• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Interesting that 2012 took 10 days to ice out after the lake temp hit 39F... especially since that was the warmest period of that month.  I would've expected it to ice out much quicker.

Mid month Lakeport Coop was at least getting down to freezing at night. But those 5 straight days 75+ starting the 19th, was the nail in the coffin.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What season is it?

Roxbury mtn Rd

Too late. PF already posted that pic somewhere here. I have friends and relatives that I plan on not visiting for a month per year usually. In 2012 I got stuck heading to play golf at Barre Country club on March 18th. Sat there waiting over an hour for the tow truck to come get me.

Just got back from the Gaspe/Quebec City. Pretty unbelievable.  The most snow I've ever seen in an urban area (Boston last year included). Just enormous snowbanks.  Depths increased steadily from the border to 3-4' along the St. Lawrence River.  We arrived after the ~30cm storm from last week- probably 3' or more on the ground in Quebec City proper. Snow removal there must be a huge budget item. Graders, bucket loaders, giant snowblowers on front-end loaders everywhere loading a never-ending line of snow removal rigged dump trucks.  

As for the Gaspe/Chic Chocs- avalanche probes showed around 40-48" in the ~1000' valley floors, with 70-80" up high (2500') in the trees. Never bothered to measure in the alpine bowls.  What a fantastic place- you can ski right down to sea level near St. Anne des Monts (we didn't do this)- snow preservation up there is so good, and it shows especially at lower elevations. Learned that they do get ocean-effect on the St. Lawrence until it ices over (which it was fully iced when we drove up, breaking up as we left).  Even after a blizzard with 150 Km/h winds on top, there was excellent untracked trees and bowls to be skied with stable zones. 

Another thing that's really cool is that it's in the Taiga zone- so big, western-style fir trees are everywhere. That, and birches covering some of the bowls. It's like a combination of Colorado alpine bowls, Hokaido birch tree runs (just from the pictures- never been) and British Columbia tree runs with pillows and all- and the pitch is a nice 30-40+ degrees consistently. Definitely lived up to the all the talk.  

Just got back from the Gaspe/Quebec City. Pretty unbelievable. The most snow I've ever seen in an urban area (Boston last year included). Just enormous snowbanks. Depths increased steadily from the border to 3-4' along the St. Lawrence River. We arrived after the ~30cm storm from last week- probably 3' or more on the ground in Quebec City proper. Snow removal there must be a huge budget item. Graders, bucket loaders, giant snowblowers on front-end loaders everywhere loading a never-ending line of snow removal rigged dump trucks.

As for the Gaspe/Chic Chocs- avalanche probes showed around 40-48" in the ~1000' valley floors, with 70-80" up high (2500') in the trees. Never bothered to measure in the alpine bowls. What a fantastic place- you can ski right down to sea level near St. Anne des Monts (we didn't do this)- snow preservation up there is so good, and it shows especially at lower elevations. Learned that they do get ocean-effect on the St. Lawrence until it ices over (which it was fully iced when we drove up, breaking up as we left). Even after a blizzard with 150 Km/h winds on top, there was excellent untracked trees and bowls to be skied with stable zones.

Another thing that's really cool is that it's in the Taiga zone- so big, western-style fir trees are everywhere. That, and birches covering some of the bowls. It's like a combination of Colorado alpine bowls, Hokaido birch tree runs (just from the pictures- never been) and British Columbia tree runs with pillows and all- and the pitch is a nice 30-40+ degrees consistently. Definitely lived up to the all the talk.

Nice. I'm in Montreal this weekend and just came back from the Biodome, where there is an exhibit on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Made me think of the Gaspe. Anyway, though not as much as in the Chic Chocs, I was surprised that there is still snow that looks as deep as 10"-12" in shady spots in the Botanical Garden. Nice day to be walking around the city. Canadiens game tonight and then home tomorrow.

Nice. I'm in Montreal this weekend and just came back from the Biodome, where there is an exhibit on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Made me think of the Gaspe. Anyway, though not as much as in the Chic Chocs, I was surprised that there is still snow that looks as deep as 10"-12" in shady spots in the Botanical Garden. Nice day to be walking around the city. Canadiens game tonight and then home tomorrow.

Very cool report.  Years ago I decided I wanted to drive as far north of Boston as the roads would go.  So I headed due north.  This was in the summer.  At Quebec City headed north to Lac Saint Jean.  That lake is so big that on the shore you just look out to the horizen and think your at the ocean.  Then head north for another 100 miles or more (all dirt roads)  to Chibougamau Quebec. The emptiness and vastness of the wilderness was amazing.  Hundreds of miles of fir trees and no cars, towns or people.  Got to Chibougamau pop 7000 and that was the end of the line.  Mix of french and Intuit Native American.  No one spoke English. Hundreds of clear huge lakes.  Didn't get dark till about 11pm.  Another world just 2 day drive north of NNE.  I think latitude wise I was a little north of Gaspe and well west.  One thing I remember was all the parking lots had outlets for car heaters.  Tough to start cars with their winter temps.

