joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sweet day.  Wind was epic for a while and so steady that I went across the street to feel it.  Peak gust of 44.

Took some video.  The sound of the wind going through the metal fence takes me back to being a little kid... used to stand on the boathouse roof a lot.  Now, I really hate going up there because it's super sketchy and rotted.

Pretty sweet day.  Wind was epic for a while and so steady that I went across the street to feel it.  Peak gust of 44.

Took some video.  The sound of the wind going through the metal fence takes me back to being a little kid... used to stand on the boathouse roof a lot.  Now, I really hate going up there because it's super sketchy and rotted.

that's awesome! so looks like a great day to go swimming  :) what's up with the anemometer?

Wow nice! You guys got hammered good. I also lied. Here is one ore (I deleted a couple that were overenhanced:

12525527_10103187038141929_8901195589789

Eyewall,  kind of a strange picture.  Is that clouds over the lake or fog on the water surface?  Doesn't look real. Love to see the picture without any enhancement at all.

Eyewall, kind of a strange picture. Is that clouds over the lake or fog on the water surface? Doesn't look real. Love to see the picture without any enhancement at all.

Yes clouds/fog right on the water. I will email the original later.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

What a great day watching the sky from thick fog this morning to building Cu to heavy showers.  So much going on in the atmosphere.  This is a long 2 minute time lapse of todays weather.  Gets more interesting in the PM. Was going to make the time lapse faster but then you loose the motion in the clouds as it all happens too fast.

On a separate note Newfound Lake was 90% ice covered at 2pm with thin dark ice.  Heavy rain shower with high winds came through and within 15 minutes a 7 mile long north to south orientated lake was cleared of ice. Never seen so much ice disapear within minutes. Just a bit remaining in the sheltered southern bay.

https://video.nest.com/clip/3011cb0f104749958bb2500579955b54.mp4

Woke up to rain in town at 750ft, drive the 5 minutes to work and it switched to snow at 1,300ft with a 1" pasting at the office at 1,550ft. Groomers saying between 3-4" at the PM/High Road spot at 3,000ft.

Snowing nicely out. Amazingly different look from home with just 1" of snow but it's plastered sideways to everything so does a good job making it look white.

Woke up to rain in town at 750ft, drive the 5 minutes to work and it switched to snow at 1,300ft with a 1" pasting at the office at 1,550ft. Groomers saying between 3-4" at the PM/High Road spot at 3,000ft.

Snowing nicely out. Amazingly different look from home with just 1" of snow but it's plastered sideways to everything so does a good job making it look white.

Yeah, just rain at the house, but driving around Waterbury at ~500’ I was definitely getting drops on the windshield that had that transitional frozen look.  There’s actually a coating of white on the ground from Richmond westward into Williston and it’s snowing harder the farther west I go.  I’m seeing cars coming from the west on I-89 with more snow on them as I get closer to Burlington, which is the reverse of what one typically sees.

Yeah, just rain at the house, but driving around Waterbury at ~500’ I was definitely getting drops on the windshield that had that transitional frozen look.  There’s actually a coating of white on the ground from Richmond westward into Williston and it’s snowing harder the farther west I go.  I’m seeing cars coming from the west on I-89 with more snow on them as I get closer to Burlington, which is the reverse of what one typically sees.

Interesting.

Up here there's about 1.25" now on any elevated surfaces though more like a half inch on previously wet or muddy surfaces.

Not hard to imagine how the upper mountain has a few times that amount as this base area snow is like 6:1 ratio slop.  Probably a quarter inch of liquid in this 1" haha.

The plows are pushing water ahead of the snow.  It must've been snowing hard at a very marginal temperature for a while last night.

The ground is whitening here, too.

In regards to this upcoming storm, my sentiments are 'stay the f*k away'.  Mother Nature's had all season to bring meaningful snow to the party and never bothered to show, much less even call to say she was delayed and on her way.  Not only is the party over, but the hosts are in the barn pulling out the summer chairs, having already dusted off the margarita glasses.  This has the makings of a rude and very uncomfortable moment if she comes gliding in, demanding hors d'oeuvre and someone to put away her coat.

The ground is whitening here, too.

In regards to this upcoming storm, my sentiments are 'stay the f*k away'.  Mother Nature's had all season to bring meaningful snow to the party and never bothered to show, much less even call to say she was delayed and on her way.  Not only is the party over, but the hosts are in the barn pulling out the summer chairs, having already dusted off the margarita glasses.  This has the makings of a rude and very uncomfortable moment if she comes gliding in, demanding hors d'oeuvre and someone to put away her coat.

+1

And that's the Mt Mansfield I know and love, haha. 

The one orographic over-performer of the season.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

By far and away the best skiing in at least a month. Real sad though when a classic Mansfield vort fart is the best skiing between late feb and mid-march. In "normal" years 3-5" of fluff is farted out of ever west breeze. 

Oh well, I'll sure as heck take it. 

Archived