Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

The ground is whitening here, too.

In regards to this upcoming storm, my sentiments are 'stay the f*k away'. Mother Nature's had all season to bring meaningful snow to the party and never bothered to show, much less even call to say she was delayed and on her way. Not only is the party over, but the hosts are in the barn pulling out the summer chairs, having already dusted off the margarita glasses. This has the makings of a rude and very uncomfortable moment if she comes gliding in, demanding hors d'oeuvre and someone to put away her coat.

Lol, good one

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First snow in more than 3 weeks, no stickage on anything. Just want to add I've seen enough Graupel this year to last a lifetime, so I'm all set in regards to that, thanks.

Currently I have had just a T for snowfall in MAR.  I was looking at as much local CO-OP data as possible, and there has never been less than 1" here locally for March--well at least I went back 50 years and stopped at that point( probably could go another 50 years if I kept checking). So if the coastal whiffs and the last 10 days of March shoot blanks, it will truly a once in a lifetime event and just add the to futility lore of 15-16.

First snow in more than 3 weeks, no stickage on anything. Just want to add I've seen enough Graupel this year to last a lifetime, so I'm all set in regards to that, thanks.

Currently I have had just a T for snowfall in MAR.  I was looking at as much local CO-OP data as possible, and there has never been less than 1" here locally for March--well at least I went back 50 years and stopped at that point( probably could go another 50 years if I kept checking). So if the coastal whiffs and the last 10 days of March shoot blanks, it will truly a once in a lifetime event and just add the to futility lore of 15-16.

I'd easily believe that.  I don't think southern VT on the west slope (or anywhere even in the pit of Bennington) has ever gotten through an entire March without 1.0" of snowfall.  I mean that's avoiding every possible reason to snow in any capacity.  I'm sure there have been years with like 3" or something in a real bad month but under 1" has to be near impossible to do at around 1,000ft in southern VT in March.

Well with the latest miss upcoming I think we can truly call a time of death on this winter and at least here call it a complete and total failure.

You're still in the anger stage...for like 3 months running now ;).

Anyway, it was worse than what you experienced down in SVT/WMA/ENY.  Just remember that.  ALB hasn't seen a 2" snowfall in over 400 days.

Anyway, it was worse than what you experienced down in SVT/WMA/ENY.  Just remember that.  ALB hasn't seen a 2" snowfall in over 400 days.

That's pretty remarkable.  400 days.  I wonder what the long term odds are for not seeing at least a 2" snowfall for the rest of the season. Sunday night should be a miss and nothing this week and by then we are into the last days of March.  I did not record a 6" snowfall this winter which is amazing for me.  More amazing is that probably many places in the Whites didn't get more than a 6" snowfall this winter either.  

On another note my pond is finally full.  Usually I have the mid April snow melt off to keep it full.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the spring runoff season has already happened.  Soon I will be whinning about drought and missing T storms.  A resolution this year is to keep that at a minimum!

Yeah they definitely deserve a redemption storm the most. Anyway here is what the western slopes looked like this evening:

12671994_10103190105375169_6859770120608

12525464_10103190105355209_2301172056239

1493478_10103190105405109_27982536823209

Well with the latest miss upcoming I think we can truly call a time of death on this winter and at least here call it a complete and total failure.

No ****. Only thing left is the funeral.

25f here. Happy to see some patches of snow on the ground. Should lock up tight tonight. You can't make this up.

Snow totals going up at area ski areas:

Jay Peak now reporting 3-5" at the summit.

Smuggs with 4".

Bolton with 2".

Here’s what I pulled together for the totals for this storm from the Vermont ski areas; the north to south listing is below, and you can really see that typical accumulation gradient that plays out with a lot of these types of cold fronts:

Jay Peak: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley:3”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 2”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

A couple photos from yesterday's elevation dependent snowfall...

I love how when you hit the near freezing layer the snow gets much wetter and plasters to the trees.  So there was this like band of really caked trees towards the base of the mountain.

And here's a shot of the Sterling Ridge...

The winter that keeps on giving. Another SNE hit. :lol:

What **** luck.

It is quite an amazing streak.  Last winter too.  You were a bit closer to the big storms last year so got more snow than me but its crazy how we just can't get something up here.  Either way its getting to the end of March so who cares, its just laughable!

I'll switch to the NNE thread for next winter seeing as how WNE is in the same club for snowfall.

Haha, its almost like west of a BDL-ORH line in SNE should join the NNE thread, and folks like Dryslot and the Maine coastal plain should join the SNE thread. 

For the past several years coastal Maine has more in common with BOS and PVD than it has with the rest of NNE, haha.  Likewise, west of ORH-BDL has had a lot more in common with the NNE west of say LEW-CON. 

Haha, its almost like west of a BDL-ORH line in SNE should join the NNE thread, and folks like Dryslot and the Maine coastal plain should join the SNE thread.

For the past several years coastal Maine has more in common with BOS and PVD than it has with the rest of NNE, haha. Likewise, west of ORH-BDL has had a lot more in common with the NNE west of say LEW-CON.

Sensibly speaking, NW MA is more CNE than SNE, especially in cold season paradigms.

Sensibly speaking, NW MA is more CNE than SNE, especially in cold season paradigms.

Well if you divide New England into thirds... NW MA is comfortably in the CNE block.  But so is all of northern MA.

I do think it could almost be divided better on a SE to NW type axis rather than just due north-south, especially recently with the average storm track the past few seasons.

Well if you divide New England into thirds... NW MA is comfortably in the CNE block. But so is all of northern MA.

I do think it could almost be divided better on a SE to NW type axis rather than just due north-south, especially recently with the average storm track the past few seasons.

You mean SW to NE

Gotcha. I think the axis would technically be SW to NE though? I'm not a geometry expert by any means, but I picture the axis as the dividing line itself.

Ahh yes you're right... the physical line would be SW to NE.  I guess axis was the wrong word... maybe gradient would've been better.  A NW to SE gradient, haha.

Anyway, another stunning day out there.  Not a cloud in the sky.

Yesterday there were a couple clouds, and it was cold, but still a beauty.

Cool pic, Something about the colors makes it look like an artist's rendering or something.. 

Archived