mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it 31 at 1550 and 27 at 1600ft?

2600ft maybe?

MPM taking the reading?

:lol:

I think he meant 2600. Congrats on the snow up there.

:lol:

I completely missed this dialog.  Yes I meant 2600ft.

The FourRunner Quad does 2,100 vertical feet from 1,500ft to 3,600ft... so we have top and bottom station and then there's a snowmaking station at 2,660ft. 

So it works nicely for two 1,000 vertical foot thermal profiles.

Looks like it was about 1.5"-2". Seemed to be more on the ground than on the snow board I use for measuring as melting was taking place.

Interesting you mentioned that.... and congrats on almost 2".  That's a nice little event.

Here I noticed the same thing.  I reported the 0.3" that was on the snowboard, but when I took the dog for a walk along the river, the new snow on the old snow seemed to be at least an inch.  It was only a quarter inch on any melted areas, but its pretty easy to see the new snow on top of the old snow, as the old stuff was rock hard with a stout crust. 

Very interesting...but I bet at 33-35F it was just the right temperature for steady light to moderate snow to accumulate nicely to the old snow (cold surface) and not to any darker or even elevated surface (such as an elevated snowboard, as mine is 18" off the ground). 

0.3" of tiny flakes and graupel in the foothills.  Was somewhat surprised such a trivial amount was still there when I got home 5 hr after snow had ended.  Cloudy and cool, but March sun can get rid of tiny snow dustings even thru the clouds.

As anticipated, the Thurs night/Fri event is now mid 30s RA here on 18z gfs.  Even where it's cold enough at the surface (MLT) it looks like a ZR/IP mess.  Still 3 days to change.

0.3" of tiny flakes and graupel in the foothills.  Was somewhat surprised such a trivial amount was still there when I got home 5 hr after snow had ended.  Cloudy and cool, but March sun can get rid of tiny snow dustings even thru the clouds.

As anticipated, the Thurs night/Fri event is now mid 30s RA here on 18z gfs.  Even where it's cold enough at the surface (MLT) it looks like a ZR/IP mess.  Still 3 days to change.

The trend on the models is over the same areas that have been receiving the snow this winter to continue

Interesting you mentioned that.... and congrats on almost 2". That's a nice little event.

Here I noticed the same thing. I reported the 0.3" that was on the snowboard, but when I took the dog for a walk along the river, the new snow on the old snow seemed to be at least an inch. It was only a quarter inch on any melted areas, but its pretty easy to see the new snow on top of the old snow, as the old stuff was rock hard with a stout crust.

Very interesting...but I bet at 33-35F it was just the right temperature for steady light to moderate snow to accumulate nicely to the old snow (cold surface) and not to any darker or even elevated surface (such as an elevated snowboard, as mine is 18" off the ground).

Yeah, and this all fell while I was at work and I was just looking at what was on the ground and my driveway, I didn't measure. There was definitely less on the board though. My measuring board is a white plastic table that's is about 3' high. It's not located in a great spot since its on my deck and could definitely be impacted by wind blowing snow off the roof.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Just 0.3” here along the Waterbury/Bolton line – seems similar to what fell in the Burlington area.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.0

Snow Density: 16.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

Yeah, and this all fell while I was at work and I was just looking at what was on the ground and my driveway, I didn't measure. There was definitely less on the board though. My measuring board is a white plastic table that's is about 3' high. It's not located in a great spot since it’s on my deck and could definitely be impacted by wind blowing snow off the roof.

Great observations, and indeed you can see that sort of thing happen in the spring and fall (and of course even in the middle of winter depending on the pattern).  What I find best is to have both elevated and ground-based snowboards in operation, because they both have their merits with respect to catching/preserving snow for measurement.  Elevated boards are great at those times when there’s no snowpack down and the ground is too warm to accumulate anything (happens a lot with those first storms in the fall).  Ground boards can be great on the other end, when warm air melts what’s on the elevated surfaces but snow is preserved on the boards that sit atop the cold snowpack.  Yesterday was a perfect example – my elevated board had just water on it when I got home because the snow melted in the warm air, but because they were insulated by the snowpack, my ground boards still held snow so that I could get a core. 

Already high of 58F prior to 6am at the Spruce Peak base area at the Ski Resort...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Looks like Sugarbush base is 57F with 56F at the Mt Ellen base...so that entire east side mid-slope elevation is just torching from Stowe to Bush with 55-60F to start the day.

oh yeah, we're screwed.  game over.  stick a fork in it.

Why say that? We've got weeks of spring skiing. Yesterday was like euphoric.

spring comes after winter.  no winter, no spring.  I was hoping for one last shot of winter.  I chose to save a few bucks and not go out to BC last week.  bad bad move.  they got crushed.  and I can't come up this weekend again.  I'm really bummed today

Archived