.  The other 2 were stronger.   First one was in a morning, warm with windows open.  My cat was on the window ledge looking out of the screen.  The house shook and she bolted.  No question that it was a quake.  Second one was in the evening.  We were watching TV.  Again a shake and this time a loud noise.  I rushed up and opened the slider to listen to the noise outside.  It was like a boom and it echoed through the hills.  Love to experience a real moderate quake, not enough to do damage but a woo this is wild!  That's how my folks in Baltimore and my brother in DC described the one they had several years ago.

27.7F light snow. Vis coming up, about 3 miles, sun dimly visible.  1/2" to add to the season.  We have had so many 1 an 2" snows.  Sorry Scott and Jeremy but you didn't miss much.  Brian, how much did you end up with?

And a musing?  Why do we use handles on these boards?  I could see if it was a political board talking about Trump or something and it was important for privacy but never understood on AMWX.  Guess it can get a little heated on the SNE boards.

Anyhow next...Gene

I actually felt it here also but it was weak and just lasted a few seconds. I initially dismissed it until hearing about it just a short time ago.

I actually felt it here also but it was weak and just lasted a few seconds. I initially dismissed it until hearing about it just a short time ago.

you sure you felt that?  That's pretty far away from the epicenter for such a little shaker (magnitude 2.9).  Could you have noticed something different?

Anyhow next...Gene

My coworker and I thought we both heard a plow around then too. No major shakes...just the typical vibration from a plow going by.

Archived