Just got back from the Gaspe/Quebec City. Pretty unbelievable.  The most snow I've ever seen in an urban area (Boston last year included). Just enormous snowbanks.  Depths increased steadily from the border to 3-4' along the St. Lawrence River.  We arrived after the ~30cm storm from last week- probably 3' or more on the ground in Quebec City proper. Snow removal there must be a huge budget item. Graders, bucket loaders, giant snowblowers on front-end loaders everywhere loading a never-ending line of snow removal rigged dump trucks.  

As for the Gaspe/Chic Chocs- avalanche probes showed around 40-48" in the ~1000' valley floors, with 70-80" up high (2500') in the trees. Never bothered to measure in the alpine bowls.  What a fantastic place- you can ski right down to sea level near St. Anne des Monts (we didn't do this)- snow preservation up there is so good, and it shows especially at lower elevations. Learned that they do get ocean-effect on the St. Lawrence until it ices over (which it was fully iced when we drove up, breaking up as we left).  Even after a blizzard with 150 Km/h winds on top, there was excellent untracked trees and bowls to be skied with stable zones. 

pics?

Great account, but those fir are a concern.  Spruce budworm is killing them north of the St. Lawrence, and have crossed the river to begin serious damage on Gaspe.  The 1970s-80s outbreak probably killed 200 million cords in PQ, up to 20 million just in Maine.  Foresters here are just hoping they don't swarm into Maine in huge numbers.

BTV tried to put together a map to show how far below normal snowfall we are... I know if winter ended today I'd be about 80" below normal at home.

It sounds like we’re very close on that number - I just checked my data, and as of today it says that snowfall is 80.5” below average.  Also of note is that for the first time this season, the snowfall here has dropped below the first percentile in terms of seasonal average.  So, getting to this point in the season with this little snowfall should be a less than 1 in 100 year event using my data set.

It sounds like we’re very close on that number - I just checked my data, and as of today it says that snowfall is 80.5” below average. Also of note is that for the first time this season, the snowfall here has dropped below the first percentile in terms of seasonal average. So, getting to this point in the season with this little snowfall should be a less than 1 in 100 year event using my data set.

Brutal.

I was trying to think of the precedent for getting a round of golf in followed by "significant" snowfall in the area over the last 6 years working at GYX.

Ran back through my app for dates I entered scorecards:

March 21, 2012 (I could've sworn we played earlier than that, but still pretty sure it was after St. Paddy's) - 2.0" fell on the 28th

April 5, 2013 - no new snowfall over an inch

April 14, 2014 - 1.1" fell on the 16th

April 20, 2015 - no new snowfall over an inch

March 9, 2016 (and also yesterday) - TBD

It is 8 days out. By 3 days out we will be saying congrats Mont Tremblant

eyewall,  I don't know.  I have a good feeling about the next 10 days. Owning this house since 1989 I have seen many storms later than March 15th.  Once we get to about April 5th it gets harder especially at lower elevation.

On a side note I have not flown my drone in quite awhile.  I want to get it up to take a look at the stage of the ice on Newfound Lake but today's breeze will not quit.  My rule is if I can see the white pines moving its too windy up at 400 feet.  Maybe later this PM as the gradient relaxes.

Euro on board,see you soon

Thanks Ginx.  Maybe next year I will pay for the Euro.  I know you hate to ask back yard questions but I'll ask you anyhow and since your such a nice guy I bet you'll answer.  Does it still have some front end snow tomorrow PM and night for us?  The NAM seemed to show a couple inches possible.  Thanks!!  Gene

eyewall,  I don't know.  I have a good feeling about the next 10 days. Owning this house since 1989 I have seen many storms later than March 15th.  Once we get to about April 5th it gets harder especially at lower elevation.

On a side note I have not flown my drone in quite awhile.  I want to get it up to take a look at the stage of the ice on Newfound Lake but today's breeze will not quit.  My rule is if I can see the white pines moving its too windy up at 400 feet.  Maybe later this PM as the gradient relaxes.

Yeah I went low altitude to test a new filter due to the wind (polarizer) This is not a typical winter so I hope you are right. Here is how the failed winter looks in BTV today:

12809662_10103177032687939_7032784351863

Euro on board,see you soon

Sort of....definitely a much different look than the GFS that's for sure.  GFS is a perfect track and EURO is 986mb over Pittsburgh, NH.

Still manages 6-8" at MVL to IZG. 

4" at LCI and 1" at CON. 

The GFS is like a region wide SECS/MECS.

Sort of....definitely a much different look than the GFS that's for sure.  GFS is a perfect track and EURO is 986mb over Pittsburgh, NH.

Still manages 6-8" at MVL to IZG. 

4" at LCI and 1" at CON. 

The GFS is like a region wide SECS/MECS.

attachicon.gifgfs_6hr_snow_acc_neng_36.png

If shows this 12 hours before I will get on board ;) Anyway Red Rocks was quite nice this evening:

12195058_10103177980842829_5022744998034

Morning shot looking at Mount Washington just after sunrise.  The cirrus was lighting up and there was a a few small clouds on a thin band near summit level in the Whites.  There's something shiny reflecting off Mount Washington and I was thinking it must be a snowfield.  Hard to see but its there.

Archived